IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 2/21/2020 at 4:25 AM, Jud said:

Hi - just came this afternoon. The tragic situation with the coronavirus has understandably slowed shipping from China.

Hi Jud, can you already share your first impressions about the Ghent ethernet cable? And what length did you get?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

1 hour ago, adamaley said:

I would go with the Farad Super3. Not too far out of your budget if you go with the stock options.

Thanks Adamaley! Have you compared to other LPS? If yes, what were your findings and what voltage did you use? Cheers Jorge 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Hi, yes. To my ears it has both the vocal and high end prowess of the Cable Matters Cat 8 and the body/bottom of the Monoprice Cat 8. But it does not seem to unduly emphasize either. It just seems accurate to me (speaking subjectively, of course). I've reached "final cable" for copper Ethernet. Due to the price, I would say anyone who would like to roll their own JSSG360 version of a Cat 8 cable and has the capability should give it a try.

These are quite stiff. I got 2 of them in 2 meter lengths, and in my system that's about the shortest I could go without putting undue torque on the components they connect to.

Thx. So you choose a Cat 8 version. I discovered just now that Ghent has this option. A linkway cable. I was under the assumption they only had one constructed with Cat 6a Belden and Metz connectors.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

8 hours ago, Ponkbutler said:

I'd also be interested in reports from people who have compared power supplies.

Feedback so far in this thread:

One poster found a modest improvement with an LPS 1.2 and a bigger improvement with a Paul Hynes SR4.

Another post comments that power cable changes make more difference than powering through an HDPLEX 200W. 

There was one report of some improvement using an SBooster.

Another, slightly more detailed post reported improvements with an (unspecified) Small Green Computer LPS with Pangaea power chord which produced deeper bass and a "better" soundstage.

One person found a SOTM SPS500 improved clarity but lacked life and rhythm. They sold it on.

Another posted reported a satisfying improvement with the JS-2 providing the ER earth terminal is connected to the common ground of the JS-2. 

Over on the Naim Forum one user reported a big lift using a Sean Jacobs (Custom HiFi Cables) DC3 power supply.

I think the problem is that people don’t have a bunch of power supplies to swap in to compare. I haven’t had the time to try the ifi DC purifier yet that I have.  In my system, I notice a big difference with the SGC LPS, but that LPS runs too hot driving the ER for my liking, so for now I’m only using it for shorter, serious listening sessions. I have the new Sonore LPS which is powering my ultraRendu now instead of the SGC, but it has a Blue fuse which I don’t want to risk because the ER would push that LPS the max. (The Sonore LPS looks like it has the same case as the Farad mentioned here.)

I’m sold on upgrading the stock SMPS, but undecided on which way to go.  I might just go for the LPS 1.2 someday when I get a chance, but the Farad looks interesting because it has a higher current rating. 

8 hours ago, skatbelt said:

Thx. So you choose a Cat 8 version. I discovered just now that Ghent has this option. A linkway cable. I was under the assumption they only had one constructed with Cat 6a Belden and Metz connectors.

I don’t like the Metz connectors (they don’t always engage properly), so went with the same Belden cable from DesignaCable. It’s quite flexible being a braided CatSnake and gives a very strong, balanced performance in my system that I’m very pleased with, but doesn’t have the additional end-to-end connection. The shield on mine is floating. I prefer these to the Belden CatSnake Cat5e and much prefer them to the BJC Cat6a, Supra Cat8 abd Sablon Super Panatela (another very stiff and heavy cable with Telegartners, which engage better than the Metz but are longer, putting a lot of leverage on the sockets) never mind the Audioquest Vodkas and Wireworld Starlights. 

On 2/27/2020 at 6:48 PM, Ponkbutler said:

I don’t like the Metz connectors (they don’t always engage properly), so went with the same Belden cable from DesignaCable. It’s quite flexible being a braided CatSnake and gives a very strong, balanced performance in my system that I’m very pleased with, but doesn’t have the additional end-to-end connection. The shield on mine is floating. I prefer these to the Belden CatSnake Cat5e and much prefer them to the BJC Cat6a, Supra Cat8 abd Sablon Super Panatela (another very stiff and heavy cable with Telegartners, which engage better than the Metz but are longer, putting a lot of leverage on the sockets) never mind the Audioquest Vodkas and Wireworld Starlights. 

Very interested in exactly what cable is your favorite? Is it a Belden Cat8 with floating  shield at both ends? Can you provide a link to the exact one?

I haven’t really started exploring power supplies with the ER apart from a couple of experiments which showed to me that different supplies have a small but definitely noticeable effect.

here is what I have tried in increasing quality, worst on left, best on right.

Stock supply < LPS 1.2 < Welborne Linear < JS~2

The surprise here was the old Welborne linear which I was using on my router. It is no longer available but is a simple floating linear cheaper than the LPS and of course the JS-2. The least surprising was the JS-2 which I usually find the best wherever I put it. Practicallity aside I would just love a rack of JS-2 for everything, but I don’t have the space for another JS-2, and it is a bit overkill IMO especially when the old Welborne sounded a hairbreadth less for a fraction of the price.

So I will have a look at for more mid level linear supplies to replace the Welborne (which is currently my default for the ER) but might just spring for another Farad3 for this particular application.

Oh and the audible difference going from left to right was improved upper frequencies, cleaner more organic sound, and more relaxed but punchier mids and bass.

Also used a separate ER ground with all supplies except the stock.

21 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

Oh and the audible difference going from left to right was improved upper frequencies, cleaner more organic sound, and more relaxed but punchier mids and bass.

This is what I'm finding too as the recently acquired JS-2 gets more playing time.  Regarding the size of the change, I wonder if the quality of the power entering the home is the biggest factor.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

2 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Also used a separate ER ground with all supplies except the stock.

Has anyone listened for a difference when using a separate ground WITH the stock supply?  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

2 hours ago, Lucie said:

Yes. Glad you asked. It’s clearly better in my system. Did a lot of  back and forth. (And now I’m going to hide, because that appears to be technically impossible) -waving a white flag form my shelter-

I ran a 14 awg wire between the ground on the ER and the ground on my Shunyata Denali v1.  I thought I might have heard a subtle improvement but I am skeptical that this could have really helped, hence my question.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

1 hour ago, PYP said:

For me, the JS-2 -- which is a solid, beautiful piece of gear – solved the issues.  But it did more than solve the issues:  the SQ is now better than the eR at its best (in the evening) with the SMPS. 

Hi,

Could you inform us about the voltage you have set on the JS-2 to power the ER (7 / 9 / 12 V ?) Have you experimented and compared different voltages ?

26 minutes ago, André Gosselin said:

Hi,

Could you inform us about the voltage you have set on the JS-2 to power the ER (7 / 9 / 12 V ?) Have you experimented and compared different voltages ?

12 V.  Haven't tried other voltages and probably won't, at least for a while...  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Before I added the JS-2 to my system, I removed the ground wire to the eR and the small weight placed on top of the eR to get a baseline without them over time.  Short story:  both have been returned their previous duties.  

As usual, RTFM (which is really helpful since it was carefully written) but experiment too.