IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

My system is wireless endpoint to ER, to UltraRendu, to DAC.

The UltraRendu is on its own JS-2. I know if I put the ER on the other output of the JS-2, it is not recommended, shared 0v etc. But what if the other JS-2 output was charging an LPS 1.2? And the LPS 1.2 powered the ER? Would this break the shared 0v and be OK?

2 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

My system is wireless endpoint to ER, to UltraRendu, to DAC.

The UltraRendu is on its own JS-2. I know if I put the ER on the other output of the JS-2, it is not recommended, shared 0v etc. But what if the other JS-2 output was charging an LPS 1.2? And the LPS 1.2 powered the ER? Would this break the shared 0v and be OK?

Yes, the LPS-1.2 breaks the connection.

Try swapping what you power by the LPS-1.2, you may find you like one way batter than the other.

John S.

In preparation for my 3rd batch ER, I had the opportunity to upgrade the last leg from my cheap D-Link switch (powered by ifi SMPS) from the well-regarded BJC CAT6a to a custom Supra CAT8 with Telegartner connectors, which just arrived today.  Holy crap!  Even though it isn’t broken in yet, what a huge improvement!  Much more 3D and listenable. When I put the BJC back in, it sounds compressed and distorted. I tried it a few times to make sure. Maybe I don’t need the ER after all 🤣 LOL.  The last leg goes into an ultraRendu (powered by a recent upgrade to the new Sonore LPS) which goes partway towards a Signature Rendu. I have no idea how the ER can improve on this but it seems like it will.   In the meantime I’m enjoying my music more than before. 

Bottom line is the Ethernet cable upgrade makes a big difference in my system, even without the ER.

4 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

Can these cables be used for inwall? Then you need to remove the rj45 termination plugs and do correct connection of sshield to wall plugs that may be tricky? What would be your recommendation?

I often buy bulk cable and use Telegärtner contacts they dont need any special tools. 

_20191207_110927.thumb.JPG.f1d560c68f34d05e79faa759db6a63fb.JPG

The instruction shows many types of cables how to connect the shield. 

_20191207_110844.thumb.JPG.c8113c08fbf18a2db311c1addedf6ff1.JPG

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
10 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

Hello

Can these cables be used for inwall? Then you need to remove the rj45 termination plugs and do correct connection of sshield to wall plugs that may be tricky? What would be your recommendation?

I don't know if these cables can be used in wall. Most are designed to be patch cables in a datacenter so I doubt it.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

7 minutes ago, Ricardo007 said:

Any suggestion for ethernet in wall cables ? I have to renovate an appartment before my next move...

Ricardo, I have zero expertise with in wall ethernet cabling and related safety standards for plenum rated cabling. You might call Blue Jeans Cable or Cable Matters. I expect both companies will have answers for you.

We may never know if the Chinese goods meet US safety standards.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

14 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Yes, the LPS-1.2 breaks the connection.

Try swapping what you power by the LPS-1.2, you may find you like one way batter than the other.

John S.

John:

I’ll be installing a JS-2 to support both the EtherREGEN and a Roon Nucleus soon. The “A” side of the EtherREGEN has both of these wired in along with a WiFi router (Eero mesh).  

As I understand it, I should connect the ground on the EtherREGEN.  I’ve ordered up a Desco banana jack ground plug adapter and associated cable To plug into an available wall socket. I’m assuming it shouldn’t matter what circuit receptacle I plug this into.

Just checking for any other recommendations on noise mitigation or placement for the EtherREGEN. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

4 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

John:

I’ll be installing a JS-2 to support both the EtherREGEN and a Roon Nucleus soon. The “A” side of the EtherREGEN has both of these wired in along with a WiFi router (Eero mesh).  

As I understand it, I should connect the ground on the EtherREGEN.  I’ve ordered up a Desco banana jack ground plug adapter and associated cable To plug into an available wall socket. I’m assuming it shouldn’t matter what circuit receptacle I plug this into.

Just checking for any other recommendations on noise mitigation or placement for the EtherREGEN. 

Unfortunately the exact "ground" to use for "BEST" results is not necessarily easy to figure out. The simple answer is any socket connected to safety ground. There MAY be very subtle differences with connecting to grounds from different circuits.   You can certainly try different sockets if you have different circuits near the ER. The best is usually the closest to the ER so you use the shortest ground wire.

John S.

5 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Unfortunately the exact "ground" to use for "BEST" results is not necessarily easy to figure out. The simple answer is any socket connected to safety ground. There MAY be very subtle differences with connecting to grounds from different circuits.   You can certainly try different sockets if you have different circuits near the ER. The best is usually the closest to the ER so you use the shortest ground wire.

John S.

No problem.  I’ve got the following receptacles and current connections that are all within inches of one another:

a) a 20a circuit which currently being used by my Denali (it’s supporting analogue devices);

b) a 15a circuit currently used by a low output wall wart for a Synergistics Research FEQ. 

So I can use an available receptacle on either of these circuits. In either case the banana to spade cable is 1.5m. 

Will either of these of these work?  Any preference?  Or should I simply connect the ground plug to a receptacle on the Denali?

This grounding stuff is a mystery to me... 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Are there any disadvantages / advantages to using different input voltages to the ER?

Is more heat generated using higher input voltages, being regulated down?

im in a hot part of the world with temperatures over 120 Fahrenheit due in the coming months, so I will go for whatever keeps things cooler, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise...

5 hours ago, RickyV said:

I already had the parts and with my new ER I got renewed inspiration to built a new Ethernet cable. My previous and the new cable both use Supra cat8 cable as a base. I have seen the ET^2 cable and I have the lush^2 so why not make my own.

So at the heart of the cable is the Supra cat8 and over that go two layers of braided tinned copper shields separated by electrical tape. Every shield has it own connecting wire ( white, yellow and red). White being the shield of the supra cable.

On one side, the ER side, I also made a black wire to possibly connect to the ER ground screw and is also connected to the metal connector. 

I have not experimented yet so it’s on A:wyr B:wyr.

52A6C36F-6A6C-4191-8625-72A83DCAC988.thumb.jpeg.a2c9255ab63d80062462549e8ed2f373.jpeg

Oh it took me about 5 hours make.

Very nice work 👍

Are they the telegartner connectors? Are they an audible improvement over the standard Supra ones? I am thinking of trying the telegartner connectors on my jssg360 x 2 Supra cat 8 cable...

IMG_20191013_173640.thumb.jpg.7377f87e49977f862e695d1d138150e2.jpg

Once I get my ER I'm thinking of shortening this cable and putting the telegartner connectors on it....

I'll be interested to know how your new cable is sounding once it's settled in 👍