IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

@Ricardo007 I use this from Corning they are considered to be really good quality. 

20191204_090731.jpg.ecf12f355bff73a8dbccd80876f37936.jpg

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
30 minutes ago, Ricardo007 said:

The higher the better since less current in ER

The power will be the same as P=U*I and it draws almost the same at 7 and 12V think it was around 7-7.2W no matter what voltage I used and the temperatur was that same regardless of voltage. 

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

Can these cables be used for inwall? Then you need to remove the rj45 termination plugs and do correct connection of sshield to wall plugs that may be tricky? What would be your recommendation?

I often buy bulk cable and use Telegärtner contacts they dont need any special tools. 

_20191207_110927.thumb.JPG.f1d560c68f34d05e79faa759db6a63fb.JPG

The instruction shows many types of cables how to connect the shield. 

_20191207_110844.thumb.JPG.c8113c08fbf18a2db311c1addedf6ff1.JPG

Main system

Second system
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 5:53 AM, emailists said:

Ocateviars, thanks for measuring the temp of the case.  I found the case to be cooler to the touch with the weight on, but have no capacity to measure it.  I wasn’t attempting to change the temp, just trying what a few others noted and found the sonic benefit.  

I did some changes in the vents of my cabinet so the fan can circulate the air better and now my eR runs around 37-38C as a reference my NUC i5BNH with Roon ROCK in a Akasa case runs at 34-35C so I am happy with my changes :)

Regarding LAN cables I use the old version of Ghent cables betwen ISP fiber, router and between eR and NUC (I run fiber between router and eR). From eR to my dCS Network Bridge I use a CAT7A cable with Telegärtners new MFP 8.1 connectors, sheild only connected at the DCS side.

1.JPG.a3862ce3769f753958a255a93aa6ce2a.JPG

2.JPG.3b163e572b59f95b36b62add4b99392e.JPG

4.JPG.3bd78175fb14af387ea64e8f4895f059.JPG

5.JPG.dc892608814e9e3cf3c6279d74bc0dfd.JPG

6.JPG.c04af2d2d2b46216f44a34ba25d404fa.JPG

Main system

Second system
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

but I am very concerned about overheating the FMC's in my optical Signature Rendu SE and the opticalModule that feeds my ultraRendu. 

What type of SFP modules do you use?

I use LX modules that have a range up to 10km with single-mode fiber and I asked FS.com if there were any risk of using them with a short fibercable but that was no problem with the model I bought.

Main system

Second system
37 minutes ago, Jud said:

Monoprice Slimrun Cat 6a and Belden Cat 6a from Blue Jeans Cable both have plastic connectors as I recall.

Yes if they are CAT6A UTP unshielded but if they are CAT6A FTP they are shielded. CAT6A can be both unshielded or shielded in some way.

You have many different types CAT cable besides the category.

U/UTP (no sheild at all)

F/UTP (sheild around all pair)

U/FTP (sheild around each pair)

S/FTP (sheild around each pair and sheild around all pairs)

The letters describe how the cable is sheilded. First letter is all four pairs and the following three letters is around each pair.

The cable I use is a CAT7A S/FTP.

Main system

Second system
26 minutes ago, magnuska said:

Hi Jud

What do you think of this CAT 8 from Ghent? Shield tied or floating?

http://www.ghentaudio.com/pc/et12.html

Regards Magnus

All Ghent LAN cables have the shield floating.

Main system

Second system
15 minutes ago, Jud said:

Hi Magnus - The product page you linked says S/FTP, so according to the two very helpful (thanks!) posts I have quoted above yours, the shields would be tied,

Ghent uses S/FTP cable but over the cable he puts another shield and connect the shields at the ends so it has whats called a JSSG 360 shield but it is not connected in the metall connectors at any end. 

Just because the cable is a S/FTP for example does not mean that the shield has to be connected in the connectors even if the standard says it should be. 

I own some of the original ET11 Ghent cables and asked him about his new ET12 how they are made. I then decided to build my own and not buy the new ET12.

Main system

Second system
5 minutes ago, Jud said:

Right, the outer JSSG360 shield isn’t connected, but without any reason to doubt I assume the inner Cat8 cable does have shields connected to the metal clad terminations.

No the inner shield and the outer sheild is connected togheter but not connected to the plug.

This is from Ghent him self.

"Regarding new CAT8 ethernet cable in JSSG360, certainly no shielding connected to metal plugs. 
JSSG or JSSG360 are in the same way, no shielding connected to metal plug.

Thanks,
Ghent"
Main system

Second system
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

John reported about the Baaske isolator, a passive filter.

I would not call Baaske a filter it is just a galvanic isolator to prevent harmfull (by this I dont mean harmfull to music but people) voltages/currents to go across it, if it was designed as a filter to reduce noise it would need more coils and ferrits. I dont see the point adding something like this after a eR.

1462047207_baaske-network-isolator-med-mi-1005-network-isolator-2x-rj45-en5.thumb.jpg.f6f985034592046ebcb4afd31491fc32.jpg

Main system

Second system
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, audio.bill said:

so I'm curious to learn how you use the JS-2 to power a Nucleus since it appears to have a maximum voltage setting of 12V.

Nucleus is based on a regular Intel NUC and they support 12-19V on the DC barrel so no problem driving a Nucleus on 12V.

I measured my NUC7i5BNH it has M.2 SSD for ROCK OS and second SSD for music.

This is with regular 44.1/16 no DSP

19Vdc average 0.57A (10.83W) and peak 1.5A
15Vdc average 0.69A (10.35W) and peak 2.1A
12Vdc average 0.81A (9.72W) and peak 2.8A

Average is during play to Roon endpoint. Peak was during start up (might be higher than this as my instrument might not be fast enough.

I have not measured amp usage during a scan for example but if all cores are being used during a library scan I suppose we can see constant use high as peak is in my test.

Main system

Second system
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, sahmen said:

I'd also like to know if I'll need to ground it (the ER)if I were to power it with a Paul Hynes SR4T LPS unit.

All Paul Hynes PSU are floating designs so if you want to ground the eR you need to do it via the groundscrew when powered with a floating PSU.

The grounding affects how the filtering between the A-side ports works.

This is from the manual.

Please keep in mind that all of the above regarding grounding concerns only the blocking of leakage from one RJ45 jack on the ‘A’ side to another RJ45 jack also on the 'A' side. Regardless of grounding, zero AC leakage from upstream Ethernet devices ever gets past the full active digital isolation and reclocking ADIMto the EtherREGEN’s 'B'-side port.

Main system

Second system
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ready4Audio said:

If I get a JS-2, as I understand it, I cannot use both rails for EtherRen and A side Asus Modem as that would violate the “moat” correct? Is there a work around?

You will not violate the isolation when you power the etherREGEN and a modem on the A-side with a JS-2.

If you where to power the etherREGEN and a component on the B-side then you would defeat the purpose of the isolation as JS-2 have a shared -0V for the two outputs.

Main system

Second system
12 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

I'm definitely confused on which way to go here.  Buying specifically for the ER. 

Why not get a Paul Hynes SR4T-12 then you can switch between 7,9,12V and see what is best.

Main system

Second system
2 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Paul Hynes is a lovely chap but he lives on South Uist (one of the Hebrides off the coast of Scotland) and is a one-man band. His order lead time can be lengthy, but always worth the wait.

Paul is not alone anymore (think he has one employee) and SR4T are batch built each month so the wait is not that long right now.

Main system

Second system
  • 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

Is this extra 1 1/2 amp an issue at all?

You could mate it with a PSU that could deliver much more amps. The amps stated by Uptone is what it draws at different voltages but you always want some headroom. 

Main system

Second system
  • 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

So SFP port IS on A-Side physically AND electrically as well.

Yes. The power in is on the A-side so to say and powers the stuff inside that is connected to the 4 RJ45 and SFP port then there is a DC-DC converter with low capacitance that supplyes the B-side with power so the B-side is isolated both on the data and power from the 5 connections on the A-side.

Main system

Second system
  • 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

However everyone else seem to be using a longer fibre cable than I am, usually 5-10m. But does this really matter for devices that are designed to go 20km? What is a couple of meters?

This is a spec on a single mode fiber.

Maximum Attenuation: <0.35dB/km (1310nm)

So 10m will give 0,0035dB attenuation and that is nothing, so adding a bunch of cable and think you atteunate the signal that is not going to work.

Main system

Second system

This might be a bit system depending also where the fiber is in the mix.

In my system the fiber just have high activity when I start playback on a song in Qobuz , when Roon has buffered it the activity on the fiber ports are really low (easy to monitor in the EdgeRouter). 

So during playback the stream in my system goes from NUC to eR A-side to B-side and then to my dcs Network bridge and only over copper cables.

After a couple of seconds when I start a new song I can disconnect the SFP in my eR and the song will still finish.

Main system

Second system