IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

11 hours ago, ray-dude said:

That being said, even with plain old cat 8, my ER scaled very nicely from the stock SMPS to LPS 1.2 to PHL SR4.  That seems to hint that more/better power available, the happier the ER.  A SFP that is drawing a significant amount of power from the board (1W seems to be the spec limit) on top of the background power consumption could be tipping the SQ.

Hi Ray,

Is that improvement using ER with streaming/NAS or playing "local" files?

Did you find ER better with PHL SR4 than LPS 1.2?

Do you think it's due to higher current capacity of SR4?

G

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

The long wait times only extend to custom builds by PH but that is now closed.

I think the standard supplies from PH Ltd including the SR4T's are shipping relatively quickly.

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, ray-dude said:

When I had my ER, I had it on a vibration isolation scheme very much like John's and it worked great for me.  In general, I find this scheme extremely impactful for digital electronics, DACs, and power supplies.

In my case, I ended up having a whole bunch of aluminum bowls machined in various geometries, and I experimented with lots of different polishing techniques and precision bearings.  In general, if you set the plate oscillating, the longer it oscillates the bigger the impact (direct correlation to SQ).  Makes mechanically optimizing things much more straight forward.  To give a sense of order of magnitude, I was able to get oscillation time from ~30 seconds to ~120 seconds

I currently use smooth ceramic tiles from Home Depot for my plates.  I like the idea of more mass with the 1/2" aluminum plates though.  I'll see if I can source a plate to compare to the Home Depot plates I'm currently using (thanks for the tip John!)

Hi Ray,

How did you deal with the "flexible" cable issue which can impede the freedom of oscillation?

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Even though I also experience a burn-in or settling-in with most stuff in the audio chain, when I add a new type of component or device, for some reason I assume there won’t be any and then I am surprised when there is. Even the etherRegen took a good 250 hours before the highs sounded natural to me.

I guess SFP could be the same and will definitely give them more time.

I might have missed it but how are you powering the oM?