IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

I would suggest not wasting time on Amazon cables OR audiophile cables. The best in my system so far, and many others agree (big thread on it over at the Naim forum) are the Blue Jeans Cables (BJC) Cat 6a. Not inexpensive compared to Amazon, but cheap compared to the likes of Audioquest Vodka. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

6 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Hi Charlesphoto,

Thanks for your response.

Apparently you missed that I own many Bjc Cat 6a cables already, literally many dozens and hundreds of feet. You see for many years I shared your enthusiasm. Nevertheless,  recent experience is that the Amazon cables sound better and are much more flexible.

Live and learn.

Larry

I did miss that. I've compared AQ Cinnamon, Meicord Opal, Teragran Cat7, Monoprice Cat6, and BJC Cat 6 and 6a, and Ghent Audio Cat6a JSSG. I prefer the Ghent over all of them (which I use as the endpoint cable), but for the rest of the network preferred the BJC over the others, and as endpoint for my office setup. But each person's ears and gears are different, so the 'tuning' aspect of the cable comes into play. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 1 month later...

@kennyb123

Thanks for this info. Ordered a pair and will see what they might bring (or take away) from my pair of opticalModules. 

Good question:

https://www.belden.com/blog/data-centers/upc-or-apc

The biggest takeaway is don't mix APC and UPC connectors. If you have standard OM1/UPC (orange) cable, then use the UPC attenuators. 

@kennyb123 Let me know how those extra db work for you. So you're saying you have attenuators on both ends of the cable, or just one end and different values for each side? (I'm not sure if one side of the fiber cable sends one way and the other the other way?)

7 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

What about trying less attenuation?

Yeah, probably need to buy a mix of these and experiment. 

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Thanks to the photo you shared in PM, I was able to split the duplex connector.  I’m hoping I placed the attenuator in the Rx side.

There’s a $25 optical power meter on Amazon.  I may buy it.  

6142E50D-788A-4A7B-9735-C1158C847D93.thumb.jpeg.1556484c4aa330dbe2878a4450dd7b2e.jpeg

C2BEECEC-1771-4108-A6CC-A3BD7198B731.jpeg.e9cdb7e91f9c6e9c8cf21a14b20f4312.jpeg

For anyone interested in doing this, note the white wrap is on different sides on the two ends.  I got this backwards initially.

32FB5BD8-C39A-40D2-AEA8-F4E4C757329B.thumb.jpeg.d9f74dac0d657b59407bfdb129c40806.jpeg

Any change in sound doing it this way?

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

I installed an SPF into my Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-Si and when I hook everything up the indicator LED lights are not coming on.

I have been using this switch for a wile and I wanted to upgrade the connection from the switch to the router with FO.

I purchased a TP-Link MC200CM Gigabit Multi-mode Media converter. An OM3 50/125 um Duplex FO patch cable. TP-Link TL-SM311LM 1000base-SX MMF Mini GBIC Module.

The module is the one recommended by TP-Link to work with the converter and TP-Link said that it will work with my Cisco Switch.  I checked the they are both 850nm and the spec sheets say that they work with the 125um cable.

Is there something I need to do to enable power to the SFP port on the Switch?  I can connect my computer to the switch, the manual says that I can use any port and type the 10. address.

I am not a computer guy so please, any instructions, make them for a six year old.

I heard the module make the click when I plugged it in.

Thank you very much

Not working on the Cisco or the eR? If not the Cisco, you may need to reset to factory defaults if it hasn't already been. You'll need a console, or usb cable depending on the age and model of the switch and then either a Windows pc or know how to use terminal on a mac. Lots of online instructions. Also, Cisco switches need to have a Cisco coded SFP - whether it's OEM or a third party SFP. Not just anything will work in them. 

• 2 months later...

@sahmen No, not audiophile per se, but when I redid all the cabling with Blue Jeans Cable, from the coax in to the modem, Cat 6 to Airport Extreme router, and then again back to main 16 port Cisco switch, I thought it seemed to firm everything up, but kind of impossible to A/B so who knows, but it didn't cost much and the BJC is certified to work. Even if you only gain a half of a percent better sound, those percentages start to add up in the increasingly complex digital chain, and esp considering how much more EMI/RF there is in the modern household/urban setting (I hate to think what it's doing to our cellular structure so I don't). 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, chungjh said:

Even though it is normal for ER to run hot, it is hard to imagine that all that heat does not accelerate the degradation of ER over time. Heat is the enemy of electronics. What do you think?

Which is why I run small USB AC Infinity fans (just on low) over my Uptone/Sonore and network gear. 

2 hours ago, chungjh said:

@Charlesphoto

Although the fan is quite small, it may cause vibrations that can affect components on the rack, no?

Perhaps, but on low they are inaudibly quiet and have rubber(?) bumpers for feet and vibrationless as far as I can tell. These aren't Walmart builds. I'm sure you could isolate it even more with Herbie's etc material if so inclined, but best to make sure your components are first. I had an LPS 1.2 go on me this summer and my feeling is it may have been heat related (under warranty and repaired but no info on what was wrong) so got some of these fans after that. I have them both with the hifi upstairs and downstairs in the server closet. The one upstairs is powered by a wall wart (different circuit from the hifi) and downstairs via USB off the Roon NUC. 

@Pokey77 So glad you went for it. FTR the rec on the fans was from another member here but I can't recall who. I tried weights, heat sinks etc, but I have a feeling that they just allowed the heat to accumulate on the top of the device(s), possibly adding vs shedding. I currently have Herbie's SuperSonic Stabilizers on top of my 1.2 and oR and they seem to be doing something beyond just being a weight (they stick to the case almost like magnets). And after having an LPS 1.0 fry last year after a downed tree in the neighborhood hit a line, I now have iFi AC iPurifiers everywhere in the system; not only have they made the sound better, my hope is they'll surge protect (as advertised) another event like that. 

@Pokey77 That was my photo, just not my original idea. :)

@pokey77 RE the AC iPurifier No idea about your power topography, but I found it best to try in different places. All of my network gear and opticalModules, NUC etc are in my server closet which is also the same circuit as all of my photo computer gear, so that circuit actually had the most impact in comparison to the upstairs analog gear. o perhaps get another or two and spread around. It can also make subtle differences where plugged in if using a power strip. Way OT here, so will leave it at that. 

• 4 months later...

I agree with R1200. The fiber>RJ45 SFP transceiver is inferior, but not the SFP fiber straight through transceiver. So if you have someplace that fiber can come from (a switch or best an opticalModule then it makes sense to use the SFP input on the eR. But it doesn't make sense to try and convert ethernet to fiber with a specialized SFP. Just use the ethernet inputs if the cable you have is RJ45. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, MasterWarzombie said:

I have a remark.
Many people praise the addition of this or that device to the etherregen but no one talks about the impact of the room and its acoustic treatment, nor on the behavior of the speaker in that room.
If you have an acoustically rotten room, racking up tweaks won't get better.
A lot of acoustic work, passive or not, should be considered before investing.

Or just use headphones. Sorry, poor argument against source tweaking (and yes, the room is an important factor in the overall sound)