gstew

The EtherREGEN thread for various cable and power experiences and experiments

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, thotdoc said:

Are there better optical cages and optical interconnects than those sent with the Optical Module (OM)? 

I've taken the cage and wires from my OM and put them into the ER.

The interconnects are way too long and messy at the length they are sent. Will shorter or shorter/better help?

Thank you

There is whole thread on all things optical at:

I use these Finisar SFP's. Reportedly, Finisar makes SFP's for lots of the other suppliers like Intel and Cisco. Generally, ebay is a good source for buying SFP's.

As for cables, they are cheap compared to Ethernet cables. I get mine from Fibertronics. Fiber

Eric

Ubuntu Studio Linux box (i7-9700, 8 cores, 16GB RAM, Roon, HQP) > fiber optic > MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+ > fiber optic > opticalRendu (HQP NAA) > Holo Cyan (DSD version) > Goldpoint passive preamp > Nord One UP NC500MB mono blocks > Klipsch La Scala

22 minutes ago, lpost said:

Anyone know of a reasonably priced/cheap PCIe card with a single open SFP that Archlinux has a driver included?  A model that is a few years old will do fine.  

I use an Intel X520-DA1 NIC in my Ubuntu Studio music servers. Never had an issue with drivers. Lots of these available on ebay.

Eric

Ubuntu Studio Linux box (i7-9700, 8 cores, 16GB RAM, Roon, HQP) > fiber optic > MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+ > fiber optic > opticalRendu (HQP NAA) > Holo Cyan (DSD version) > Goldpoint passive preamp > Nord One UP NC500MB mono blocks > Klipsch La Scala