IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

hi all,

I received the Farad Power Supply a couple of weeks ago. From the start, there was a noticeable improvement. @Superdad is right that you don't need fancy power supplies, as the EtherRegen itself already is a considerable improvement. But the Farad sure brings out more of the good stuff.

The Farad comes standard with a generic DC cable. I'm thinking of ordering a better version. Now I'm confused about what I've read. In the post from @JohnSwenson about DC cables, he recommends thick wires, star quad configuration, e.g. the Ghent Canare 4s6.

However, I remember Alex mentioning he thinks the Gotham GAC4/1 is a good option. which is also star quad, but using a lot of tiny 38AWG conductors to make only 22AWG. And if I look at the Farad cables, their best cable (level 2) is also made of thinner wires run in parallel, which seems to run counter to John's advice?

So my question, in this setup (farad to etherregen) what would be the better option out of these three; the higher gauge Canare 4s6 JSSG360, the Gotham GAC4/1 UltraPro JSSG360 or Farad's own option using lots of thin, tin plated copper wire?

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I've also had Supra Cat8, replaced that with Ghent JSSG as I much preferred the latter (at the time Ghent didn't have the JSSG360)

I've since swapped out a few Ghent JSSG cables for Ghent JSSG360 cables (namely etherregen to streamer, and streamer to dac (which is connected via I2S RJ45), and the 360 seems even better

• 3 weeks later...

After enjoying the EtherRegen for more than 6 months now, have decided to go ahead and order a second one

The EtherRegen has so dramatically increased the enjoyment I get out of my set music, that it's worth seeing what another one upstream might do

See below for my system setup. The EtherRegen will replace the Netgear in this setup. Any ideas on how the moat should be crossed? Cable modem on the b-side, everything else (oppo, mac mini, apple tv, downstream etherregen) on the a-side? That should isolate it from the rest of the network most, right? And the second etherregen will create another moat to isolate the streamer from the server/etc. Is that correct?

And is it worth experimenting with fiber in between the etherregens? 

Also happy to hear any other suggestions for experiments

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 10.12.20 PM.png

9 minutes ago, simon_pepper said:

Ok, so try a derivation of this one, with the Farad Super3 on the dedicated Power Circuit powering the EtherREGEN.

The JS-2 is still on the MacMini, and maybe the now spare 12v that was on the EtherREGEN on the ISP Modem/Router, thar just so it doesn’t go to waste!

Hi Simon, thanks for this suggestion,  but not sure how to pull that off. There's only 1 outlet on the dedicated power circuit, which is roughly 10m away from the mac mini/oppo/atv. And the router is another 25m away from that location

11 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

Sandervdp, with the 9+ setup - I assume your tv input is from the netgear via apple & oppo, not from the ER?

hi james, correct, the apple tv is connected to the netgear, then from there the apple tv's HDMI goes into the back of the oppo, which goes via HDMI into a projector and S/PDIF into the dac

the oppo has s/pdif out to the dac, much better than optical out from the mac mini

so that's why the apple tv goes into the oppo 

the 9+ is only referencing the sound from the MacMini source (mainly local FLACs) to Ambre btw.

The sound from Apple TV (e.g. when watching netflix) seems to be significantly less

Not sure if that is due to compression or leakage/noise/cheap clocks

BluRay is much, much better than netflix via ATV and a lot closer to MacMini/Ambre

Still have to try Netflix on Oppo (a bit clumsy to control, but if SQ is much better could be worth it)