IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

15 hours ago, soares said:

I also felt some improvement from the burn-in process. But I must say that I felt immediately a jump on SQ, probably because of the level of my LPS’s. I used a LPS 1.2 with silver cables and a Sbooster with ultra. Sound is excellent with both! 
Cheers Jorge

Talking about power supplies, I am currently using the SGC 5v LPS with the OM, and it sounds okay to me, although I haven't tried anything else with it yet.  I have not really considered changing the power supply for the OM, because I have always assumed an LPS swap with the OM wouldn't make as much of a difference, as it could potentially make with, say, the Etherregen. Does this sound like an accurate assessment to you?   Would the OM sound significantly different and better if I were to replace the 5v SGC LPS with an Uptone lpS 1.2, for example?

Dear All: In considering a possible alternative power supply unit for the Etherregen, I have read mostly about these four options :

1. Uptone Audio LPS 1.2

2. Uptone Audio JS-2

3. Paul Hyne SR4

4. Farad Super3

I am trying to find out which of the 4 might be best for my own purposes.  I do have the LPS 1.2, but it seems from the reading I have done on these boards that it is the least favorably rated out of the 4 for use with the ER, as compared to the stock SMPS.  If that impression is correct, then this assessment will mainly be about the relative performance caliber of the last 3 options on the list. The idea is to get some sense as to how each compares with the stock SMPS in performance with the ER,  All inputs are welcome, particularly those of members who have had the opportunity to compare more than one of the listed options with the stock SMPS.  If needed you can rate each one as follows depending on the  difference it makes:

1. Marginal or subtle, but negligible

2. Marginal and subtle but definitely worth it.

3. Noticeably better, and enthusiastically recommended

4. A revelation, and a must.

Thanks.

From my reading, the Farad is considered to be slightly below or at best on a par with the PH SR4. Note that Paul has just brought out an SR4 Turbo and also has a 5 between the 4 and the SR7 which is considered to make a bigger difference than any on your list. The only problem with PH is apparently the very long waiting times.

I use Custom Hi-Fi Cables power supplies made and designed by Sean Jacobs who designed the power supply for the Innuos Statement. His DC3 brought a significant sonic enhancement to my Roon Nucleus+. I am on the waiting list for a power supply for my EtherRegens, which he should start working on soon with any luck.

10 hours ago, sahmen said:

Talking about power supplies, I am currently using the SGC 5v LPS with the OM, and it sounds okay to me, although I haven't tried anything else with it yet.  I have not really considered changing the power supply for the OM, because I have always assumed an LPS swap with the OM wouldn't make as much of a difference, as it could potentially make with, say, the Etherregen. Does this sound like an accurate assessment to you?   Would the OM sound significantly different and better if I were to replace the 5v SGC LPS with an Uptone lpS 1.2, for example?

Excellent question! 😊

I remember that when I exchanged the SMPS (it was an iFi one) for the LPS 1.2 and than the sbooster + ultra I have experienced a noticeable SQ upgrade. I don’t have any SGC, so I can’t comment on that. In any case even using these latest LPS the sound differs between them, so I am sure that the “quality” of what you’re using  to feed the oM will at least change the sound! Sorry if my reply doesn’t really answer your question! 
Cheers Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

I’ve found that the UpTone JS-2 sounds better than the LPS 1.2 as well. 

I have my Etherregen grounded when I was using the LPS 1.2. Do I need to still ground it if I use it with the JS2? I think I’ve read conflicting posts. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

2 minutes ago, sahmen said:

I'd also like to know if I'll need to ground it (the ER)if I were to power it with a Paul Hynes SR4T LPS unit.

All Paul Hynes PSU are floating designs so if you want to ground the eR you need to do it via the groundscrew when powered with a floating PSU.

The grounding affects how the filtering between the A-side ports works.

This is from the manual.

Please keep in mind that all of the above regarding grounding concerns only the blocking of leakage from one RJ45 jack on the ‘A’ side to another RJ45 jack also on the 'A' side. Regardless of grounding, zero AC leakage from upstream Ethernet devices ever gets past the full active digital isolation and reclocking ADIMto the EtherREGEN’s 'B'-side port.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
2 minutes ago, octaviars said:

All Paul Hynes PSU are floating designs so if you want to ground the eR you need to do it via the groundscrew when powered with a floating PSU.

The grounding affects how the filtering between the A-side ports works.

This is from the manual.

Please keep in mind that all of the above regarding grounding concerns only the blocking of leakage from one RJ45 jack on the ‘A’ side to another RJ45 jack also on the 'A' side. Regardless of grounding, zero AC leakage from upstream Ethernet devices ever gets past the full active digital isolation and reclocking ADIMto the EtherREGEN’s 'B'-side port.

Thanks. So far I do not have any RJ45 cables connected to the A side.  I only have one fiber optic cable that connects the A-side to an optical module.  I, of course, have one RJ45 cable on the B-side connecting the ER to my Streamer.  Does this mean I can do without the grounding if I am powering the ER with the Paul Hynes SR4T in this configuration?  I do not, and will not, need to block any leakage from any RJ45 cable on the A side to another on the A side.

Hey Guys,

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a JS-2 to power my etherregen. Can anyone with a JS-2 powering an etherregen comment on what improvements if any I might hear. Also another 2 questions: 1) I also want to power another component that will be on the A side of the etherregen—-can I power both the etherregen and the A side component from the same JS-2 power supply without detrimental effects? 2) is the JS-2 a floating design such that I would need to ground the etherregen (I will have more than one connection to the A side of etherregen)? 

Thanks in advance for your help guys!!

Ron

6 minutes ago, ikemi said:

Hey Guys,

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a JS-2 to power my etherregen. Can anyone with a JS-2 powering an etherregen comment on what improvements if any I might hear.

Ron

Ron, two opinions (there are others if you do a search):  

Also see:

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Hi All ER enthusiasts,

I have a FiOS ONT, 30 feet coax to my Router, 30 feet Ghent catsnake JSSG 360, ER. 

One user was fortunate enough to have extra FiOS cable to move his ONT next to his set up and then a short connection to his router and a short connection to his ER. He reported a great improvement, but it was probably mostly because he was able to eliminate a fiber optic module.  I cannot move my ONT but I can, with some effort, move my router next to my set up. The concern is that Wi-Fi also comes from the router. I have an extra 3 foot Ghent catsnake I could use from the router to the ER but I am worried that the wi-Fi would negate the benefit of the shorter connection. Does anyone have any experience with this? I could probably go into the router and turn off the Wi-Fi.

Alternately I could run fiber optic The 30 feet from the router to the ER although, I would be sad to waste the 30 foot Ghent cable.  It seems like it would be a good use for this fiber optic technology.  My question is about power supplies. (I am using the stock power supply on the ER until I can get an appropriate LPS for it.) I recently put an LPS on the router and enjoyed the benefit it made.  I had an issue with that LPS and had to remove it, I missed the benefit of it. If I add the optical module to supply the ER I am assuming The OR will benefit from a better power supply (experience please?) 

Does anyone have experience if they are using the OR does it still benefit to use an LPS for the router?

Thank you 

9 hours ago, drjimwillie said:

Does anyone have experience if they are using the OR does it still benefit to use an LPS for the router?

Thank you 

I found the opticalRendu benefited from an LPS, as it did the EtherRegen which replaced it. I also use an LPS to power my router. That is also of benefit, but I assume the benefit comes from replacing a SMPS that was adding noise back onto the AC line. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

1 hour ago, sahmen said:

sahmen's ER log.  Sunday morning. March 29th, 2020.

I've been listening to albums of Bobo Stenson, Tomasz Stanko, Nik Bartsch's Ronin, among others, and I am experiencing all over again, that wonderful feeling of "This is the bestest best I've ever heard them all sound, Ever, period!."  

Yes, yes and yes.  Perhaps we were listening to the same Roon radio stream.  I don't listen to these because they are challenging to a system, but they are and they do highlight changes in PRAT, tonality and resolution.  Yesterday's Ronin selection suddenly revealed how much is going on in Bartsch's music.  It was a bit astounding.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I just posted my listening impressions, and now want to explore whether or not to go down the rabbit hole of power supplied and cables.  I know a lot of these improvements are system dependent, but just interested in views of others as to whether these will be noticeable upgrades or just a very tiny improvement.  In my review I noted that EtherRegen gave another overall 5% improvement to my system.

To review:

My System:

A side

Asus Cable Modem > Monoprice slim run Cat 6a

Imac (Roon Core) > Generic Cat 5

Apple TV 4K > Generic Cat 5 

B Side

Terra Grand Cat 7 > Oppo BDP 205 (modified) (Roon endpoint) > Coax > AMC DAC 9 (modified) > Aesthetix Mimas Integrated > Vandersteen Quatro CTs

Power:  PS Audio Stellar 3 Regenerator (except for cable modem and Imac).

Key Questions:

Should I replace the stock power supply with:

UltraCap LPS 1.2

Or

JS-2

If so, what are the areas that are improved for each?

If I get a JS-2, as I understand it, I cannot use both rails for EtherRen and A side Asus Modem as that would violate the “moat” correct? Is there a work around?

As a completely separate question, should I consider an LPS 1.2 for the Asus Modem?

Given the investment in my System, I’m happy to spend the money in the right place if it gives a meaningful improvement (I know what’s meaningful to me might not be meaningful to you) but still interested on others views on how they have viewed the cost/benefit tradeoff of these further tweaks.

Also, any thoughts on Ethernet cables also welcome.  Thanks all!

58 minutes ago, Ready4Audio said:

I just posted my listening impressions, and now want to explore whether or not to go down the rabbit hole of power supplied and cables.  I know a lot of these improvements are system dependent, but just interested in views of others as to whether these will be noticeable upgrades or just a very tiny improvement.  In my review I noted that EtherRegen gave another overall 5% improvement to my system.

To review:

My System:

A side

Asus Cable Modem > Monoprice slim run Cat 6a

Imac (Roon Core) > Generic Cat 5

Apple TV 4K > Generic Cat 5 

B Side

Terra Grand Cat 7 > Oppo BDP 205 (modified) (Roon endpoint) > Coax > AMC DAC 9 (modified) > Aesthetix Mimas Integrated > Vandersteen Quatro CTs

Power:  PS Audio Stellar 3 Regenerator (except for cable modem and Imac).

Key Questions:

Should I replace the stock power supply with:

UltraCap LPS 1.2

Or

JS-2

If so, what are the areas that are improved for each?

If I get a JS-2, as I understand it, I cannot use both rails for EtherRen and A side Asus Modem as that would violate the “moat” correct? Is there a work around?

As a completely separate question, should I consider an LPS 1.2 for the Asus Modem?

Given the investment in my System, I’m happy to spend the money in the right place if it gives a meaningful improvement (I know what’s meaningful to me might not be meaningful to you) but still interested on others views on how they have viewed the cost/benefit tradeoff of these further tweaks.

Also, any thoughts on Ethernet cables also welcome.  Thanks all!

I am powering my ER with an LPS 1.2 and the improvement over the stock switching supply, in my system, is “nice” but not earthshattering.  Then, again, my hearing isn’t at 100% audiophile level, either.

I also use an old HDPlex LPS with one rail for each of my Netgear cable modem and ASUS router.  If it makes an audible difference of significance, it’s just lost on me. One thing to point out, though: dunno about yours, but my ASUS router takes a 19v power supply.  I don’t think that an LPS 1.2 can provide that kind of power.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

8 hours ago, Ready4Audio said:

You will not violate the isolation when you power the etherREGEN and a modem on the A-side with a JS-2.

If you where to power the etherREGEN and a component on the B-side then you would defeat the purpose of the isolation as JS-2 have a shared -0V for the two outputs.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree