IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

• 4 weeks later...

I know every system is different but do we have a consensus on this:

is it recommended to invest in a fancy cable to connect the ER to the streamer? 

I’m going to grab a few cheap cat5/cat6 cables on amazon to see what unshielded (untied) cables can do. 

For now I’m using cat7 cables with metal telegartner connectors both between router and ER and between ER and streamer. 

The router is the only device connected to the A side, so leakage should not be (too much of) an issue for me as stated in the user guide.

I tried a cheap Belkin cable with plastic connectors on the A side and it did some things better than the cat7 (viablue + telegartner) in terms of tones and liveliness. Still I ended keeping the cat7 on both sides: it is a little bit more restrained but also more controled with added clarity.

I’m considering the inakustik referenz (about $180) for the B side but I’m going to experiment with cheap cables first.

Hi Magnus, 

thanks I’m going to check the cables you mention. I did hear differences between the various Ethernet cables I tried even if I never spent more than 60 euros for each. But I still have to assess the impact of ER on cables (or the opposite). 

Thomas 

• 4 weeks later...