IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

I’m thinking really hard about the Musec Ref 10 clock and look forward to hearing from anyone with one connected to the ER. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:51 PM, gstew said:

That was how I felt for the first 3 or so days. BUT last night I put in my target power setup for the ER... 2 LPS-1.2's set to 12V with each feeding 1/2 of an MPAudio.net dual-section 3||LT3045 regulator board with both halves set to 10V (using .1% resistors to keep them REALLY closely mattched) with the outputs tied together to parallel the LPS-1.2 outputs. This is a setup I have used with much success to power sources such as RPi's, Allo's USBBridge SIgnature, and my SDTrans384 SD Card Player. Compared to a good 2A-3A linear supply 1 LPS-1.2 seemed to have lessened dynamics although it clearly had quieter backgrounds and more clarity. Paralleling 2 this way brought the dynamics into parity with the AC-connected supply with no negative impacts.

Using this setup replacing either the stock SMPS OR a good (but not great) linear supply turned my ER into a dynamics and emotive expression MONSTER!!!!

AND kept all the subtleties and increased bass definition and separation between instruments / voices and greater harmonic density and etc etc etc... BUT turned them all up to 20!

Longer report in the next few days. 

I didn't think I could be this happy with a single upgrade!

Edit... and as Dutch said below, the DC-DC converter John/Alex uses does not behave the same as a linear regulator. It will run about the same temp or even lower with a higher voltage input. AND the voltage to the downstream linear regulators will always be the same

As far as the sonics with a different supply, see above!

Greg in Mississippi

I am sorry for being thick, but I do not understand this setup.  Can you please explain?  How can you have 2 LPS-1.2's powering the ER?  The ER can only accept one power input cable.  Really sorry I am not following this, but I am very interested.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

• 1 month later...

Would someone please post a photo of exactly where and how these attenuators go?  

In case it matters, I’m running copper Ethernet out from a switch into an Optical Module, then fiber from the OM out to the EtherRegen then copper Ethernet out from the EtherRegen into the dac. 

I bought two pairs of 10db and 7db attenuators. 

- Mark

Thanks so much to all who provided photos, tips, instructions, etc.  I haven't had a chance to install the attenuators yet, but I had ordered two pairs or 10 and 7 db ones by happenstance assuming I may break them, and they were inexpensive.  So I will try the "one on each end" configuration suggested above.

- Mark

One other question that will annoy and/or frustrate many:  has anyone found a difference in SQ between different brands of the SFP's that slide into the OpticalModule and/or the EtherRegen?

I am using orange colored fiber that was supplied by Small Green Computer when I bought two of the OpticalModules.  I think I paid $20 for it.

- Mark

I didn't get a chance to try the 10db attenuators on each end this weekend, but I will very soon.

Stupid question in advance.  Do the attentions just lower gain or volume by 10db?  If so, then aren’t the attenuators just volume knobs.  If not, then what do attenuators do?

- Mark