IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

The components that generate heat in the ER have no contact with the case, via heat transfer pads or something. So between the heat generating components, and most of them have heatsinks on top of them, is air. Air does not conduct heat very well so if you cool the ER with heatsink imo you are just cooling the case, not the components on the pcb. 
If you want to cool the inside of the ER you have let out the “hot” air, so dril holes so cooler air can get in and hot air out. Or you can unscrew the front and screw it back with washers in between the front and the case. Both sides maybe.

But what is hot? My ER case is 40C. The oscillator inside the ER likes a “hot” stable temperature. Maybe the specs of the oscillator gives a ideal temperature.

Wasn’t there a comment from Alex that the case acts as a heatsink? 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

Wasn’t there a comment from Alex that the case acts as a heatsink? 

It’s in the manual and it was repeated elsewhere as well.

The manual bit:

Locating the EtherREGEN:
During use, it is normal for the case of the EtherREGEN to become somewhat hot. 48~52C (118~126F), depending on room air temperature is to be expected. Do not be concerned about the heat. Even when hot, all parts are operating at less than half their thermal ratings. The case is the heat-sink. Please locate the EtherREGEN on a shelf where air can flow under and around it. If the heat of the case bothers you, standing it on edge will permit more airflow and will lower the case temperature by a few degrees. Do not stack other devices under or on top of the EtherREGEN.

51 minutes ago, Dutch said:

It’s in the manual and it was repeated elsewhere as well.

The manual bit:

Locating the EtherREGEN:
During use, it is normal for the case of the EtherREGEN to become somewhat hot. 48~52C (118~126F), depending on room air temperature is to be expected. Do not be concerned about the heat. Even when hot, all parts are operating at less than half their thermal ratings. The case is the heat-sink. Please locate the EtherREGEN on a shelf where air can flow under and around it. If the heat of the case bothers you, standing it on edge will permit more airflow and will lower the case temperature by a few degrees. Do not stack other devices under or on top of the EtherREGEN.

Hi Dutch, you have opened up your ER for s.w. update right? Did you see any heat transferring pads between the casing and any components? It could be a soft silicone type of material.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

5 hours ago, emailists said:

I can try try some alternative weights when I can find an appropriate one around the house.

How about putting something between the ER and the weight (i.e. a thick carton, plastic, rubber, etc.)? This way the weight would not act as a heatsink.

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

While using an old sBooster MKI didn’t change the SQ of my system, the same sBooster with a new ultra filter increased the eR SQ. 

Not sure about the results from a new MKII. I would say yes😆

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

On 12/29/2019 at 5:20 PM, JohnSwenson said:

Several people have stated that the ER driven by a 2960 sounds better than the ER directly into a router.

Although at least a couple of people, of whom I'm one, have experienced and stated the reverse: In my system I prefer the sound with the ER fed directly by the router, rather than a Cisco 2960 between the router and ER. I speculated, but don't know, that this might be due to the Cisco's internal SMPS kicking back noise into the rest of the system.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just a little feedback about cablematters ethernet cables. I put 2 of them for the wifi leg of my system (separated normally from my audio streaming system which is ethernet not wifi).

I realized a little experience using exceptionnaly wifi 5ghz from my ubiquity unify AC Pro Access Point to stream audio (instead of streaming by ethernet). The AP is PoE and needs 2 ethernet cables one from the second Cisco switch (connected to main router on a specific separate from audio LAN)) and one to antenna. Big surprise was the vast improvment in SQ over standard no name ethernet cables. Quality may be better than ethernet even with ER but still burnin... and not yet optimized (PSU and its fuse, vibration control)

Thanks @Imitche for this recommendation.

12 hours ago, Jud said:

Although at least a couple of people, of whom I'm one, have experienced and stated the reverse: In my system I prefer the sound with the ER fed directly by the router, rather than a Cisco 2960 between the router and ER. I speculated, but don't know, that this might be due to the Cisco's internal SMPS kicking back noise into the rest of the system.

The same here Jud! Need to try a second Cisco 😄

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

8 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

There you go, far more than you ever wanted to know about thermal flow and electronics.

Agreed. Far more than I ever wanted to know about thermal flow!

But thanks all the same John and happy new year to you. 

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

16 hours ago, Jud said:

Don’t have my ER yet, ordered 5 of these to substitute for AQ Vodka & Diamond.

They will replace Vodka’s that go from Verizon ONT to Verizon Router and from Verizon Router to Eero Pro. The Diamond’s go from Pakedge Switch to Sonore Optical Module and from a Cisco Switch to a Mac Mini that runs HQ Player. I have another Mac Mini that I run Roon on, I missed that one. Will have to do a few more. I won’t have my ER until Feb. The question is do I hang on to the AQ cables to do a comparison?

All devices pertaining to my main audio system are now covered...

16 hours ago, Jud said:

Jud,

Are you going to give these a try?

I'm happy with the Cable Matters Cat 8 and done experimenting with cables for now.  With the new Cat 8 and a bunch of new post Roon 1.7 Audiolinux tweaks SQ is the best ever here.

Nevertheless, I am always interested in the experience of others.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

35 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Jud,

Are you going to give these a try?

I'm happy with the Cable Matters Cat 8 and done experimenting with cables for now.  With the new Cat 8 and a bunch of new post Roon 1.7 Audiolinux tweaks SQ is the best ever here.

Nevertheless, I am always interested in the experience of others.

Mayyybeee, at some point in the future. I liked their Cat 6a, and these are not expensive. So let's see what @BCRich and anyone else who decides to try them might think.

But like you, at this point I'm happy. I posted the link for anyone else who might be curious.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Mayyybeee, at some point in the future. I liked their Cat 6a, and these are not expensive. So let's see what @BCRich and anyone else who decides to try them might think.

But like you, at this point I'm happy. I posted the link for anyone else who might be curious.

It still amazes me that cables can make such a big difference, especially on the digital side.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

13 minutes ago, lmitche said:

It still amazes me that cables can make such a big difference, especially on the digital side.

+10000

Maddening to have something this audible without even a working physical theory (cable to optimized NUC to optimized TX Ultra for USB regeneration to DAC...that's a lot of optimization layers between the cable and my ears). Clearly the enhanced shielding of the CAT8 cables is making a difference.  Can the antenna effect to the streamer end point be that significant?

With a second Cable Matters CAT8 on hand, I just had to experiment.  I clipped the shield on one end of the cable, thinking I would prefer the clipped end on the NUC (I power my NUC with a battery for mains isolation).  Alas, another hypothesis shot down.  I preferred the clipped shield end on the ER side (at least so far)

All this reminds me of the random walk search a bunch of folks did with Lush^2 shield configurations.  Those with the Phasure ET^2 are in a much better position to investigate different shield configurations to suss out what may be going on.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

15 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

I just had to experiment.

How did the clipped shield on one end sound compared to not clipping the shield?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

5 minutes ago, rickca said:

How did the clipped shield on one end sound compared to not clipping the shield?

Different (subtle) but I can't say (yet) if I'm hearing more real detail or more RF sparkle.  Taking one for the team with marathon listening sessions ("Sorry honey, I need to listen to music for 12 hours to audition this hacked up ethernet cable" ; ) 

Kidding aside, it all sounds absolutely lovely, so motivation for serious A/B critical listening is low, while motivation to binge listen to a bunch of Todd Garfinkle's amazing recordings is quite high (really enjoying "Mudejar" by Begona Olavide as I type this)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1. I am in the same situation. I am eagerly waiting for my Jan ER to be delivered. So looking over my ethernet cabling setup to prepare.

2. At present I use brand-less Cat 6 STP with no earthing and fitted with plastic end connectors. These have been hacked... Triple JSSG treatment with earth wire leading to one earth pin star ground connection. Each Cat 6 cable has at least 2 Ferrite cores maybe even more. 

3. The connection is from ISP modem to an ASUS 86 modem to a Netgear GS105 then to the SOTM Ultra Neo and Hqplayer Server PC. 

4. So let's try and switch with the Cat 8 cables which I have been using as POE cables. I pinched my wife's nail polish and gave the metal connectors at each end 4 coats over 2 evenings. (proper curing and hardening before the next coat) Tried it between the ASUS and the Netgear!

5. WHOA! What happened to the SQ - FLAT and complete collapse of the Sound stage!

That was on a weekday quick test. So out they came.

6. This weekend, I gave 1 Cat 8 cable the triple JSSG treatment with 5 Ferrite cores. Fitted it between the ASUS 86 and the Netgear GS105 - A quick test .... HMHM??? SQ definitely better than untreated but a quick swop back to the brandless hacked Cat 6 showed how bad the Cat 8 sounded.

7. I will burn in the signal connectors through a LAN connection and run Youtube at full blast before further comparision. I figure that maybe only the DC wires have been burnt in and the signal wires still virgin??? 

8. My theory is that I may have to rip out at least the metal connector on 1 end for the Cat 8 cable to sound good. Just painful to spoil such a lovely CAT 8 cable.

Okay, I am a little lost now.  I am new to the ethernet cable shuffle and, in anticipation of the arrival of my ER, I bought one of the Cable Matters CAT8's from Amazon, to replace a Blue Jean CAT6A between the wall and a Sonore Optical Module.  It arrived next day and I noticed that it had metal RJ45 make ends rather than the plastic that is on every other ethernet cable I ever have seen. 

I recall vaguely something in the Sonore forum pages that were to the effect of "never use metal RJ45 connectors in an audio setup." I couldn't find relevant posts but decided that enough of you are using Rendus of one sort or another that any bad news about metal would appear here in the discussion of these CAT8's.

I went ahead and plugged in the new cable.  It certainly worked as a signal cable without exploding any of my equipment. I also listened to it for a short while.  Sounds pretty much the same as before thus far, which is pretty good, so I am not complaining, especially considering the price of the experiment. 

I continue to be concerned, though, that the metal connectors might destroy equipment or SQ in some way. The post above this one refers to coating the ends with nail polish.  Is this to address a particular issue and, if it is, do I need to get an untreated cable with metal ends out of the system? 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s