IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

5 hours ago, FrankMA said:

I did space out the Phoenix and the Farad and was very happy with those changes. 

I got a bit impatient since I had to rearrange a bunch of items in my rack and added in:

1. Lush 2 replacement for my Lush 1
  2. AQ Hurricance on the DAC (replacing an older Shunyata Python CX)

At these hours I was very impressed with what I was hearing:

Phoenix (611)

Farad (196)

AC Hurricane (106)

Lush 2 (118)

Was listening to Todd Rundgren's "Can We Still Be Friends" and I have never heard this song in my system sound this good. Depth, separation, clarity, punch in a very quiet background!

Continued my impatience and added in the Audios Sensibilities Signature Silver DC cable to the Farad. Nice uptick cold out of the box. That should improve going forward.

Tired a few isolation changes (IsoAcoustics Orea Orange/Herbies) to no/little benefit. Been looking at the Symposium Svelte shelf to place the Farad/ER on since they are alone on the same shelf. However they recommend not putting anything on this shelf with rubber/sorbathane feet which both of these devices seem to have.

Anybody have experience with this product for a similar application?

I have many Symposium products including a few of their thick Ultra platforms and many of their aluminum couplers. The couplers are machined very flat and allow you to have a very good vibrational conduit between the device placed on the platform and the platform itself. It’s so flat the pucks sticks slightly to the platform surface! The idea is to drain the vibrational energy from external sources but especially from inside the device into the multi layered foam substance inside the platform to dissipate it as heat. So the more you can stop the internal components like transformers, capacitors even resistors from shaking the better the components should work as designed and the better device should perform. 

Over the years I’ve used the platform with many devices with good results. Currently I have my streamer on the Ultra coupled with 5 aluminum pucks. Each one placed where it has maximum stiff and solid contact with the platform. My other components rest on their Isis platform which is more like the Svelte shelves. 

What I also do is decouple the platform also. So beneath the Ultra I place compliant products like Rollerblocks or the same. This helps reduce the vibrational energy from the floor (from speakers, traffic, seismic movements and the world at large) from getting into the platform and the device. Although I usually user Rollerblocks, I’m experimenting with these air-conditioning compressor isolation pucks with good results. 

https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-3E-E-V-A-Anti-Vibration-Pad-3-x-3-x-7-8

Learnt this from someone here 😄

The overall effect for my Streamer is a nice improvement in sound - as expected from my years of using Symposium products. For me it’s a critical item I use for everything in my hifi. 

47 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Thanks @flkin  When you say Rollerblocks are you talking Herbie's?  Interesting use of a AC anti-vibration product. Certainly cheap enough to try

No, I’m referring to the Symposium Rollerblocks. It’s basically tungsten balls in cups in different configurations. I didn’t know Herbie’s makes Rollerblocks also. I use their tube dampeners only. 

The EVA dampeners work a treat - especially under the aircon compressors in my home so you can use them there if it doesn’t work in your hifi! 😄

• 10 months later...
33 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I ordered a 10 pack on April 23, seven days later, they arrived in AU. Price is USD250 for the 10 pack, great bang for buck.

Are you going to tell us what happens if you chain them serially since the attenuation is only 20-30db per pair from the website? :-D

Gonna get me a few to try! Thanks for the research.

• 2 weeks later...

My 5 pairs just arrived. The unit is smaller than I expected. 

Doesn’t make any difference in my system at all. It could be that my Sotm Ethernet cables are already filtered? Will burn for for a few days and try again. I’m not currently using the EtherRegen. 

3 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

no.  John Swenson and "One and a Half" both recommended not to do so.

You found it made a large difference used the ‘right way’. Aren’t you curious when it’s used the ‘wrong way’ ..? 😉