IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

12 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Hi all,

I've read the last month of postings here and can't seem to find a consensus on SFPs and Fiber combinations. Between tplink startech, cisco, 850nm 1350nm, 1550nm with attentuators or not, om4 or om5 fiber, I am lost.

Am I missing something, or is there no best practice yet? How should one proceed?

Larry

You get nice info when you make a search at WBF with keyword: startech and look at posts from Taiko Audio.

But not all work properly with ER.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

4 hours ago, sahmen said:

By the way speaking of pragmatism, I am already using a Cable Matters Cat8 cable between the ER and the Ambre, and although it sounds fine, and leaves nothing obvious to complain about, I have got all the forces of audio nervosa and confirmation bias in my body protesting against that choice, and trying to convince me that the Cable Matters Cat8 simply can't be the best I can do under the present circumstances... And what can a poor guy like me do to quiet down such mighty forces?...😘

Seriously though, I still want to make one choice among the above and be done with this phase of the quest.

The Cable Matters CAT8 is crazy good for the price.  Compared to the Shunyata Sigma, the CM’s sins were sins of omission. 

The Sigma did a better job in the time domain.  Notes stopped and started more as they should.  Bass became tighter with bit more punch - and likewise bass lines became easier to follow.  There was a crispness to transients that left me thinking that maybe the Sigma might have been doing a better job of preserving the benefits that come with the better clock in the ER.  The Sigma was quieter and revealed more details as well.  

For the price, the SOtM CAT7 is a great choice.  I agree with everything @Always.Learning wrote in the post he quoted.  I was leaning towards buying the SOtM but ended up opting for the Sigma.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

6 hours ago, matthias said:

You get nice info when you make a search at WBF with keyword: startech and look at posts from Taiko Audio.

But not all work properly with ER.

I think it was more the case that Emile didn’t like the ER as much with the Startech SFP as he did with an OEM SFP he had on hand.  The Startech SFP has been working just fine in my ER.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

6 hours ago, lmitche said:

I've read the last month of postings here and can't seem to find a consensus on SFPs and Fiber combinations. Between tplink startech, cisco, 850nm 1350nm, 1550nm with attentuators or not, om4 or om5 fiber, I am lost.

Am I missing something, or is there no best practice yet? How should one proceed?

No consensus yet.  One person here favored 1350 over 850.  And Emile favored 1350 over 1550.  But was it the wavelength or the SFP itself that made the difference?

Knowing what I know now, I’d shoot for 1350 nm in a shorter reach of like 10 km or 20 km.  The shorter reach should mean a less powerful laser and maybe no need for attenuators.

4 hours ago, sahmen said:

Lol : You're certainly not alone, if that is any consolation... My needs are many, but now, I am limiting them to one, for the meantime : a simple 1 meter ethernet cable to connect the B-side of my ER to my Metrum Acoustics Ambre streamer. Reading this forum and others, I have learnt about the relative benefits of the following options, but there is sadly no consensus, and I get the feeling there isn't going to be one, any time soon :

1. Audioquest vodka (and maybe diamond?)

2. Wireworld Starlight 8

3. Supra Cat8

4. Shunyata Sigma (or  Alpha)

5. Nordost Hemdall (or Blue Heaven)

6. SOtM dCBL Cat7 (and Cat6)...etc etc

I am sure there are others that I am leaving out, but the list at least provides some indication as what I am faced with, at the moment.  In an ideal world, i'd simply get all of them and try them one by one, in order to ferret out and keep the one which sounds best with the ER and my other gear, and return all the rest, but it doesn't look like there is some way to try out all these expensive cables without breaking the bank (Will the cable company have all of them for rent, for example?).

On the other hand, I have already replaced the generic cheapo RJ45 cable inside my Metrum Ambre Roon bridge with a 20cm length SOtM dCBL Cat6 cable, and that replacement made a very good, and exciting impact on the sound, so something tells me that I should simply get a 1m version of the same cable to connect the ambre with the B-side of the ER and be done with all my present torment of second guessing cables.  Except that this last thought itself leads to another set of questions : What if one of the other cables on the list would sound better? Is it ever a good idea to mix brands of cables on the B-side of the ER (i.e. whatever cable I choose is going to have to interact directly with the SOtM dCBL Cat6 inside the Ambre, so if mixing cables on the b-side is.not a good idea, then the best approach would either to use another dCBL Cat6 cable to complement the one already inside the Ambre, or to use another brand of cable for the two purposes : connecting the Ambre with the ER, and replacing the RJ45 cable inside the Ambre)...

So far, I am inclined to settle for the 1m SOtM dCBL Cat6 cable not necessarily because I know it is the best option, but it seems to be the easiest, cheapest, and most pragmatic choice, however is pragmatism a good reason to choose a cable, given how expensive this one is going to be (i.e. $350)?... As you can see, I have learnt how to torture myself with such endless questions...

I thought having an audio enthusiast hobby was supposed to be fun all the way....😀

By the way speaking of pragmatism, I am already using a Cable Matters Cat8 cable between the ER and the Ambre, and although it sounds fine, and leaves nothing obvious to complain about, I have got all the forces of audio nervosa and confirmation bias in my body protesting against that choice, and trying to convince me that the Cable Matters Cat8 simply can't be the best I can do under the present circumstances... And what can a poor guy like me do to quiet down such mighty forces?...😘

Seriously though, I still want to make one choice among the above and be done with this phase of the quest.

John Swenson's advice (and this is also my own experience) is to no not use a lan-isolator after te ER  / from the B-side. So this would eliminate the SOtM and Shunyata's from your list because these have build in isolators. I would add the Ghent CAT6A JSSG360 to your list. It is on mine.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

1 minute ago, skatbelt said:

John Swenson's advice (and this is also my own experience) is to no not use a lan-isolator after te ER  / from the B-side so this would eliminate the SOtM and Shunyata's from your list because these have build in isolators. I would add the Ghent CAT6A JSSG360 to your list. It is on mine.

I think John was speaking of more of active isolation devices and not passive filters.   The Shunyata includes common mode filters - not isolators.  The SOtM also includes a filter I believe.

34 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

John Swenson's advice (and this is also my own experience) is to no not use a lan-isolator after te ER  / from the B-side. So this would eliminate the SOtM and Shunyata's from your list because these have build in isolators. I would add the Ghent CAT6A JSSG360 to your list. It is on mine.

Thanks for the information, but it is a bit confusing, since the SOtM cables come in two configurations: dCBL Cat6/Cat7 on the one hand and the ISO Cat6 and ISO Cat7 on the other.  The ones I am interested in are the dCBL Cat6 or Cat7 versions which do not tout any Isolation properties, although they are designed to suppress noise through the use of some filters, as I understand it.

At least from the viewpoint of my own understanding which might be admittedly limited, the work of Isolation is reserved for SOtM cables, such as the ISO-CAT6 or ISO-CAT7, which  I did not intend to buy in the first place: Of course, I would like to know if what @JohnSwenson also applies to the SOtM dCBL Cat6 and dCBL Cat7 which do not claim any isolating functionalities.

Here are the specs of the dCBL-Cat7

Specification
dCBL-CAT7
Electronic specification
Impedance : 100 Ohm (±15%)
Support 10/100/1000Base-T, 10GBase-T
Mechanical specification
Cable outer diameter : 10mm (±1mm)
Noise filter block dimension(mm) : 120 x 25 x 25 (±0.5mm)
Gold plated contacts
Nickel plated zinc diecast connector bod
Aluminum-lined plastic foil & copper braid shield
Optional specification
Lengths from 1.5M up to 20M
Operating environment
Operating & Storage temperature : 0 ~ +40℃

And here are those of the Iso-Cat6 Special Edition:

iSO-CAT6 Special Edition
Isolator specification
CAT6 support
Fully shielded modular jack
High quality isolation transformer
Isolation 1500Vrms, 0.5mA, 60sec
Supplied LAN cables
Black : High resolution and dynamic
Grey : Moderate
Dard Grey : Mild and comfortable
Others
High-end audio grade sound tuning
No need external power supply

The user manual for both units is here:

https://www.sotm-audio.com/files/Accessories/dCBL-CAT7/dCBL-CAT7_with_iSO-CAT6_SE_Operating_Instructions_Rev1.0_EN.pdf?beb669&beb669

6 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I think it was more the case that Emile didn’t like the ER as much with the Startech SFP as he did with an OEM SFP he had on hand.  The Startech SFP has been working just fine in my ER.

The comment of Emile was ...."the ER performs very poorly with the Startech SFP1000ZXST SFPs which are my preferred modules in any other scenario."

BTW, this is a 1550nm SFP, not a 1350nm one.

Matt

1 hour ago, matthias said:

The comment of Emile was ...."the ER performs very poorly with the Startech SFP1000ZXST SFPs which are my preferred modules in any other scenario."

BTW, this is a 1550nm SFP, not a 1350nm one.

Matt

Yes I know it’s 1550nm as I have one.  Did I say otherwise?  And thanks for digging up the quote from Emile.

That SFP sounds excellent in my ER (relative to the copper it replaced). I have no idea what the ER would sound like with an SFP that performs well. I’m awaiting consensus on a better SFP.

I should also mention that I brought my ER over to a friend’s home who is also using the same Startech SFPs but is using Startech FMCs on both sides.  A very obvious improvement came when we swapped in the ER.  He has the best system I’ve heard with a dCS Vivaldi, D’Agostino electronics, and Sonus Faber Aida speakers.  I can guarantee you that if you heard the improvement it brought you would not have said the ER “performs poorly with that Startech SFP”.  But then again my friend doesn’t have an Extreme.

My friend’s system produces the most incredibly immersive soundstage I’ve heard.  Close your eyes and his room (walls and ceiling) absolutely disappears.  The ER with that SFP very obviously improved upon this.  

5 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I believe the SOtM CAT7 "filter" is actually a magnet.

thumbnail_image1.jpg.3d10c5ae7139b7c4682095036e988bcc.jpg

Looks like ferrite clamps.  

59 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Yes I know it’s 1550nm as I have one.  Did I say otherwise?  

No, but you said in post #481 that Emile prefers 1350nm over 1550nm what is contrary to post #486.

Matt

9 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I think John was speaking of more of active isolation devices and not passive filters.   The Shunyata includes common mode filters - not isolators.  The SOtM also includes a filter I believe.

John reported about the Baaske isolator, a passive filter.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

8 hours ago, sahmen said:

Thanks for the information, but it is a bit confusing, since the SOtM cables come in two configurations: dCBL Cat6/Cat7 on the one hand and the ISO Cat6 and ISO Cat7 on the other.  The ones I am interested in are the dCBL Cat6 or Cat7 versions which do not tout any Isolation properties, although they are designed to suppress noise through the use of some filters, as I understand it.

At least from the viewpoint of my own understanding which might be admittedly limited, the work of Isolation is reserved for SOtM cables, such as the ISO-CAT6 or ISO-CAT7, which  I did not intend to buy in the first place: Of course, I would like to know if what @JohnSwenson also applies to the SOtM dCBL Cat6 and dCBL Cat7 which do not claim any isolating functionalities.

Here are the specs of the dCBL-Cat7

Specification
dCBL-CAT7
Electronic specification
Impedance : 100 Ohm (±15%)
Support 10/100/1000Base-T, 10GBase-T
Mechanical specification
Cable outer diameter : 10mm (±1mm)
Noise filter block dimension(mm) : 120 x 25 x 25 (±0.5mm)
Gold plated contacts
Nickel plated zinc diecast connector bod
Aluminum-lined plastic foil & copper braid shield
Optional specification
Lengths from 1.5M up to 20M
Operating environment
Operating & Storage temperature : 0 ~ +40℃

And here are those of the Iso-Cat6 Special Edition:

iSO-CAT6 Special Edition
Isolator specification
CAT6 support
Fully shielded modular jack
High quality isolation transformer
Isolation 1500Vrms, 0.5mA, 60sec
Supplied LAN cables
Black : High resolution and dynamic
Grey : Moderate
Dard Grey : Mild and comfortable
Others
High-end audio grade sound tuning
No need external power supply

The user manual for both units is here:

https://www.sotm-audio.com/files/Accessories/dCBL-CAT7/dCBL-CAT7_with_iSO-CAT6_SE_Operating_Instructions_Rev1.0_EN.pdf?beb669&beb669

My bad, I thought the dCBL-CAT7 had an iSO-CAT6 incorporated. But it appears to be an array of ferrite cores.

26 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

John reported about the Baaske isolator, a passive filter.

I would not call Baaske a filter it is just a galvanic isolator to prevent harmfull (by this I dont mean harmfull to music but people) voltages/currents to go across it, if it was designed as a filter to reduce noise it would need more coils and ferrits. I dont see the point adding something like this after a eR.

1462047207_baaske-network-isolator-med-mi-1005-network-isolator-2x-rj45-en5.thumb.jpg.f6f985034592046ebcb4afd31491fc32.jpg

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
24 minutes ago, octaviars said:

I would not call Baaske a filter it is just a galvanic isolator to prevent harmfull (by this I dont mean harmfull to music but people) voltages/currents to go across it, if it was designed as a filter to reduce noise it would need more coils and ferrits. I dont see the point adding something like this after a eR.

1462047207_baaske-network-isolator-med-mi-1005-network-isolator-2x-rj45-en5.thumb.jpg.f6f985034592046ebcb4afd31491fc32.jpg

It is a semantic discussion. It is a 1:1 transformer and it acts as a common mode noise filter. But your conclusion is exactly John's point. He said it actually degrades the sound. This is my experience as well with the Emo systems isolator (same principle as the Baaske).

13 hours ago, skatbelt said:

I have a couple coming to use between the router and ER, and between ER and microRendu. Things have been a bit slowed, first by lunar New Year, then by delays in shipping due to the havoc the terrible coronavirus tragedy has created, but they're now on their way.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Interesting conversation gentlemen. I use my Pink Faun lan isolator immediately after my router and before the Zen. It makes a difference. To be honest I never tried it after the eR and before the rendu. But if it would affect negatively SQ one might have a case against using cables with isolation after eR. No sure what is the type of isolation used in Sigmas, but several people reported to increase SQ. So I am looking forward to hearing your views on the products your expecting Jud! And yes it’s a tragedy, so many lives...

Cheers Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

By the way, I wanted to mention: I think the sound with the inexpensive Monoprice Cat 8 cable I am using is great, but I want to see if the Ghent will improve my impression of the sound at all. (I have Monoprice Cat 8 with shields tied between cable modem and router, and between ER and microRendu. Between router and ER I have Monoprice Slimrun Cat 6a with plastic connectors.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

By the way, I wanted to mention: I think the sound with the inexpensive Monoprice Cat 8 cable I am using is great, but I want to see if the Ghent will improve my impression of the sound at all. (I have Monoprice Cat 8 with shields tied between cable modem and router, and between ER and microRendu. Between router and ER I have Monoprice Slimrun Cat 6a with plastic connectors.)

yes, the monoprice cat8 is great and also in combination with the DIY supra cat8 with shielding connected on only one site.

Thanks for your advice for the monoprice cat8 @Jud

10 hours ago, matthias said:

No, but you said in post #481 that Emile prefers 1350nm over 1550nm what is contrary to post #486.

Matt

He preferred a 1310nm OEM SFP in the ER over the 1550nm Startech he normally recommends. That’s what I was trying to get across in post #481 as I was responding to a question on consensus as to what works best in the ER.  

19 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

He preferred a 1350nm OEM SFP in the ER over the 1550nm Startech he normally recommends. That’s what I was trying to get across in post #481 as I was responding to a question on consensus as to what works best in the ER.  

OK, this is his comment:

"I discarded it as a contender until a few days later while cleaning up my desk stumbled upon these OEM SFP module samples a supplier send me to try, these are 1310nm 20km range modules designed for usage in sensitive equipment, they draw lower then usual power and are designed for reduced EMI."

Matt