IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

34 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Is there any difference in results and/or sound quality with EtherRegen going A to B as designed vs going B to A ? 

" slight increase in phase noise of the clock when going from B to A"

i.e best to clock the signal on the output side of the moat.

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

23 minutes ago, PYP said:

Does that refer to the eR's internal clock?  (the link didn't land on Alex's answer).

Not sure what you meant by "best to clock the signal on the output side of the moat."  The only clock connection is to the output side (B side)....  

Hi. I was linking to John's long post.

It applies whatever clock you use, internal or external - when the ER is reversed the clocked signal, being on the B-side, now has the moat to negotiate before going out the A-side to your DAC, hence the small increase in phase noise.

Best,

James

Intel NUC 8i7BEH (Roon Rock) --> M1 Mac Mini (HQPlayer) --> English Electric 8 Switch --> Sonore Optical Module --> Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Giesemann Emperor Double Crown Clock --> Holo Audio Red (NAA)  --> Holo Audio May KTE DAC --> Holo Audio Serene Preamp --> JL Audio CR-1 Crossover --> [ (Parasound JC 1+ Monoblocks --> Monitor Audio Platinum PL 300 II Speakers) + JL Audio f113v2 Subwoofer ]

22 minutes ago, Duckworp said:

Thanks for your reply and advice. Where do you see the link speed in the name of the SFP?   The name of mine is below but I don’t see where you see the speed of 100 Mbit/s.  What would be a code for 1GBit/s?  Thanks again. 

Cisco GLC-FE-100FX Compatible 100BASE-FX SFP 1310nm 2km DOM LC MMF Transceiver Module

This 1000BASE-SX module will work for the Cisco switch you have, the fiber cable you have and the ER:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U77VPX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best,

James

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@Duckworp No need to buy Cisco SFP for the 2960 switch. 

Indeed. Here is Amazon.co.uk link since you are in blighty:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/10Gtek-Multimode-Transceiver-GLC-SX-MMD-1000Base-SX/dp/B01DD0Z7D8?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Hi there, this might be a good time to quote the User Guide:

"Regarding Ethernet cables: We are frequently asked for guidance regarding Ethernet cables to use with the EtherREGEN. This can be a controversial subject—by what means can an Ethernet cable affect the sound?—and absent objective evidence of variations, we will decline to recommend purchase of any fancy or expensive Ethernet cabling. Still, ultimate audio is a pursuit with many variables not yet fully understood. Not long ago few would believe an Ethernet switch could make a sonic impact—so we are open-minded about experimentation with network cables. However, there are some very real physical differences between certain Ethernet cables which can affect fine audio systems. Specifically, the shielding of Ethernet cables and if the wire shield on the cable is electrically connected to metal-shelled RJ45 plugs at both ends. For this explanation we will refer to such cables as “shield-tied.” It is desirable to avoid connection of multiple shield-tied cables into the RJ45 ports on the ‘A’-side of the EtherREGEN. This has nothing at all to do with data or signal quality. In fact, this recommendation is not even specific to the EtherREGEN. Ethernet cables having metal RJ45 shells and end-to-end connected shield wires will unite the grounds and zero-volt power domains of the equipment they are attached to. This provides a path for potentially detrimental AC leakage loops to form. If all you are attaching with such cables (on the ‘A’ side) are computer, NAS, and the feed from your main switch or modem/router, the leakage loops formed between that gear will likely be fairly benign. But if one of those components is somehow also connected to your audio/video system, you may introduce undesirable leakage currents. Keep in mind that the above is exclusively with regards to ‘A’-side EtherREGEN connections (or with standard switches). The ‘B’ side of the EtherREGEN is neither susceptible, nor can it become part of, ANY leakage loops. The ‘B’ side circuitry and port exist on their own entirely isolated power and ground domain. [Only the External clock BNC ground is common to the ‘B’-side ground-plane.] So if you have a fancy metal-shell shield-tied Ethernet cable, go ahead and use it on the ‘B’ side port for connection your DAC-attached streamer/renderer endpoint. This is the connection that matters most when using an EtherREGEN anyway: If you are going to hear a difference with an Ethernet cable, it will more likely be with the ‘B’-side cable. This is also a good one to keep short."

Best,

James

39 minutes ago, James Stephens said:

I use ethernet cables from Ghent Audio that are shielded via the JSSG360 method ... the shield is not connected at the ends and so it brings the traditional benefits of shielding ... namely blocking EMI .. but also blocks leakage currents. I use them everywhere because although I only have a single fiber connection to the A-side of my ER, there are other places in my network .. router, modem etc where I desire to block leakage currents.

JSSG aka "John Swenson Shield Ground" is a subject in itself and I'm not an expert. The 360 method is a specific implementation of it. 

4 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Here is a good cable:

https://www.ghentaudio.com/pc/et11.html

Thanks for the link. That's what I am using too 😄. Best, James

1 hour ago, LewinskiH01 said:

How (un)flexible is this cable?

Thinking of eR sitting by the computer attached to the DAC, with B-side of eR and pc connector being 8" apart, and connecting in U (connectors facing out), will a 16" cable do or should I get something longer?

This cable is on the stiff side. Ghent Cable lengths include the connectors and with those cables you'll lose 2" including the connector + sleeve at each end. I'd be more inclined to go longer  .. I suggest 0.5m (approx. 19.5") to better ensure you don't exert sideways stress on the connectors.

Best,

James

7 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

I went from this above Ghent (now on mac mini m1 server in adjoining room) to this Ghent (& have thought it an improvement) -

ET12 Linkway CAT8 40Gbps/2000MHz Ethernet(JSSG360) Cable.

Thanks for sharing. I have actually been meaning to try that cable on the B-side DAC connection of my ER .... I plan to add one to my next order. 

20 hours ago, James Stephens said:

I use ethernet cables from Ghent Audio that are shielded via the JSSG360 method ... the shield is not connected at the ends and so it brings the traditional benefits of shielding ... namely blocking EMI .. but also blocks leakage currents. I use them everywhere because although I only have a single fiber connection to the A-side of my ER, there are other places in my network .. router, modem etc where I desire to block leakage currents.

Best,

James

Correction from John on Isolation thread Page 3 as I had this wrong (apologies all) 

====

Just a word of clarification: the shield tied/not tied Ethernet cable ONLY affects true ground loops. High impedance leakage current will go through ANY Ethernet cable (except one that is not plugged in!)

Quick refresher:

Ground loop: caused by voltage difference (50/60Hz) between safety grounds on different outlets.

Leakage loop: current flowing from mains AC (NOT safety ground), through power supply to DC output. Can travel to other boxes and either go through leakage in another power supply or get shunted through a safety ground connection.

I've written extensively about this in other posts.

John S

=====

Best,

James

Hi all,

Interesting point of note  ... as I understand it the ER was limited to 100Mbps on the "clean" B-side to reduce jitter since it is less noisy that GbE.

Best,

James

7 hours ago, roman410 said:

If I remember good, Alex from Uptone noted somewhere, the reason of speed limited to 100Mbps on the "B clean side" ethernet port it is only because the time when the etherRegen was dizained 1 GB ISOLATOR chips was not on the market.

Right ... so I imagine 100Mbps was a better choice for the B "clean" side .... back then .... but things change and maybe that's not true now ...

The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past.

Best,

James

All this talk of SFP vs SFP+ modules has got me wondering about potential sound quality differences between modules and also single mode vs multimode and whether it might make a difference SQ-wise.

What do people think?

I am currently using single mode SFP's for my OM to ER fiber run but I ran both single mode and multimode fiber from my basement too in case I got the urge to experiment lol ....

Best,
James

17 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Listeners have tended to prefer single mode over multi mode.  1000BASE-LX seems also been preferred, possibly due it’s longer wavelength - but also due to the fact that listeners aren’t finding the need to use attenuators with SFPs that meet this standard.  There was a working hypothesis that the lower the power draw of the SFP the better the sound quality.  That may have lead to attention given the Finisar 1324, which is my current favorite.  

Thanks. The albeit limited number of opinions out there on this does seem to point in favor of single mode. It "feels" to me like the better choice given that a more precise laser beam is directed down a much narrower core in the case of single mode vs led light bouncing around as it makes its way down a much larger core in the case of multimode.

36 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...the light is "bouncing around" in the single mode cable too, it just has different "bounce" characteristics.

Yes, of course.

38 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

I ordered a couple of SFP+ transceivers to test, which is at the heart of the latest dust-up regarding optical stuff. Will it make an audible difference? Will it even work? I'll find out! 

Interested to hear back on this ... 

Best,

James

2 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

I suspect that if the receivers are designed/built to accept a certain wavelength and type of laser, they would not be overwhelmed by closer proximity. I am not an expert on lasers, BTW. 

All of the info I see is more about retaining signal integrity/intensity over distance and in bending applications by improving the sheathing/cladding materials, creating "moats" or "trenches" to redirect light back toward the core. No one seems worried about too much signal, albeit with the previous caveats of matching wavelengths, types, etc. 

Here's an interesting data point:

I am currently using StarTech SFP1000ZXST 1000BASE-ZX SFP modules over OS2 fiber between my OM and ER. These are 1550nm, single mode, 70km, modules. I'm not using any attenuators.

They aren't cheap; a more exacting laser is required for the longer distances as I understand it.

See https://www.startech.com/en-us/networking-io/sfp1000zxst for specs. Unfortunately, the specs are nowhere near as detailed as for the Finisar SFP's ...

The Taiko Audio contingent tested a bunch of SFP's and rated the StarTech ones that they tested the best. Google "taiko startech sfp1000zxst"; the info is on the whatsbestforum.

I haven't done detailed tests myself but they do sound very nice to me.

Best,
James

18 minutes ago, PYP said:

That is interesting.  What is the length of the OS fiber cable you are using?

Hi there, 5m length. From OM in basement up to Living Room and out through a brush plate to the ER.

18 minutes ago, PYP said:

SFP modules seem robust except for the connectors, which look fragile.  Have you had any issues yanking the old ones out?  

I am always super careful when squeezing the duplex clip so that I don't crush the heat shrink tubing behind it for example ... I haven't damaged one yet lol. 

1 minute ago, kennyb123 said:

I jumped on those but found that I could hear the harm over saturation was doing.  I was not alone.  An attenuator was a must with these just to get that hard edge dealt with.  I ultimately dumped these and am now using the Finisar 1324 also recommended by Taiko.  Much better and no need for attenuators.

Hi. Thanks. I do plan to try some Finisars .. it is fun experimenting ... which specific part number?

Best,

James

2 hours ago, James Stephens said:

See https://www.startech.com/en-us/networking-io/sfp1000zxst for specs. Unfortunately, the specs are nowhere near as detailed as for the Finisar SFP's ...

Apologies .. I had a . at the end of the URL before so it wouldn't work. Here is the correct URL:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/networking-io/sfp1000zxst

Lol I have a few months on the Planet Technology MGB-TLX's pictured by @kennyb123and also mentioned by @MarkusBarkus.

Here is the link for others that may be interested in those: https://planetechusa.com/product/mgb-tlx-mini-gbic-lx-module-20km/

I mentioned the StarTech SFP1000ZXST's because the subject of overloading the receiver was being mentioned ..  and we hadn't discussed 1550nm or even 1000BASE-ZX SFP's at all ... I wouldn't have tried them unless Taiko had mentioned that they had been in production "for 9-10 months"

Cisco does recommend 10dB attenuators for their 100-BASE-ZX SFP's in cases where there is less than 8dB of attenuation to avoid overloading the receiver ...  

I see that the Finisar FTLF1324P2BTL's are no longer in production (for 3 years now). I wasn't able to find any on Ebay ......

Best,

James

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

A 2nd ER has made a significant difference in my system ......... Mulling over a 3rd ER.

Quite apropos to your name lol! 😂

23 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Do you notice a difference in sound, or is this done for peace of mind that the units run cooler?

Hi. I added the copper heat sinks to help reduce vibrations.

My devices are still on a lightweight and wobbly shelf ... once I have replaced that I might care to comment on the overall effect of my vibration-reducing efforts.

PS  to all - the custom shelf I have planned is so overkill it is going to make these heat sinks seem like an amuse bouche. Stay tuned lol!

James

43 minutes ago, JonD said:

If the EtherREGEN is in a well ventilated area, surely the heatsinks are not required at all? 

Totally .. I am just using them for vibration reduction.

40 minutes ago, JonD said:

Also, since this thread is about experimenting with hardware, which will require validation through listening; what tracks are people using to test their hardware changes? 

I don't have to use Steely Dan? ... I assumed when I got into the hobby that it was audiophile law. 🤣