IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I do hear a difference between the TRENDnet 1000BASE-LX SFP (no attenuators) and the Startech 1000BASE-ZX SFP (with a 10 dB attenuator on each receiver). It’s not a difference that leaves one thinking one performs poorly relative to the other though.  Most apparent to me was a difference in the upper frequencies.  Highs are a bit more prominent with the TRENDnet.  This brings out a bit more detail.  I’m tempted to say that it slightly shifted the balance on guitar strings and voices where there was a bit less midrange presence with the TRENDnet.  These are very subtle differences and I haven’t done enough listening yet to be able to say which is more correct.

The attenuators tended to reveal a bit more to me after swapping one in for another that had been in place for a few days at least.  While I have had the Startech SFPs for a while, my system got quite a better over the weekend after shifting a few things around.  i’ll have to spend more time with each of these to be able to reach any conclusions.  I guess I’m actually somewhat relieved that’s the differences were pretty subtle.  

Thanks for your experiments! Extremely valuable data.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the great ideas!

9 hours ago, MartinT said:

I use black granite mats and coasters on all my components, covered with sticky-back black felt on the bottom. 

9 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

So no issues with the felt (on the coasters) or the rubber tread on the doorstop coming into contact with the hot exterior of the ER?

I just did a little experiment with some marble coasters I had lying around the house. Each one weighs 0.5lb (226gm for our metric friends).

in my configuration, with a heavy Ethernet and clock cable on the B side, and a flimsy LC-LC fiber cable on the A side, I needed 4 coasters to completely prevent tilting.

So for me, a 2lb/1kg weight is necessary.

These look interesting, but the tops are rounded, so will have to use the  silica gel treads on the eR hot surface.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFEC211/

On 5/27/2020 at 12:39 PM, austinpop said:

I just did a little experiment with some marble coasters I had lying around the house. Each one weighs 0.5lb (226gm for our metric friends).

in my configuration, with a heavy Ethernet and clock cable on the B side, and a flimsy LC-LC fiber cable on the A side, I needed 4 coasters to completely prevent tilting.

So for me, a 2lb/1kg weight is necessary.

These look interesting, but the tops are rounded, so will have to use the  silica gel treads on the eR hot surface.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFEC211/

These arrived today, and they work great in terms of weight. For now, I am using it upside down, even though the top is slightly rounded. Thankfully, its net thermal effect is positive, and despite the limited contact area from the rounded top, there is a net reduction in temperature of about 5º F.

image.png

I would have been happy with no thermal change as well. Aesthetically it would be nicer to rest it with the silica gel tread on the eR, but I need to figure out if the tread can stand the heat.

I have 2 more left over for other small components. 

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mike Rubin said:

Any chance any of you have tried the Sablon in particular in an optically-oriented setup like mine?

Not in exactly that configuration, no. Although - when it comes to SQ with network tweaks, I find two tenets to hold true:

• Changes further upstream can sometimes (but not always!) have an unexpectedly great impact, and
  • The magnitude of change is highly system-dependent, so whether the change is "worth it" can only be determined by you after trying it. Hence...

14 minutes ago, acousticsguru said:

I'd give it a try at least if you can get a sample cable.

+1

Luckily Mark is good about sending out one of his sample cables in circulation.

Of course, the other thing that could make an equal or greater impact is the choice of SFPs, but assuming you've got that already sorted.

• 8 months later...