IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

3 hours ago, cat6man said:

cablematters does not have a cat8 cable beyond 5m (i checked with them).

can anyone recommend a company/brand where i can get a good 12m or 15m cat8 cable?

is there a specific reason folks have be looking at cablematters versus other vendors?

You can get a Supra cat8 at future shop in various lengths.... I got a 10 meter one from them several years ago. 

3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

If someone wants me to tell them whether they should spend $1000 on a specific cable I simply cannot do that.

Thanks John. I should hasten to say for anyone considering experimenting with cables, in this case the Cable Matters Cat 8 in the 1 meter length is $12, and I assume eliminating ground continuity even if the shields are tied is a matter of a little tape.

Thanks for considering my questions. I know at this point you don't have the spare bandwidth for anything complex. And thank you also for pointing out how complex the apparently simple matters of cabling and powering a handful of components can become. I've often wondered whether circuit simulation software might be adapted for this purpose.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Lucie said:

A couple of days ago I reported my initial findings. Of course I didn’t stop listening these last days. And I have to report that my enthusiasm remains high as far as the soundstage (deeper), the separation of the instruments, and the placement are concerned. But these last days I had some growing doubts about the better “listenability” I reported earlier. My wife was still very positive in this respect, but over the last days for me the music had developed a certain “dryness”. This was perhaps my way of avoiding the word “dullness”. I was looking for the ‘old’ energy in my perception of the music, but I thought the most probable explanation was psychological: initial enthusiasm perhaps somewhat exagerated? Tiredness in these busy weeks during the dark months?…Who can tell? Done too much listening perhaps?

From the very start I had my ER connected to a sBooster 12V LPS. I had it on my former switch, and I had no doubt at all that that would be the best thing to do. Yesterday evening, I decided to connect the ER to the supplied 7.5V supply. No special reason for that, just to give it a try, before disconnecting it again and putting it in a box somewhere in the barn. Although I was pretty certain that the supplied PS would be an inferior solution, it was a revelation. I couldn’t believe my ears! If I were to read this from anybody else on this forum, I would think: interesting, but very improbable…

So I asked my wife for a blind test. I just had her listen to a minute or so of music (the difference is so clear, you don’t need more), changed the PS and asked her if she heard a difference. She said: "Of course, that’s clear isn’t it?!". The sBooster she described as “more dull” (in Dutch: doffer) and “more veiled” (omfloerster). That’s exactly what I hear. To me the 7.5V PS is a big improvement over the sBooster. (Re-reading this I can hear a voice say: nobody is going to believe this). In my system anyone can hear it in a minute. Beyond doubt . My wife (unlike me she likes background music) also thinks the music is less listenable, because it's more upfront. Fair to report that as well. And no worries: we’ve always figured this out together quite well 🙂 🙂 .

To me the smile and the joy are back and the “dryness” completely disappeared. The volume can be turned back down a bit. The other advantages I reported before stayed unchanged: the soundstage remains deep, perhaps the separation and placement of the instruments improved a bit. That’s my impression for now at least. I’ll have to do more listening to confirm that.

I have no explanation for this very big PS effect. On the contrary: it seems improbable, disturbing. Note that the sBooster is 12V, the PS 7.5V. Could that make any difference? By the way I grounded the ER when the sBooster was attached and the grounding is still connected.

Now on to the next 100 hours. A good friend of mine, who also had his ER in the second batch, comes for some music listening just before Christmas. We’ll do some blind testing then. I’ll report our findings later.

Do you think it might have anything to do with grounding of the eR?  Might be worth testing of a ground wire to the eR when using the Sbooster. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear, probably due to a lack of technical knowledge and English being a foreign language to me. I mentioned the grounding of ER just to show that the “missing of ground” couldn’t explain the relatively bad results of the sBooster. I took the grounding off a minute ago or so, because (I know) it isn’t necessary with the supplied PS. I hope that makes my point clear. If not, forget about it 🥵

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

@Lucie, could you (just for reference and to satisfy my curiosity :)) mention the type of SBooster you’ve used? Was it the latest BOTW P&P Eco MKII or an earlier version?

The model is: BOTW P&P ECO 12-13.2V. No extra SBooster Ultra connected. I think it’s not the last model. I bought it new about 2 years ago.

image.jpg

29 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

Ive held off tweaking too much until things settle but have tried powering it with a JS-2 and LPS 1.2.

Would be interested in your findings about powering with both of these after about 300 hours or so.  

My eR took quite a while to settle in and cycled through rough patches during the process.  Of course, the variables of our systems are all different and cannot be predicted, it seems.   Personally, I like remaining skeptical until my ears are happy (or not).  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

34 minutes ago, PYP said:

Would be interested in your findings about powering with both of these after about 300 hours or so.  

My eR took quite a while to settle in and cycled through rough patches during the process.  Of course, the variables of our systems are all different and cannot be predicted, it seems.   Personally, I like remaining skeptical until my ears are happy (or not).  

Will report back. Knowing the sound of the Farad power supplies, I have a sneaking suspicion that they might be the perfect fit for the ER.

And the other variable that was added to the system with the ER was the short Belden Cat 6a that connects the ER to the ultraRendu. It has never been used, so what is the sound of that cable and what is the sound of the ER and what of these burn in changes is the sound of one or the other?

38 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

And the other variable that was added to the system with the ER was the short Belden Cat 6a that connects the ER to the ultraRendu. It has never been used, so what is the sound of that cable and what is the sound of the ER and what of these burn in changes is the sound of one or the other?

As others have found, it seems a new ethernet cable needs to break in too.  That makes no sense to me, but that is what I experienced too.  It seems that ethernet isn't just bits = bits because stuff other than data takes a ride on the same line.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

3 hours ago, Lucie said:

The model is: BOTW P&P ECO 12-13.2V. No extra SBooster Ultra connected. I think it’s not the last model. I bought it new about 2 years ago.

image.jpg

It’s not the latest model. I can confirm. Curiously I didn’t find any changes between the stock power supply and the sbooster (also an old model but 9v-10v). After reading your post I included an ultra (new model) and I am finding a change. I still do not know which SQ I prefer but I am hearing more details. In any case with the original or a different one, the eR is probably the best upgrade (cost/benefit) I made in my system.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Are you guys using the stock power cord with the ER's Stock PSU, it's curious but i can hardly hear an improvement (although there is but minimal) using an HDPLEX 200W at 9v with its variable output, BUT i can hear a more than a subtle improvement when using a more robust power cable with the stock PSU, even i can hear difference between the OYAIDE COOPER outlets vs the OYAIDE RHODIUM outlets in the wall

23 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

Are you guys using the stock power cord with the ER's Stock PSU, it's curious but i can hardly hear an improvement (although there is but minimal) using an HDPLEX 200W at 9v with its variable output, BUT i can hear a more than a subtle improvement when using a more robust power cable with the stock PSU, even i can hear difference between the OYAIDE COOPER outlets vs the OYAIDE RHODIUM outlets in the wall

Interesting that you mention doing this.  I'd loaned the eR to my dealer to see what they thought of it.  In the process (and by the way the eR switch was a eye-opener for them) they in fact swapped the provided power cable with a new one from Shunyata called the Venom V14 Digital and found it a worthy upgrade.  I've put a couple into my systems for both the eR and my projector, and it's value in rejecting RFI/EMI has been noticeable.  Guess it's the noise filtration on the line that gets minimized.  Anyway, it's not too far out of line, as regards price, when balanced against the cost of other components in my system.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Try a Shunyata Alpha - about $700 US second hand. A killer. Also Shunyata ethernet venom - Sigma if you can afford it., Both ends. Uptream does matter. You can hear the effect of filters, EMO etc.... Isolate everything. Make sure all components are vibration treated re platforms. 

Sbooster (with DC ground) very little difference to stock. Cant say its better - perhaps too many grounds.....a bit thicker sounding. 

4 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

@Lucie

Very interesting. I have similar findings. I’m only day 5 in burning in, but I found that initially the ER added an exaggerated spatiality due to pushing the midrange and highs forward.

I knew there were changes from burning in so I’m sitting tight and almost relieved that the tonal balance is becoming more normal and the spatiality is less sound effecty.

Ive held off tweaking too much until things settle but have tried powering it with a JS-2 and LPS 1.2. These did add some improvements in treble but had a more congested mid range. With the LPS it’s like the bass information was pulled up into the midrange, not in a good way. The JS-2 had promise but I will come back to that when things settle a bit. My current preference is the stock supply, on a circuit separate from the audio system. I’m still having unnatural highs, but so have others until later in burn in process.

Overall it’s a definite improvement, but comes with some exaggerated negatives at least initially. Not trying to be negative, just objective amongst almost universal praise.

Try shunting the ER via its ground terminal screw to common ground with the JS-2. After this you don't want to go back to stock SMPS.. ;)

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

8 minutes ago, andresz said:

Try a Shunyata Alpha - about $700 US second hand. A killer. Also Shunyata ethernet venom - Sigma if you can afford it., Both ends. Uptream does matter. You can hear the effect of filters, EMO etc.... 

Looks like the Alpha and Sigma have Emo / Baaske -like isolators build in to reject common mode noise. So no wonder.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

6 minutes ago, andresz said:

Try a Shunyata Alpha - about $700 US second hand. A killer. Also Shunyata ethernet venom - Sigma if you can afford it., Both ends. Uptream does matter. You can hear the effect of filters, EMO etc.... Isolate everything. Make sure all components are vibration treated re platforms. 

Agree re: the Shunyata Ethernet cables.  I'm using a pair of Sigmas, one from my Roon Nucleus to the eR and another from the eR to my dCS Upsampler.  I've taken advice re: vibration control placing the eR on my HRS rack with a Sumnacon heavy duty door stopper sitting atop the eR.  Works nicely and acts as a bit of a heat sink as well.

Steve Schaffer

Yes - I have three sigmas - one common and one for HT and one for Audio. They are outstanding cables. Easily distinguished from others I have tried. On the HT rig, and I have a 110 inch projector set up - it is a big step up in ambiance and the lift in video quality is outstanding. 

Oops. Just saw note. thx Alex. 

23 hours ago, KunterK said:

Degenen die SBooster gebruiken ...

Ik denk dat ze fantastische voedingen leveren (ik heb 5, 9, 19v-versies die laagspanningsmateriaal in het systeem voeden, inclusief Nucleus en Media Converters).

Probeer de polariteit van de wisselstroomkabel om te keren (dit is gemakkelijker als u in Europa bent. Sluit de stekker gewoon omgekeerd aan) 

En gebruik zeker een betere AC-kabel dan die bij de units wordt geleverd. Degenen die ik ontving, hadden zo slechte prestaties. 

Proost.

That's right, according to Sbooster the best result is to connect it according to this schedule.

I also use audioquest Z3 / monsoon for an even better result

62298177-8C5A-46AA-976B-5896F8C0A7A3.png

14 hours ago, Lucie said:

image.jpg

Thanks Lucie! This indeed is the previous model, or the MK I so to speak. I was just curious, I do own one MK II but am using it on a JCAT NET card, my ER is powered by a Hynes SR4.

Enjoy! :)

22 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Oh! I’ve never actually used the stock power cord into the stock power supply. Ive always used a DIY shielded 14awg Belden cable with brass pin plug.  Thanks for the reminder, I will roll some cords into the stock supply and have a listen.

21 hours ago, skatbelt said:

Try shunting the ER via its ground terminal screw to common ground with the JS-2. After this you don't want to go back to stock SMPS.. ;)

Hehe, thats what Ive found everywhere I use the JS-2.

Its the best for my DAC and ultraRendu too.

Im needing a separate rack for all of my power supplies. 🤗

Im waiting to hear some more feedback on the Farad with the ER from user @incus who has this combo. If I spring for another Farad I will try the JS-2 and the Farad on both the ultraRendu and EtherRegen and see what combo works the best.