IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

7 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

With all of that extra clarity, it did seem to lose some mids weight and musicality (toe tapping) but I'm thinking that's mostly a case, like I said, of getting used to all of the new detail. The big question is: how do different db attenuators sound, and would a better quality attenuator (say a Belkin) sound any better? Also, both ends vs just the receiving one? 

I’ve been going through the same thought process.  I’m still using 10 dB on one side and 5 dB on the other.  I really like where this has landed .. though another pair of 10 dB attenuators is now 6 stops away.

It’s really easy to A/B copper vs fiber here now.  All I have to do is change which cable plugs into the wall outlet.  (This is a choice between a 8m span of fiber or 7m span of Wireworld Chroma from wall jack to EtherRegen)

Copper almost seems watered down relative to fiber - as if water was added to a really good Cabernet.  Fiber delivers all the flavor via greater coherence, focus and density.   The improvements are musically important for sure.  The fiber brings some other improvements too, but the aforementioned were most obvious when doing A/B.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

@kennyb123 Let me know how those extra db work for you. So you're saying you have attenuators on both ends of the cable, or just one end and different values for each side? (I'm not sure if one side of the fiber cable sends one way and the other the other way?)

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

7 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

What about trying less attenuation?

Yeah, probably need to buy a mix of these and experiment. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

10 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

@kennyb123 Let me know how those extra db work for you. So you're saying you have attenuators on both ends of the cable, or just one end and different values for each side? (I'm not sure if one side of the fiber cable sends one way and the other the other way?)

I believe one leg sends and the other receives.  If so that means I now have a total of 15 dB of attenuation applied, with 10 dB applied to both legs on the server side (the ER) and 5 dB applied to both legs on the other side.

I will experiment with a number of combinations and report back.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Has anyone tried fiber attenuators with TP-Link 311LS? Startech has 80km which should be happier with attenuation, but TP-Link also has a 10km range?

A good single mode cable has attenuation of 0.2 - 0.4 db per km so 1db attenuation simulates 2.5 to 5km of cable. 

I now have Startech and TP-Link to play around and do comparisons. Startech without attenuators is boringly correct (if there is such a thing) so I am eagerly waiting for some attenuators to arrive. 

Also the fiber cable makes some difference in performance. I had locally sourced SM cables and the ones I received from Amazon (sold by H!Fiber.com sound better to my ears. 

They should not let us audiophiles near these things!

Kii Three + BXT, dCS Network Bridge, Astell&Kern SP2000, Stromtank 2500, Roon Nucleus, Echole Power Cables, Mogami + Bocchino AES, SOTM Switch + CAT7 + CAT8

Would someone please post a photo of exactly where and how these attenuators go?  

In case it matters, I’m running copper Ethernet out from a switch into an Optical Module, then fiber from the OM out to the EtherRegen then copper Ethernet out from the EtherRegen into the dac. 

I bought two pairs of 10db and 7db attenuators. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

I think I get where this thread is going, but please allow me to make sure I get this. If your optical connection is too short, you run the risk of overloading the receiver FMC if you don't use attenuators? 

If so, how short is "too short" before this becomes an issue? I currently am running one meter optical cables.  I am skeptical that I we would hear enough of a difference for me to invest a lot of time sorting out five versus seven versus ten db, but I am very concerned about overheating the FMC's in my optical Signature Rendu SE and the opticalModule that feeds my ultraRendu.  The possibility of shortening their lives scares me. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

8 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

but I am very concerned about overheating the FMC's in my optical Signature Rendu SE and the opticalModule that feeds my ultraRendu. 

What type of SFP modules do you use?

I use LX modules that have a range up to 10km with single-mode fiber and I asked FS.com if there were any risk of using them with a short fibercable but that was no problem with the model I bought.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
52 minutes ago, MarkS said:

Would someone please post a photo of exactly where and how these attenuators go?  

In case it matters, I’m running copper Ethernet out from a switch into an Optical Module, then fiber from the OM out to the EtherRegen then copper Ethernet out from the EtherRegen into the dac. 

I bought two pairs of 10db and 7db attenuators. 

I’ve been using pairs at each end.  Simply remove the cable from SFP, insert the pair of attenuators, then insert the cable.

Octaviars, I use the pictured TP-Link one in the EtherRegen and Sig rendu and Ubiquiti-branded compatibles between the TP-Link FMC and opticalModule. I use LC to LC multimode cables.

DD425278-CA58-4231-BECA-8B3A5F57AEC2.png

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

1 minute ago, Mike Rubin said:

Duplicate post.

42 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

I think I get where this thread is going, but please allow me to make sure I get this. If your optical connection is too short, you run the risk of overloading the receiver FMC if you don't use attenuators? 

If so, how short is "too short" before this becomes an issue? I currently am running one meter optical cables.  I am skeptical that I we would hear enough of a difference for me to invest a lot of time sorting out five versus seven versus ten db, but I am very concerned about overheating the FMC's in my optical Signature Rendu SE and the opticalModule that feeds my ultraRendu.  The possibility of shortening their lives scares me. 

See Commandment #3: https://www.controlglobal.com/assets/14WPpdf/140331-BB-FiberOpticCommandments.pdf

In my case the over-saturation was causing treble to get too hot on songs that already had that tendency.  

Is there an option to try the optical connection without needing to bother with any attenuators? I currently have the ER deployed between an Asus Router and a Metrum Acoustics Ambre, and the system sounds pretty good, i.e much more resolving than it was before the ER, among other things...  I currently have it connected on both sides with Cable Matters Cat8 RJ45 cables, and wouldn't normally bother with the optical connectivity options, if I did not have an optical module (with Power supply) idling around unused.

In spite of my satisfaction with the sound as is, I am of course curious as to whether adding the Opticql module to the chain might bring even more enhancements, as some users seem to have claimed already.-If I am to bother experimenting with the Optical module, though, I would like to get all the connections correct (including the appropriate optical cable length, but hopefully, no attenuators if I can avoid that).

One more thing I have idling about is an unused  LPS 1.2. I have read a lot about the effects of a Farad LPS, but not enough about the LPS 1.2 on the ER.  So far, the stock SMPS is all I have used with the ER, and it seems to be doing fine.  If the LPS 1.2 can bring some added improvement, then I wouldn't mind trying it.

Any helpful hints or pointers would be welcome.

5 minutes ago, octaviars said:

Your biggest risk comes when using Single Mode ER (40 Km) and ZX (80 Km) optics, which can overdrive and even burn inputs without sufficient attenuation.

There is no risk of burning Multi Mode optics like the ones you use with short cables.

Thanks very nuch.

And so begins (continues?) my decent into madness ...

Last night I compared two different approaches for applying a total of 20 dB of attenuation.  Two pairs of 10 dB on each end vs a single pair of 20 dB on one end.  I heard a difference.  Then I did some Googling and found this and it gave me a headache.

image.png.aaf3dc93951723d9a7a946456e8c31df.png

I just ordered a pair of simplex fiber cables so that I can implement the above taking into account the photo that follows from Wikipedia.  I don’t think this level of obsessiveness is needed, I’m pursuing this out of curiosity only.  I have pairs of 10 dB attenuators on each side right now and it sounds awesome.

image.png.130ee976aa3887196154401362822217.png

Let me reiterate that my system has never sounded better since implementing this fiber solution along with a pair of 10 dB attenuators on both sides.  For most of you using single mode fiber, I’d suggest ordering two pairs of 10 dB attenuators from Amazon.  Try them at both ends.  

3 hours ago, sahmen said:

One more thing I have idling about is an unused  LPS 1.2. I have read a lot about the effects of a Farad LPS, but not enough about the LPS 1.2 on the ER.  So far, the stock SMPS is all I have used with the ER, and it seems to be doing fine.  If the LPS 1.2 can bring some added improvement, then I wouldn't mind trying it.

Any helpful hints or pointers would be welcome.

I was hoping to sell my LPS 1.2 after installing the EtherRegen, but some A/B comparisons with the supplied SMPS made it clear that it was worthwhile using LPS 1.2 the feed the ER. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Let me reiterate that my system has never sounded better since implementing this fiber solution along with a pair of 10 dB attenuators on both sides.  For most of you using single mode fiber, I’d suggest ordering two pairs of 10 dB attenuators from Amazon.  Try them at both ends.  

I happen to have single mode fiber. I didn’t give it much thought, but I hate the color orange, so I ordered a run of aqua colored single mode fiber. I think things sound great but you have me intrigued. I’ll order the attenuators and give it a try.

The other option is to try a better multi mode cable, like the Sonore branded Corning. But if I post a question on sound quality of optical cable I’m sure to incur much derision on this forum. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

3 hours ago, Ultrarunner said:

I was hoping to sell my LPS 1.2 after installing the EtherRegen, but some A/B comparisons with the supplied SMPS made it clear that it was worthwhile using LPS 1.2 the feed the ER. 

Thanks! What voltage are you using?

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

5 hours ago, Jud said:

From fiber back to inexpensive copper:

I liked the sound with the Cable Matters Cat 8. But there was also something from the Monoprice Cat 6a cables, perhaps a bit of intimacy in the musical presentation, that I missed. So I thought that since the Monoprice Cat 8 cables are quite inexpensive, I'd give them a try to see if I might achieve the best of both worlds. With the Monoprice Cat 8 I immediately felt the sense of intimacy had returned, without the defect of the Cat 6a in comparison to the Cable Matters, which is that the Cable Matters had done such a nice job of presenting top end and voices. The Monoprice Cat 8 in my system does a very nice job of that.

Identical experience here. Started with a Belden Cat6 cable from Blue Jeans with generic plastic plugs from ER to ultraRendu. Not sure if it is the shielded or unshielded version. Tried the Cable Matters for a month, it had slightly better mid bass but I slowly drifted away from the music. I thought the honeymoon period was over and the effect of the ER was fading. 

Put the generic Cat6 back in, and the magic is back. Did some repeated AB between the two and I would characterise the Cable Matters as rolling off the very top end, compressing and hardening the lower treble. The midrange spatiality which is the major benefit of the ER was lost thing and sound was not pin point precise anymore. The slight mid bass support this sounded blurred and muffled in comparison. The generic CAT 6 seems far more linear, open better highs and better lows and bass was extremely details and very low bass was better.

YMMV, different systems etc, but what is better for some can be worse for others.