IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 3/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, Johnnydev said:

HI @MasterWarzombie

nice order.

you may be aware of it, but the SR orange is directional. The orange fuse must be placed in the Farad super 3 with SR from back to front.

The SR orange also needs a very long warm-up time and can even temporarily sound worse in the meantime. so be patient.

The farad super3 already sounds good, but it also gets better with time.

how long did you have to burn in the orange fuse - just got one and have it in the Farad...

16 hours ago, MasterWarzombie said:

I have an orange fuse on my farad which feeds my etherregen as soon as the farad is purchased.
I don't know if the farad without the sr Orange fuse sounds different, but I find without any poetry that the music is more spacious, open.
it's a good combo.

I have for a short week a KECES P8 on which I can change the fuse. However I do not know which one to put.

can you please share your experience with the Keces 8 compared to the Farad... for me the Keces thickens the sound in the Bass and middle area compared to the Farad which sounds even on all levels bass middle highs....

28 minutes ago, MasterWarzombie said:

My Keces power my Roon Nucleus Plus (19 V) and my Sotm streamer (9V) and my Farad (9V) feeds the etherregen. I have only tried to swap to make an objective comparison.
However, I would like to try FARAD on my streamer but I don't want to break my current listening quality.
All my elements are in place. I now want to enjoy the choices I have chosen.
My next upgrade will be to replace my Chord Qutest dac with a Chord Hugo TT2 to listen to music with headphones

makes sense when everything is at its place and you enjoy - congratualtions

28 minutes ago, soares said:

yes Martin. Totally agree. They really make a difference! Perhaps one year ago, I saw a good used deal  on AS for a DC cable from Sonore (apologies Alex). I did the upgrade from a Ghent (don’t remember the model) and I felt a difference. By curiosity, I asked the former owner if he too had made an upgrade. He confirmed that he was using an audio sensibility silver cable and was very satisfied with the differences felt. So I decided to take the risk and I am now a happy owner of 2 of those cables and considering a 3rd one. 

Hi Soares, can you paste a link for the DC cable from audio sensibility can't find a DC cable on their website....

thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

they work and incredibly well - for little investment just try them out - nobody can tell you how it sounds in your system - how much have we spent in expensive gear without the effect in relation to the money spent - this is a no risk story...

as is ERegen + daisy chained ERs...got my second today....burns in....connection between the two ERs via fiber works flawlessly....

they will later connect to the double buffalso switch from Afterdark - just wsiting for the PSU with 5A from Adrian to do this...

A loving thank you to you all who are contributing their findings - I love it!!!!!

easy to forget listening to the results - almost no time for it regarding the many changes through the recommendations here - the burning ins take most of the time....funny- or?

sorry wrong tab....

from Cisco to ER B-side via LAN > ER A-side >via fiber > second ER A-side so far the constellationwhich works already fabulous - but making it better is the goal...

to do that I get a double Buffalo 2016 from Adrian, which needs a 1GByte connection to work - when I connect via ER - B side to the buffalo there is only 100Mbs not 1 GB....

If I use the ER A-side will I have 1 GB output - remember I startd with ER B - side (with only 100MBs)

or is it negleciable and the 1GB will travel along with the ER and it only counts that at the end there is ER A-side with 1BG output - or is all lost at the very beginning with ER B-side.

If thats the case then no way to make it work as a switch endpoint - then I could only use it after the Cisco switch....any ideas????

12 minutes ago, basillus said:

Why does yours double Buffalo 2016 ned a 1GByte connection to work?

You can via software set the ports to 100mb or 1GByte and I think that a 1GByte port always accept a 100mb line, because it is smaller. 

If it is a problem some preferred to connect the Buffalo to the A-side with both the Lan and the Fiber cable. 

i will have to ask Adrian about that - which software will make that possible - thank you. basillus  - if this is not possible I just have to see how to keep the fast connection throughout the chain.....

53 minutes ago, basillus said:

The software app is “Business Switch Configuration Tool” but start with dl the manual. 

Maybe there are newer files in Japan, but here is the dl site in U.S. 

https://www.buffalotech.com/products/gigabit-green-ethernet-smart-switches#tab-downloads

thank you, basillus - I will ask Adrian about that since his switch is a sandwich of 2 and this might not work with it - it might need the 1Giga power...

12 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The ER B side only runs at 100Mb, the A side ports are fully negotiable to 10/100/1000. There is a switch chip on the A side but not the B side. So you CAN connect at 100 on the B side 1Gb on the A side. The A side port will be transferring data  at 1Gb, but the overall throughput will never be above 100Mb, there is a lot of "dead air" between packets.

So you can run the B side at 100M and the A side at 1G.

John S.

Thank you John,

do I understand it right 1GB on the A side but at the end there will be only 100Mb coming out even when the A side of 2nd ER connected via fiber to the 1st ER and LAN from A 2nd ER going to whatever after???

Because of dead packets?

What would be the use of the 1GB then?

By the way - the ER is fantastic and the second added a lot of more allover!

Great  - thanks!!!!!

15 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I agree with this.  One could interpret the DX as making the sound "sterile"- but one needs to give time for the ears to adjust.  It is the result of noise removal IMHO.  Yes, removing noise often sounds somewhat "sterile" or "flat" at first because we are used to what noise sounds like.

I remember when I got my OXCO, I had a very similar reaction. "Wow- this is clean". but it is "sterile".  Well,  I got used to it.  Now I cannot go back.

Once I told a fellow that I buy cold cuts without preservatives and he told me "I love the taste of preservatives".  Why would I buy meat without preservatives, it tastes to bland.???

True, at the end of the day, if we like preservatives, well- we like them.  But I do believe that this is what is happening.  I could be oversimplifying, so all this is IMHO.

sounds very plausible...

and is also my experience - since I get my system more and more clean I have inbetween to get used to the naked sound which after a while is experienced as more true und right there - whilst before I always tried for a nice comforting sound  which wasn't it....

27 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Just connected two new DX's between NAS and Side A of ER.  Result:- improvement, but not nearly as much as between Router and OM...

I cannot wait to get my second ER any day.  I really don't know how things can improve by much anymore.  My system is so freaking transparent; stripped of any possible coloration which is not already built into the components themselves.

I am a happy man.

congrats man!

6 hours ago, PYP said:

I know it is time to move on from the DXE filter discussion, but I think I owe @MasterWarzombie the kind of review he loves.  This one is for you MW.

I plugged the first DXE filter into my router and the second into an opticalModule.  Immediately, I heard a depth and rightness.  Previously, my very transparent system allowed me to detect that the singer had eaten a lozenge for her sore throat before the performance.  Now, I could tell it was lemon flavored.  As the music played, a small bird flew into the house, landed on my arm and started to sing with the music.  A cricket hopped into the house and added his percussion in perfect time to the upright bass.  I looked outside and the clouds had parted.  Suddenly, a double rainbow appeared.  The color of the second rainbow was in reverse order of the first, as if to symbolize using two DXE filters.  I was speechless and my mind went blank.  Until a single thought emerged:  what if I used a second set of filters in series?  

cool, PYP - poesie instead of measurements - what a relief!

10 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

I’d like to second MatinT: the DX filters have sucked the life out of my music. Tried both shielded and unshielded cables, with the same dismal results.

I’d say that if you already enjoy great sound, don’t go near them.  

may be they take so many distortions away that the songs being used to show iritiations which couldn't be heard before - thats what I notice and it is not the fault of the DX s but its revealing of whats behind the curtain