IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Hi All ER enthusiasts,

I have a FiOS ONT, 30 feet coax to my Router, 30 feet Ghent catsnake JSSG 360, ER. 

One user was fortunate enough to have extra FiOS cable to move his ONT next to his set up and then a short connection to his router and a short connection to his ER. He reported a great improvement, but it was probably mostly because he was able to eliminate a fiber optic module.  I cannot move my ONT but I can, with some effort, move my router next to my set up. The concern is that Wi-Fi also comes from the router. I have an extra 3 foot Ghent catsnake I could use from the router to the ER but I am worried that the wi-Fi would negate the benefit of the shorter connection. Does anyone have any experience with this? I could probably go into the router and turn off the Wi-Fi.

Alternately I could run fiber optic The 30 feet from the router to the ER although, I would be sad to waste the 30 foot Ghent cable.  It seems like it would be a good use for this fiber optic technology.  My question is about power supplies. (I am using the stock power supply on the ER until I can get an appropriate LPS for it.) I recently put an LPS on the router and enjoyed the benefit it made.  I had an issue with that LPS and had to remove it, I missed the benefit of it. If I add the optical module to supply the ER I am assuming The OR will benefit from a better power supply (experience please?) 

Does anyone have experience if they are using the OR does it still benefit to use an LPS for the router?

Thank you 

• 2 weeks later...

Good day fine individuals,

over on the “what’s best “- “extreme “ thread, One gentleman was working with Romaz to improve his networking. The suggestion was to install a separate dedicated network for the audio system, upstream of his EtherRegen. The product used was a ubiquity edge router.  I asked the gentleman if he had to change all of the references to his IP addresses in his system, I did not get a clear answer, but it appeared that he did not.  He said that he installed the router after his Verizon FiOS router, that he has all his other devices plugged into.  Others suggested that this implied that he was just using his router as a switch.

I watched a video on the set up of the ubiquity edge router and it is not like your typical consumer plug and play router. It needs to be logged into and set up to operate.

Possibly, this is how the new network was established. Also, maybe all of his attached devices are DHCP so they just accepted the new IP from the router?

I know in my set up that I would have to re-define in some of my software, IP addresses, so that Roon could find my NAS and my server could find my Roon server, etc.

I do not have it set up this way, but what would happen if someone was using static IP‘s?

If Romaz is setting up a separate dedicated router he probably also has a separate feed into his house?

I also have a Verizon FiOS service which comes into an ONT, And runs coax cable to my Verizon router.

Can I just do what the gentleman did and install a router after my Verizon router?

I cannot split the coax, because the ubiquity router takes ethernet in. And, I do not know if it would work to split the coax or what that would do to the signal because I have never seen a good quality splitter.

The coax is connected at the ONT to a terminal that says video MoCA output.

There is a separate ethernet terminal labeled ethernet hub jack.  I will call Verizon to find out if this can be used and report back.

I look forward to your advice and suggestions.

thank you

enjoy the music, please

I spoke to Verizon about the FiOS ONT. they told me that only the coax is currently enabled and in typical tech-support/sales mode, they told me that my current Internet speed is 75/75 but if I want to upgrade to 150/150 they would enable both the ethernet and the coax.

They told me that at 150/150, with the FiOS TV going over the same coax, that the coax would be a bottleneck, but it is not a bottleneck for the current set up.  Hmmmm
I asked if I could have the ethernet enabled and have coax both running to my Verizon router and they told me as soon as I had the ethernet port enabled any data would go over Ethernet and not over the coax.  
There was no way to enable that ethernet port to give me a separate IP. As many iterations as I came up with, there was no way to Separate the data requirements For the house from the audio system by bypassing the router or going through the router to another router.

I have another question, which is a better way to send data - over an ethernet cable or over coax. At least the coax has shielding. Currently if I made up a long enough cable to go from the ONT to the router it would not be shielded.

To make things more interesting, I started tracing out the coax and found that it immediately went to a splitter. One leg goes to the router the other leg goes to the set-top box.

I wonder if having this coax connected to two different circuits gives me the potential for a ground loop?

After having a long conversation with the Verizon tech, I found out that I can have him enable that ethernet port without upgrading my service. He could not do it immediately because that would shut off the ethernet to the remainder of the house.  I have to make up the ethernet cable and then I will have him change it over. I am assuming that means that I can disconnect the coax that goes to the router. And remove the splitter so that the coax goes directly to the set-top box.

I guess the improvement I was seeing with the EtherRegen for the TV was only for content through my Apple TV, because FiOS TV comes over coax.

If the reason we got into this whole discussion is about having a separate IP to remove all data traffic from the audio system, I wonder if there is a detriment to having the TV plugged in to the A side of the EtherRegen?

It may not matter much because when I am typically doing my critical listening the TV is off.

I hope you find some of this useful.

I look forward to your opinions on any of these things that I have found and questions I have. 

please enjoy the music

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I installed an SPF into my Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-Si and when I hook everything up the indicator LED lights are not coming on.

I have been using this switch for a wile and I wanted to upgrade the connection from the switch to the router with FO.

I purchased a TP-Link MC200CM Gigabit Multi-mode Media converter. An OM3 50/125 um Duplex FO patch cable. TP-Link TL-SM311LM 1000base-SX MMF Mini GBIC Module.

The module is the one recommended by TP-Link to work with the converter and TP-Link said that it will work with my Cisco Switch.  I checked the they are both 850nm and the spec sheets say that they work with the 125um cable.

Is there something I need to do to enable power to the SFP port on the Switch?  I can connect my computer to the switch, the manual says that I can use any port and type the 10. address.

I am not a computer guy so please, any instructions, make them for a six year old.

I heard the module make the click when I plugged it in.

Thank you very much

2 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Not working on the Cisco or the eR? If not the Cisco, you may need to reset to factory defaults if it hasn't already been. You'll need a console, or usb cable depending on the age and model of the switch and then either a Windows pc or know how to use terminal on a mac. Lots of online instructions. Also, Cisco switches need to have a Cisco coded SFP - whether it's OEM or a third party SFP. Not just anything will work in them. 

Thank you.

The issue is on the Cisco switch.  
i’ve had it for a long time now, I do remember holding down the button on the front when I first got it. So I think it has been reset.

I used an ethernet cable and connected it to my Mac book pro.  I put  10.0.0.1 into the browser , It did not work   I tried the consul port and a regular port on the switch.

I tried two different ethernet cables. 
I unplugged it and plugged it back in so that it would power cycle.
it looks like I’m doing pretty well here😃

I will look at the manual to see what it says about factory default, thank you.

I will bet that is probably the SFP.

At the last minute when ordering, I ordered the TP Link SFP. I was told by TP link that it would work with my switch. And I knew it would be compatible with the TP Link converter.  The leadtime for the Cisco SFP was longer, so I changed my mind at the last minute.

it took me forever, hours, to determine the specifications for the switch. I got bounced all over Cisco, only to find that they wouldn’t really tell me anything because they don’t support that switch any longer.

they then referred me to the community board.

I have been going there to ask questions before I come here.

I will order the Cisco SFP.

Very cool, thank you.

I am trying to get my infrastructure prepared for the next batch of the optical modules.

from my Verizon FiOS router, this TP Link converter will send to my Cisco switch which has everything else in the house on it including the Wi-Fi. 

The OM will go from the router to the EtherRegen which will then feed my server.

all of this is exciting, but it is very hard work.

everything sounds wonderful now. 

I received the SFP transceiver.

The way it arrived was strange, I’m alone in my house installing four cabinets under the stairs, with 25 drawers and trays. I started it when it looked like they were going to shut down the world and ordered 11 sheets of plywood.

I noticed my front door was open, which was strange because no one else is here, and I looked and there was a package. It is the transceiver, that fast. if the door had not opened it would’ve sat there all day.

I installed it, and no light at first.

I power cycled it and after a little while, a yellow light came on and it had life.
It is working and I’m very happy about that.

my first foray into fiber optics. 
thank you for the help. 

I don’t know yet if the isolation from the Wi-Fi is sounding better. I will have to let things settle in and see if I can Hear a difference or not.