IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

On 11/20/2019 at 11:42 PM, Jud said:

A couple of thoughts regarding power supplies:

- As I recall, Alex did not say the ER was immune to power supply changes, he said you’d have a tough time beating the included supply at something close to the price. Remember the included supply has the ground shunt for leakage current.

- Therefore, if you want to experiment with power supplies, my thinking is it’s best to do so with something that isn’t worse in terms of leakage current.

- @gstew has a setup he believes substantially improves on the included power supply, and it uses supplies that don’t have leakage current. But if I am estimating correctly, that setup is close to or over $1000. So I’d say that qualifies as something not very close in price to the included supply. 🙂

Do most power supplies show what their current leakage is?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a couple posts in which people discussed attaching a heat sink to the top of the ER.  Have others tried this and, if so, has it resulted in a noticeable drop in temperature?  I don't see the harm in doing this and likely will unless it is deemed to be a poor move.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

6 hours ago, Johnnydev said:

why, if it’s not necessary ?

How you know it isn’t necessary?