IGNORED

Node 2i upgrade: Lumin or Auralic?

The main difference between the two is the software design and some like one better than the other.  I started out with the Aries Mini years ago so when I bought the Lumin I just had to adapt to the different way of doing things but it wasn't a big deal.  Even now I have the G1 in one system and the Teac NT-505 (which is based on the Lumin architecture and runs on Lumin software) in a second system.  Now that I have had both a while I move between the two without thinking anything about it.  And though they can't call it MQA as they are no longer a member of the consortium the Aries does do software based MQA that was developed when they were one of the original members.  It works regardless of the DAC used.  So my suggestion is to look closely at the tutorials on both units and pick the one whose software best fits your needs.  The CEO of Auralic doesn't participate much here anymore as they now have their own forum which I would join and look over if I was you.  

I am the most comfortable with Lightning DS but I have used it a lot longer.  If I had started out with a Lumin I might feel differently. 

When I first settled on the Aries Mini I had both it and the Node at the same time as did a friend in another state.  We both kept the Mini and sent the Node back.  I then bought a used Aries Femto and that was an improvement over the Mini even though the Mini had an outboard LPS too.  The G1 is a huge leap over the Aries Femto to my ears so yes either one of your choices will sound better and give you more choices.

Gus

I just put my hand on top of the G1 which has been on continuously since the first of June and playing music for the last six hours and it is barely warm.  One unit has two linear power supplies inside and the other a SMPS and the temperatures I would guess are within a degree of each other.  Not a concern for any streaming device that I am aware of.