IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 2/11/2020 at 9:13 PM, kennyb123 said:

The attenuators tended to reveal a bit more to me after swapping one in for another that had been in place for a few days at least.  While I have had the Startech SFPs for a while, my system got quite a better over the weekend after shifting a few things around.  I’ll have to spend more time with each of these to be able to reach any firm conclusions.  I guess I’m actually somewhat relieved that the differences were pretty subtle.  

How about some lesser dB attenuators on LX?  ZX is WAY powerful (40KM) and if it sounds better with 10dB of attenuation, it follows that LX (10KM) would be affected by say 2-5dB attenuation.  At $3 each, I'm going to pick up an assortment to try but I'm only going with 1310nm LX (10KM) and a 10m SMF patch.

3 hours ago, lpost said:

How about some lesser dB attenuators on LX?  ZX is WAY powerful (40KM) and if it sounds better with 10dB of attenuation, it follows that LX (10KM) would be affected by say 2-5dB attenuation.  At $3 each, I'm going to pick up an assortment to try but I'm only going with 1310nm LX (10KM) and a 10m SMF patch.

I’ve been listening with the LX SFPs in place for a few days now (with no attenuators).  I’ve heard no evidence of harm being done due to over-saturation of the receivers.  My system has never sounded better - but I‘m also not sure if it sounds that different from how it sounded with the ZX SFPs (with attenuators) in place.  I plan to return to the latter sometime this weekend and will again try to tease out any differences.

I’ll look forward to hearing your thoughts on what you hear.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

On 2/11/2020 at 9:13 PM, kennyb123 said:

I do hear a difference between the TRENDnet 1000BASE-LX SFP (no attenuators) and the Startech 1000BASE-ZX SFP (with a 10 dB attenuator on each receiver). It’s not a difference that leaves one thinking one performs poorly relative to the other though.  Most apparent to me was a difference in the upper frequencies.  Highs are a bit more prominent with the TRENDnet.  This brings out a bit more detail.  I’m tempted to say that it slightly shifted the balance on guitar strings and voices where there was a bit less midrange presence with the TRENDnet.  These are very subtle differences and I haven’t done enough listening yet to be able to say which is more correct.

I have concluded that I really can’t pick a winner between the two different SFPs as described above.  On really good recordings they both sound great.  On recordings that have a harder edge, the highs on the TRENDnet are a bit more prominent.  At first I wondered if maybe the Startech was coming up short in that area, but maybe @lpost is right that 1000BASE-LX may still require some attenuation.  I think I could live with either one though.  The TRENDnet will be sent back to Amazon tomorrow though as the Startech are no longer eligible for return. But even if I could still return them, the Startech would still be the keepers as think I have a slight preference for the Startech.  I don’t think I’ll be trying any more SFPs unless some consensus forms around one in particular that is found to work exceptionally well with the ER.  I’m really happy with where things ended up.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I'll have the parts I ordered by the end of next week.  Perhaps the primary difference is LED vs laser.  SX transceivers get away with LED for the light source, while LX and ZX et al use lasers.

I purchased 4dB and 12dB attenuators just for fun to try.  These were the only ones that were in US warehouse for quick ship, otherwise they come from Asia and that could take weeks with the current virus situation.

So, I'll be comparing SX (850nm) LED to LX (1310nm) 10k lasers with and without attenuation over a 5m single mode patch.

My path is Cisco 2960G (AV switch) feeds ER B-side > A-side SFP out to Pink Faun 2.16 PCIe fiber NIC.

It's sounding astoundingly good and I'll be impressed if the LX improves things further but for $75 I was willing to run the experiment.

I'll follow up in a couple weeks

On 2/9/2020 at 9:13 PM, Jud said:

Yes, I'm very happy with what I'm hearing. I have this nagging curiosity about whether a well shielded cable without the shield tied to ground at the connectors will do a good job, particularly upstream of the ER, so I'm trying the Ghent. But that's as expensive as I go.

Hey @Jud. Wondering how the Ghent test is turning out for you. Any updates? 

I seem to be in your same line of thought.

Cheers

34 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Hey @Jud. Wondering how the Ghent test is turning out for you. Any updates? 

I seem to be in your same line of thought.

Cheers

Hi - just came this afternoon. The tragic situation with the coronavirus has understandably slowed shipping from China.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, Jud said:

Hi - just came this afternoon. The tragic situation with the coronavirus has understandably slowed shipping from China.

Thank you. Indeed, it's mayhem. My sister lives in Beijing and fled 4 weeks ago with the kids. No fun.

From reading around, I'm understanding the JSSG360 boils down to a metal mesh throughout the length of the cable with a thin cable running along and connected at both ends to the mesh. A long Faraday cage with a connective link to allow any potential differential to flow from one end to the other. Am I understanding it right? So a DIY JSSG360 treatment is fairly easy to try on any std CAT6 or 7 and hear if it makes any difference vs a plain version. Fun to test while I wait for my eR to be shipped end of next week or so.

Looking forward to your experience with the Ghent!

1 hour ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Thank you. Indeed, it's mayhem. My sister lives in Beijing and fled 4 weeks ago with the kids. No fun.

From reading around, I'm understanding the JSSG360 boils down to a metal mesh throughout the length of the cable with a thin cable running along and connected at both ends to the mesh. A long Faraday cage with a connective link to allow any potential differential to flow from one end to the other. Am I understanding it right? So a DIY JSSG360 treatment is fairly easy to try on any std CAT6 or 7 and hear if it makes any difference vs a plain version. Fun to test while I wait for my eR to be shipped end of next week or so.

Looking forward to your experience with the Ghent!

I'm on a learning curve myself with JSSG - about to build DC cables for an SR7. The DC Cables thread [https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/] is excellent. I only post really to say that there is a "360" version of JSSG which I understand to involve the replacement of the outer wire with a further braid/mesh (credit @lmitche if I'm not mistaken). On the DC thread there are great soldering tips (sic) courtesy @Middy if you are not already a dab hand. Of course JSSG can be used for ethernet cables whether the plugs are DIY or unmolested (in which case a lot trickier).

On 2/15/2020 at 7:23 AM, lpost said:

I'll be comparing SX (850nm) LED to LX (1310nm) 10k lasers with and without attenuation over a 5m single mode patch.

My path is Cisco 2960G (AV switch) feeds ER B-side > A-side SFP out to Pink Faun 2.16 PCIe fiber NIC.

It's only been a couple hours but I must say I'm impressed with the LX 1310nm transceivers with 12dB attenuators.  It worked without attenuators, of course, but there is an 'ease' with them in vs. without.  I listened for 30 mins. or so before pulling the server to clean it out and add...EMI absorption.

I was needing to pull my server off the rack and clean it as it's been nearly 2 years since installed.  While grounded I used a static-free brush and a blower to clean it all out.  It wasn't as dirty as I thought, it's fan-less, but still I feel better with it clean.

I must add I broke the cardinal rule of change only one thing at a time but the effort to move a 70lbs server is significant for me.  I added a good number of 3M AB5020 Adhesive EMI Absorber to many components within the server.  I've read not to over do it, but I don't understand how more radiated interference within the box could be a good thing vs. less.  Again, conserving effort, I put a layer on every cap head, IC with or without a smooth aluminum heatsink and probably most importantly, numerous layers between and either side of the memory modules.  I just set the strips on each side as opposed to sticking them on the memory as I'll be trying some APacer modules soon.

I can recommend both tweaks as worthwhile and both are quite inexpensive by any standard let alone audiophilla standards.

A return to SFP madness here as I just received a pair of the Planet Technology SFPs mentioned earlier in this thread.  Lovely sound quality right out of the box - but I could not tell you at this point if they are better than the Startech SFPs.  More later...

It was easy to confirm that the Planet Technology SFP was a better choice than the Startech SFP in the ER.  The latter does harm that wasn’t evident previously.  I still remain surprised that this was so easy to hear.  I can now see why Emile reacted the way he did. 

Here’s the link to the SFP:  https://planetechusa.com/product/mgb-tlx-mini-gbic-lx-module-20km/.  

5 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

It was easy to confirm that the Planet Technology SFP was a better choice than the Startech SFP in the ER.  The latter does harm that wasn’t evident previously.  I still remain surprised that this was so easy to hear.  I can now see why Emile reacted the way he did. 

Here’s the link to the SFP:  https://planetechusa.com/product/mgb-tlx-mini-gbic-lx-module-20km/.  

Hi Kenny,

Did you need to use attenuators with these? I am presently using a Sonore OM with my Optical Rendu. Due to receive my EtherRegen this month, can’t wait.

Thanks.....Mike

another question....Single Mode or Multi Mode, what fiber are you using? Where can one purchase the Corning Clear Glass Fiber?

6 hours ago, BCRich said:

Hi Kenny,

Did you need to use attenuators with these? I am presently using a Sonore OM with my Optical Rendu. Due to receive my EtherRegen this month, can’t wait.

Thanks.....Mike

another question....Single Mode or Multi Mode, what fiber are you using? Where can one purchase the Corning Clear Glass Fiber?

No attenuators at present.  I did order some 3 dB attenuators just to satisfy my curiosity.  They should be here tomorrow.

Single mode with this fiber:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0099S4UTQ/

On 1/5/2020 at 8:17 AM, Meridimac said:

Here is one more data-point-in-time of first impressions as I burn in a few cables while waiting for January ER delivery:

Cable Matters Cat8 1 meter from Cisco 2960 into Allo DigiOne Signature feeding Meridian active SE speakers has dynamics, definition, deep soundstage and satisfying bottom end -but can be a little sharp at times as described by BCRich earlier in this thread.

My usual cable in the same spot, Shunyata Venom, is not quite as lively as the CM but consistently listenable.

A 7-foot Tera Grand Cat7 premium (not flat) is less defined, much more forward and lacks bass in comparison.

A 3-foot "solid copper" CertiCable New Technology Cat8 is also somewhat forward, but pleasantly so, with a wide soundstage and slightly brittle top end at this point.

I will report again on these four once they have many more hours and ER replaces my Cisco Catalyst.

Here's the update 7 weeks later: My thought to use the Cisco elsewhere has been discarded. After much burn-in I prefer this path: Ubiquiti router fiber to Cisco, CM Cat8 to ER, Shunyata Venom to Allo transport, Blue Jeans S/PDIF to Meridian

On 2/21/2020 at 8:20 AM, Iving said:

I'm on a learning curve myself with JSSG - about to build DC cables for an SR7. The DC Cables thread [https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/] is excellent. I only post really to say that there is a "360" version of JSSG which I understand to involve the replacement of the outer wire with a further braid/mesh (credit @lmitche if I'm not mistaken). On the DC thread there are great soldering tips (sic) courtesy @Middy if you are not already a dab hand. Of course JSSG can be used for ethernet cables whether the plugs are DIY or unmolested (in which case a lot trickier).

Thank for the tip! I had actually found the thread in the past and tried to tackle a couple times, but at 49 pages long I gave up along the way. I'll search posts by lmitche and Middy.

Thanks again!