IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear, probably due to a lack of technical knowledge and English being a foreign language to me. I mentioned the grounding of ER just to show that the “missing of ground” couldn’t explain the relatively bad results of the sBooster. I took the grounding off a minute ago or so, because (I know) it isn’t necessary with the supplied PS. I hope that makes my point clear. If not, forget about it 🥵

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

@Lucie, could you (just for reference and to satisfy my curiosity :)) mention the type of SBooster you’ve used? Was it the latest BOTW P&P Eco MKII or an earlier version?

The model is: BOTW P&P ECO 12-13.2V. No extra SBooster Ultra connected. I think it’s not the last model. I bought it new about 2 years ago.

image.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some findings about upstream changes:

My modem/router (made mandatory by my internet provider Ziggo, here in The Netherlands, a Compal CH7465LG) never seemed a very audiophile part in the chain. In forums and tests I’ve read a lot of times that the modem doesn’t play a roll in sound quality. That’s why I never experimented with it. It only has an iFi iPurifier2 after its SMPS, since a year or so. I can’t remember having heard any effect on the sound.

Because my sBooster LPS on ER did not give a good result (slightly less resolution), I had plans to sell it. But then I came up with the (at that moment seemingly silly) idea of trying it on the Compal. Immediately audible result in resolution! My wife heard it right away when she came into the room. Was it better? Unlike my wife, I like higher resolution in general, but I also found the high tones a bit sharp at the edges (test: Chet Baker, “Chet”: Alone together, both the trumpet and the saxophone). No matter the judgement, what is very clear is that modem (so "upstream") does have an effect in my system. To me that is, or rather was surprising.

Having determined this, I bought a decent cable from the “wall” to the Compal: I went from a 1.99 euros standard cable provided by Ziggo to a better, but still very cheap, Clicktronic f-connector coax cable (13.99 euros, just the most expensive Ziggo-approved cable I could find). The sharpness disappeared, immediately audible, the soundstage even widened a bit more. These may be fairly unusual findings, but I would recommend and encourage anyone to experiment upstream in the chain. Happy listening!

Streaming only: Tidal and Qobuz

Short system configuration (leaving out the power regenerators and power supplies):

Compal>Supra cat 7>into ER>

Roon Nucleus>AQ Vodka>into ER

ER out>AQ Vodka>Naim NDX2>Chord reference RCA>Accuphase E-600>AQ Rocket 88>Audio Physic Avanti

24 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Hi Lucie, I am in the Netherlands and on Ziggo too. My wifi-modem-router is a Cisco EPC 3928 with a 15V/2.0A SMPS. May be I should try replacing its SMPS with a LPS too and see what it brings to the table. A question though: did you try other Ethernet cables besides the Supra cat 7? I ask because the shielding (via the metal connector housings) could lead to noise distribution to the ER.

I would certainly give a good LPS a try.

I don’t technically understand the noise issue from modem/router to ER, but I trust my ears, so I have just connected a cat 5e cable with plastic connectors. It’s the only cable I had lying around, 15 m long. After some back and fourth: it’s different from Supra. To put it in words: more definition. Have to do more listening to define the changes better and to determine if I like it in the long run. Can the difference be explained from the metal vs plastic connectors or from the cable? Supra should not be too bad, the other cable is a cheap data cable...

Any recommendations for an ethernet cable with plastic connectors? The 15m won’t stay on; 3m are enough.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Whether the cable shielding is tied to the connectors (usually the case with Cat 7, Cat 8, and other shielded cables with metal connectors) doesn’t matter on the “downstream”/output side of the ER, as long as there is only one downstream/output cable.

On the “upstream”/input side, it is best not to have a cable with shielding tied to the connectors.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I can use some clarification.

After the shielding discussion I changed my Supra cat 7 cable with metal connectors (upstream) for a cheap cat 5e with plastic connectors. After these last couple of days I can safely conclude that the cat 5e is better. Small difference, but clear in good recordings. Slight increase in transparency. Due to the connectors, or to the cable?

Now I discovered that the connectors of my modem/router are all plastic (see photo). Am I right then, that the metal connectors as such can’t have a negative effect and that the difference in sound quality should be attributed to the cable?

40332A7F-6CC2-46A6-BE01-234DC0ACAD87.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

1. Yes, from direct experience, ethernet cables do make a difference.

3. (That's the first question there is to answer) Change both cables. From router to ER has less effect, than from ER to Streamer/dac.

2. From router to ER you should stay away from metal connectors connected to the shield. Bluejeans is good. I find it better than Supra cat 7+ (in my system). Bluejeans cat 6a has plastic connectors. You could look at Ghent as well.

From ER to streamer/dac: consider a good cable. Invest the money you saved by using the cheap Bluejeans in the last cable in the stream. Audioquest Vodka is very good. Audioquest, Chord, and Shunyata make cables which are reviewed very well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thats good news Ponkbutler. Congrats!

Apart from the previous question, I’m curious to know: are you powering both ERs from the same LPS? From earlier comments I would expect that defeats the moat. But my technical knowledge is limited.
Can anybody comment on that? Thx in advance.