IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

How long has it taken for the Cable Matters CAT8 to burn in?  There were about 12 hours of constant music playback through it prior to my start of listening this morning.  At first it sounded surprisingly good.  Ultimately I found myself agitated by something it was doing - so I switched back to my regular cable, WW Starlight.  Whatever had been bothering me was gone and the sound quality overall was better.  I'll next try to let it run in somewhere further from my system so I don't have to sit through that again.  Just curious how long I should give it.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Ha! Reporting back after 80hours burn in

👍😁 I applied 2 more coats of nail polish on the end metal connectors and used my heat gun to burn it hard !

The cat 8 sounds great ! A tad better bass punch snd extension, Hifreq more air ; Sound stage deep and wide😁

Conclusion. Cat .8 is good but JSSG 360, earth linkage connection , Varnish the metal connectors, And most important Ferrite cores!

I hv 3 more Cat 8 in my inventory but will need up to 20 nos of 7-9 mm ferrite cores

Happy DIY Days ahead

Here is one more data-point-in-time of first impressions as I burn in a few cables while waiting for January ER delivery:

Cable Matters Cat8 1 meter from Cisco 2960 into Allo DigiOne Signature feeding Meridian active SE speakers has dynamics, definition, deep soundstage and satisfying bottom end -but can be a little sharp at times as described by BCRich earlier in this thread.

My usual cable in the same spot, Shunyata Venom, is not quite as lively as the CM but consistently listenable.

A 7-foot Tera Grand Cat7 premium (not flat) is less defined, much more forward and lacks bass in comparison.

A 3-foot "solid copper" CertiCable New Technology Cat8 is also somewhat forward, but pleasantly so, with a wide soundstage and slightly brittle top end at this point.

I will report again on these four once they have many more hours and ER replaces my Cisco Catalyst.

I know every system is different but do we have a consensus on this:

is it recommended to invest in a fancy cable to connect the ER to the streamer? 

I’m going to grab a few cheap cat5/cat6 cables on amazon to see what unshielded (untied) cables can do. 

For now I’m using cat7 cables with metal telegartner connectors both between router and ER and between ER and streamer. 

The router is the only device connected to the A side, so leakage should not be (too much of) an issue for me as stated in the user guide.

I tried a cheap Belkin cable with plastic connectors on the A side and it did some things better than the cat7 (viablue + telegartner) in terms of tones and liveliness. Still I ended keeping the cat7 on both sides: it is a little bit more restrained but also more controled with added clarity.

I’m considering the inakustik referenz (about $180) for the B side but I’m going to experiment with cheap cables first.

Hi Thmoas,

In my experience focusing too much on cables, whether its power, USB or ethernet cables has not ever proved to

be that revolutionary upgrade to hope for. In all fairness I have not tried the highest end of cables even If I have the top signature cables from Audiosensibility that I think have a sane ratio of price vs performance.

Anyway when it comes to ethernet cables my latest trial is the cable matters cat 8 that many uses here and that seems like a cable as good as my previous Ghent audio JSSG , Sablon , Supra Cat 8 and like you Viablue with Telegärtner for a lot less money. IMHO I believe spending money elsewhere in the hifichain is more important than cables. Perhaps a good hifirack and or feet is a wiser choice, and not forget amps and speakers...

There is a long thread going on at the Naim forum where some seems to like Designacable cat 5 or cat 6

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

Hi Magnus, 

thanks I’m going to check the cables you mention. I did hear differences between the various Ethernet cables I tried even if I never spent more than 60 euros for each. But I still have to assess the impact of ER on cables (or the opposite). 

Thomas 

Nice Thomas,

I am waiting for my ER to arrive in january. Will replace the AQVOX SE switch if all turns out like I hope😉

Look forward to hear your feedback of the ER + cables in due time.

Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amp with DAC, Sotm SMS-200 ultra/TX USB ultra, powered by an Uptone LPS-1 Audiostore Roonserver powered by a  HD plex PS. ASUS router AC 68 powered by a Teddy pardo PS, 

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang T1 with external crossover , Rega Planar 3 Lejonklou Slipsik phonostage

hi all,

I received the Farad Power Supply a couple of weeks ago. From the start, there was a noticeable improvement. @Superdad is right that you don't need fancy power supplies, as the EtherRegen itself already is a considerable improvement. But the Farad sure brings out more of the good stuff.

The Farad comes standard with a generic DC cable. I'm thinking of ordering a better version. Now I'm confused about what I've read. In the post from @JohnSwenson about DC cables, he recommends thick wires, star quad configuration, e.g. the Ghent Canare 4s6.

However, I remember Alex mentioning he thinks the Gotham GAC4/1 is a good option. which is also star quad, but using a lot of tiny 38AWG conductors to make only 22AWG. And if I look at the Farad cables, their best cable (level 2) is also made of thinner wires run in parallel, which seems to run counter to John's advice?

So my question, in this setup (farad to etherregen) what would be the better option out of these three; the higher gauge Canare 4s6 JSSG360, the Gotham GAC4/1 UltraPro JSSG360 or Farad's own option using lots of thin, tin plated copper wire?

3 hours ago, sandervdp said:

So my question, in this setup (farad to etherregen) what would be the better option out of these three; the higher gauge Canare 4s6 JSSG360, the Gotham GAC4/1 UltraPro JSSG360 or Farad's own option using lots of thin, tin plated copper wire?

Audio Sensibility Signature Silver > Farad Level 2 > the other two options you mention.  Big delta between AS Signature Silver and Farad Level 2.

https://audiosensibility.com/blog/sotm-audio/#!/Signature-Silver-DC-Cable/p/102469015

From my limited experience ( some Ghent and DC-4), I also recommend the signature silver cable. Thank you again Brian for your advice... 

Cheers Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

3 hours ago, Nicoben45 said:

You may use some Duelund dca 16 or 20 oiled tin copper wires, simple and good sounding choice.

I never have had Dueland-based power cables, but I use Dueland-based IC’s and USB cables.  To my ears, they’re incredible bang for a pretty low-cost buck in that application.  If someone’s making Duelund DC cables, I would love to try one.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

10 hours ago, sandervdp said:

hi all,

I received the Farad Power Supply a couple of weeks ago. From the start, there was a noticeable improvement. @Superdad is right that you don't need fancy power supplies, as the EtherRegen itself already is a considerable improvement. But the Farad sure brings out more of the good stuff.

I am poised to get another Farad for the ER. How would you describe the differences  to the stock supply? And which voltage did you go with? I can’t decide between the 7v or 9v.

Also re cables, I have 2 Gotham’s unused as they add midrange richness but also crunchy highs which I couldn’t live with. The Canare 4S6 was more neutral but light on bass and underwhelming. The best low cost cable for me is the Canare 4S8, which is a higher gauge (thicker) version of the 4S6. No negatives. But I haven’t tried the Audio Sensibility Silver...

16 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

I am poised to get another Farad for the ER. How would you describe the differences  to the stock supply? And which voltage did you go with? I can’t decide between the 7v or 9v.

Any reason why you don’t mention 12v as a third option?

On 11/18/2019 at 9:53 PM, MarkS said:

I’m thinking really hard about the Musec Ref 10 clock and look forward to hearing from anyone with one connected to the ER. 

I have just tried this, and find myself pleasantly surprised by the result, see link:

Has anyone else tried similar?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

For those of you running with external clocking, have you found that clock cables make a difference?  If so, which ones actually do enhance the performance and SQ of the clock?

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

1 hour ago, stevebythebay said:

For those of you running with external clocking, have you found that clock cables make a difference?  If so, which ones actually do enhance the performance and SQ of the clock?

There is discussion of different cables in the REF 10 thread: 

I use the Habst Digital BNC, which I prefer to the SOtM dCBL-BNC and the generic cables from the engineering supply houses.  In the Mutec thread, people have done comparisons of a few generic cables.

EDIT:  At the moment, I am using a Blaxius^2 to re-clock my ER.

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

In the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme thread on WBF, Emile from Taiko had recommended some fiber products that were found to work well the Extreme server.  A friend had installed these over the weekend, and reported being delighted with the results.  He doesn't yet have an ER, so I wasn't sure how well his results would transfer over to my situation.  Nonetheless, I took the plunge and ordered two Startech SFPs, a Startech FMC, and a run of fiber.  This would replace a 7m run of Wireworld Chroma from wall to the ER.

Right out of the box, there were very obvious improvements in clarity and ease.  Quantity of bass increased too - and maybe a slight hard edge was added.  In terms of the hard edge, hopefully some burn-in helps reduce that.  It should be noted that I'm using the stock SMPS with the StarTech FMC so that's less ideal, but it's plugged into a different circuit from the rest of my audio system.  On the plus side, the improved clarity has been taking my breath away.

The obvious takeaway for me here is that the cabling that feeds the ER can still matter.   I will be sticking with the fiber for the time being but plan to see what kind of improvement might come from using the Sonore opticalModule in place of the Startech FMC.  

These are the parts I used:

SFP:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747WZ8LZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fiber: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099S4WYE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FMC:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011KH1O1U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Note:  I believe Emile might have actually recommended the "chassis mount" FMC variant that follows.  This wasn't immediately available at Amazon so I chose the "no chassis" variant.  I'm not sure how much this matters.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FWJMTXU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hat tip to @zettelsm for taking the lead on this.  

I replaced my Gtek FMC with an optical module  and there was a notable increase of SQ. 
Cheers Jorge

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Currently using:

Jensen VRD- iFF > Router (HDPLEX) > Pink Faun isolator > Ethernet copper > Zen MKIII > Ethernet  copper > Optical module (LPS 1.2) > fiber > Etherregen (Sbooster + ultra) > Ethernet copper >  Ultrarendu (Sbooster) > USB > Isoregen (LPS 1.2) > USB > (OPPO 205 modded).