gstew

The EtherREGEN thread for various cable and power experiences and experiments

Rate this topic

29 minutes ago, soares said:

I replaced my Gtek FMC with an optical module  and there was a notable increase of SQ. 
Cheers Jorge

Would you say that the increase justified the cost of the opticalModule?

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Std Mk2 > Shunyata Alpha USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC isothermal tube traps

56 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Would you say that the increase justified the cost of the opticalModule?

Ohh yes. Definitely:-)

Even with the additional cost of an extra LPS. 

AMP: Electrocompaniet ECI-6D; DAC: Oppo 205 (modded); ECI-6D

Streamer/endpoint: Zen MKIII/ultraRendu; Speakers: Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature; Cables: Speakers (Acoustic Revive) + RCA (au24sx) + RJ45 (Vodka Audioquest) + USB (Diamond Audioquest) + Power (Pangea's + Actinote's) + iR&oM (Neotech 16AWG OCC Silver + DC 4); Filters/reclockers: Jensen VRD- iFF + Pink Faun Isolator + Acoustic Revive RGC-24 + HMS “The Perfect Match” + isoRegen; Switch: etherRegen + opticalModule; Cisco 2960; LPS: Sboosters MKI & MKII (+ ultra) + HDplex 200 + LPS 1.2

An update on my earlier post on adding optical..

The highs continue to have a tendency to have too hard an edge.  I've ordered some optical attenuators as it could be that the signal is too strong given the relatively short length of fiber I'm using. A friend is using a much longer length of cable with is Startech products - and he doesn't hear this issue.  He's also not using an ER on the clean side, but I doubt that's the issue.

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Std Mk2 > Shunyata Alpha USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Wireworld Gold Startlight > OPTO DX > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC isothermal tube traps

5 hours ago, soares said:

Currently using:

Jensen VRD- iFF > Router (HDPLEX) > Pink Faun isolator > Ethernet copper > Zen MKIII > Ethernet  copper > Optical module (LPS 1.2) > fiber > Etherregen (Sbooster + ultra) > Ethernet copper >  Ultrarendu (Sbooster) > USB > Isoregen (LPS 1.2) > USB > (OPPO 205 modded).

Interesting setup.  By any chance did you try using the eR without the Optical module to determine how it improved the eR used alone?

I assume that a JS-2 LPS could power both optical module and eR.  That is an interesting prospect as I consider future improvements to the eR alone.   

Roon / Mola Mola Tambaqui / Kubala-Sosna XLR / Mola Mola Kaluga / KS biwire / B&W 803 D3

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

An update on my earlier post on adding optical..

The highs continue to have a tendency to have too hard an edge.  I've ordered some optical attenuators as it could be that the signal is too strong given the relatively short length of fiber I'm using. A friend is using a much longer length of cable with is Startech products - and he doesn't hear this issue.  He's also not using an ER on the clean side, but I doubt that's the issue.

I’m the friend Kennyb is referring to, and to test the equipment and the concept before crawling under my house to pull the CAT 6 copper and install the fiber I hooked everything up and put the fiber link in series with the existing 50’ of copper. Today, when Kennyb told me he was hearing some hardness with his fiber installation, I decide to hear what it sounds like with that 50’ of copper ethernet cable removed. I went ahead and laid out the fiber around the edge of the floor from office to the stereo in another room and bypassed the copper completely.

I heard a hardness that I hadn’t heard before, as well as a loss of some of the liquidity and relaxed transparency that I value in my system. Luckily, I had four -5 dB optical attenuators and inserted a pair at each end of the fiber. Voila! Hardness gone, transparency and liquidity return.

So, given the 80 km range of the specified FMCs, SFPs and fiber and the minuscule length of fiber in use, it seems a reasonable and prudent thing to knock down some of that optical power and avoid over-driving and saturating the optical receivers in the SFPs. It certainly sounds now like there is much less distortion.

Steve Z 

Teres turntable, VPI 12” Fatboy arm Dynavector XV1-S/Lyra Helikon mono, VPI SDS & dual-motor rim-drive; Innuos Zenith STD MKII & Roon, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum S250 amplifier, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Sonus Faber Aida speakers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma & Alpha power cords, Sigma interconnects and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps, GIK Acoustics room treatments . . . and lots and lots of music.

8 hours ago, PYP said:

Interesting setup.  By any chance did you try using the eR without the Optical module to determine how it improved the eR used alone?

I assume that a JS-2 LPS could power both optical module and eR.  That is an interesting prospect as I consider future improvements to the eR alone.   

Yes I did. The oM improves the already excellent eR SQ. Cheers Jorge

Streamer/endpoint: Zen MKIII/ultraRendu; Speakers: Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature; Cables: Speakers (Acoustic Revive) + RCA (au24sx) + RJ45 (Vodka Audioquest) + USB (Diamond Audioquest) + Power (Pangea's + Actinote's) + iR&oM (Neotech 16AWG OCC Silver + DC 4); Filters/reclockers: Jensen VRD- iFF + Pink Faun Isolator + Acoustic Revive RGC-24 + HMS “The Perfect Match” + isoRegen; Switch: etherRegen + opticalModule; Cisco 2960; LPS: Sboosters MKI & MKII (+ ultra) + HDplex 200 + LPS 1.2

20 hours ago, soares said:

Currently using:

Jensen VRD- iFF > Router (HDPLEX) > Pink Faun isolator > Ethernet copper > Zen MKIII > Ethernet  copper > Optical module (LPS 1.2) > fiber > Etherregen (Sbooster + ultra) > Ethernet copper >  Ultrarendu (Sbooster) > USB > Isoregen (LPS 1.2) > USB > (OPPO 205 modded).

Can you test without the isoregen? I have a similar setup, and although the ir improves my microrendu I find that my ultraRendu sounds better than mR+iR, and the ultrarendu on its own sounds better  than uR+iR. All powered by Lps1.2s. I am curious about your findings. I tested for instance with Sinner Man, from Four woman: the Nina Simone Philips Recordings. 

This came especially apparent after adding the etherRegen: before adding that I did not really notice this clearly. 

Edited by esmit
Adding etherRegen influence

Yes, I will do it whenever possible. 

I would like to buy a power supply for the EtherRegen. I heard a lot of good things from the Farad Super3, but also from the Teddy Pardo PSU. Has anyone tried the teddy here? Thanks and best regards from Berlin, Uwe

9 hours ago, uwe062 said:
I would like to buy a power supply for the EtherRegen. I heard a lot of good things from the Farad Super3

Hi Uwe,

The Farad 3 interests me as well, but the price tag so far made me refrain from buying it. Instead I am very pleased using a Zerozone LPS:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/ZEROZONE-Finished-65VA-Ultra-Low-Noise-linear-Power-supply-5V-9V-12V-15V-18V-etc-/322429316074

which is a lot cheaper and brings the ER forward too, surely (?) not as much as a Farad 3 would do.

However, one warning I have to make:

Using the Zerozone 12v LPS lead to massive hiccups,

(Hi Crom! #701) -->

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/page/29/#comments

so pleasant listening became impossible. Via the German "aktiv hoeren" forum I got contact to a helpful audiophyle who uses the identical type of LPS now knowing that at least for 2 years (that is the age of my LPS, his is nearly new) it is produced with a bug (at least the 12v version). He kindly soldered a capacitor to the board thus achieving a constant flow of 12v. After this LPS-modification the ER works as it should have done from the beginning,

which is brilliantly.

Best,

Uwe

@kennyb123

Thanks for this info. Ordered a pair and will see what they might bring (or take away) from my pair of opticalModules. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (HDPLEX 100)>LIVING ROOM:>Sonore opticalModule (Sonore Power Supply w/ SR Black fuse))>Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Uptone ) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 110>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics.

OFFICE:Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50's, Cisco 2960PD. BJC cabling for ethernet aside from the Ghent and Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs. 

17 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I just installed a pair of 10 db attenuators on the server side and a pair of 5 db attenuators on the other side. Treble is much improved though still a little hot on recordings that have that tendency anyway.  These are the attenuators:  https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07R5D72JL/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_MM5hEbVX60JNC

What is the difference between the LC/UPC attenuators you bought and the LC/APC attenuators below?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B1KH6DX/?coliid=I4B8CAK6ZS4FP&colid=1O2O3N2HH23ZK&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Good question:

https://www.belden.com/blog/data-centers/upc-or-apc

The biggest takeaway is don't mix APC and UPC connectors. If you have standard OM1/UPC (orange) cable, then use the UPC attenuators. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (HDPLEX 100)>LIVING ROOM:>Sonore opticalModule (Sonore Power Supply w/ SR Black fuse))>Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Uptone ) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 110>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics.

OFFICE:Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50's, Cisco 2960PD. BJC cabling for ethernet aside from the Ghent and Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs. 

I’ve got a 35 foot cat8 run from my Cisco switch to my EtherREGEN that I’d like to replace with a StarTech optical modules, optical cables, and the appropriate attenuators.  I would greatly appreciate it if you would please provide the parts numbers I need to replicate your build.

Thanks

Wayne

6 minutes ago, lwr said:

I’ve got a 35 foot cat8 run from my Cisco switch to my EtherREGEN that I’d like to replace with a StarTech optical modules, optical cables, and the appropriate attenuators.  I would greatly appreciate it if you would please provide the parts numbers I need to replicate your build.

Thanks

Wayne

Look at post 298 in this thread.

source:  intel nuc8i5 (roon rock) > intel nuc7i5 (ws2019, ao, roon bridge) > schiit yggdrasil (gen 5, analog 2)
headphone rig:  bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
two-channel rig:  luminous audio axiom ii xlr walker mod > parasound a21 > monitor audio gx100

2 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

What is the difference between the LC/UPC attenuators you bought and the LC/APC attenuators below?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B1KH6DX/?coliid=I4B8CAK6ZS4FP&colid=1O2O3N2HH23ZK&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I just had to Google APC vs UPC.  Interesting:  https://www.belden.com/blog/data-centers/upc-or-apc

This helps:  "UPC connectors are blue while APC connectors are green."

The fiber optic cable that I purchased has blue connectors.  I would think that UPC would be the correct choice of attenuator for these.

Begs the question though if APC would be the better choice with the Startech SFPs because they have a 1550nm wavelength.  Per the article above APC is often the choice above 1500.

19 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I just had to Google APC vs UPC.  Interesting:  https://www.belden.com/blog/data-centers/upc-or-apc

This helps:  "UPC connectors are blue while APC connectors are green."

The fiber optic cable that I purchased has blue connectors.  I would think that UPC would be the correct choice of attenuator for these.

Interesting.  Thanks!

Just now, auricgoldfinger said:

Interesting.  Thanks!

I'll continue to do some more digging into this and report back what I find.

3 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

@kennyb123

Thanks for this info. Ordered a pair and will see what they might bring (or take away) from my pair of opticalModules. 

I very much look forward to hearing your thoughts.  

I have a metal connector Ethernet cables in and out of the ER.  I’m not sure if this is cat 6a - it was over a year ago since I bought them.  I replaced the short B side with a standard cat 5 and it diminished the sound quite a bit.

Also I have been playing with various footers and weights on the ER.  I found too much weight (about a 3 lb copper weight) made the sound a bit too controlled.  I placed various Starsound copper washers on the case and found an amount I felt was the best combo of control and bloom. I find the whole process quite like a black art where little makes Technical sense.

I also floated my tube preamp on active insolation platform that took the system to the next level (but not the same magnitude as the ER added)

I played some tracks last night i hadn’t heard since getting the ER (and preamp isolation) and was shocked by all the new things I heard and the level of realism and naturalness.  Just wow.  

A53EF8DC-6D2C-4327-BD1F-C611A2ED32D3.jpeg