IGNORED

New McIntosh DA2 Digital Module Available

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, granosalis said:

Hello, 

I have SMS200 and Mcintosh DA2 module. I'm trying roon but I'm not able to hear any sound when using Roon DSP I upsample to DSD (every rate). SMS200 Roon is set to DOP. 

Any hint? 

Thanks.

Giuseppe

I don't think you need DOP enabled... Try disabling it and see what happens.

No electron left behind.

DSD will only work natively if you use a windows PC as the source.  If you have MacOS or Linux it won't work.  I couldn't get mine to work with RPi4 or MacBook Pro16 but when I dragged out my Windows PC it did.   The DA2 would not play DSD natively and played it as PCM instead.

My firmware version is 4.013 which is the latest as I had it updated by the dealer late last year.  Some of the older versions had issues too so might be worthwhile checking your version and updating.  However this never fixed the issue above.  I solved the DSD issue by using an external DAC.

On 1/26/2021 at 6:16 AM, madfonzy said:

My firmware version is 4.013

Mine is 4.04 and I have to ship the unit for the upgrade. I can play DSD with Windows pc (Mcintosh ASIO drivers installed) , but can't with SMS200 (linux) or MAC Os in DoP. With my firmware DoP simply dosn't works. 

On 1/26/2021 at 6:16 AM, madfonzy said:

The DA2 would not play DSD natively and played it as PCM instead.

What do you mean by PCM instead? 
Did you see in the display 88.2 / 176.4 / 352.8 ?
Because in this case the DA2 is playing DSD file correctly in DoP mode, encapsulating the DSD signal into a PCM container.

The issue I have with 4.04 firmware is that I can see 176.4 in the display but can't hear any sound. This should be solved by the firmware update to 4.013.

On 1/23/2021 at 7:53 PM, AudioDoctor said:

What rate are you upsampling to? Can you send audio that's not been upsampled?

I have the issue even with a native DSD64 file, without any upsampling. Now I'm doing some test with JRiver on my Mac laptop. But I think the problem is the firmware and the solution is to ship the unit to the service point.

Well it seems now I need to take back what I said earlier.  I just checked playing DSD128 to the C2700 and it actually plays it showing DSD128 on the display.  I am running Roon, no upsampling, DSD over DoP and a RPi4 with Roipeeexl USB to the C2700.

I hadn't checked since I got it back from the dealer since I have a Holo May KTE DAC and have been using that.

Just to be clear there are two firmware types one for the whole preamp and the other for the DA2 module.  For me the C2700 firmware is 4.04 and DA2 is 4.013.  So if you don't have the 4.013 then maybe it is worthwhile sending it back.  I had mine brand new for two weeks, then sent it off and all up it took almost 4 weeks before I got it back.  McIntosh won't let you do it yourself.  The local guy had issues and then had to send it interstate to the main distributer to fix.  No problems since though and it has been great!

15 minutes ago, madfonzy said:

For me the C2700 firmware is 4.04 and DA2 is 4.013.

Latest C2700 firmware is 1.04, could you please check that isn't a typing error?

So you confirm that DA2 firmware 4.013 play DSD DoP files and show DSDxxx on the display, right?

Thanks a lot, your comment was very valuable for me.

Regards,

Giuseppe 

28 minutes ago, madfonzy said:

For reference before the update I had C2700 - 1.02 and DA2 - 4.03.  Not sure why the DA2 firmware version number went lower.

I think Mcintosh should have called 4.13 not 4.013, but it's clear that 4.013 comes out after 4.04
I find DA2 to be of a very good DAC; as good as my Benchmark DAC3B, that I have sold after the comparision.
Can you please comment on the difference between DA2 and Holo May KTE DAC? Now that both are supporting DSD 🙂

On 11/17/2019 at 5:08 AM, Miska said:

Time will show how well McIntosh is keeping up with DAC module updates.

But the easily replaceable DAC module is essential feature to keep such in-device digital sections up to date. 👍

Replying to an old post but continuing on from this... Remember Vinnie Rossi LIO, with modular everything?

Great concept but poor execution. ASR confirmed the power supply section wasn't as isolated form mains power as marketed...

This design no longer exists in current lineup.

29 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Great concept but poor execution. ASR confirmed the power supply section wasn't as isolated form mains power as marketed...

This design no longer exists in current lineup.

The promise is real. DA2 module is already available as an optional upgrade for MA9000, MA8900, MA7200, MA5300, MAC7200, C49 (with DA1 installed). Mcintosh (as industry size) looks not comparable to Vinnie Rossi, I say this with respect. 

41 minutes ago, granosalis said:

Can you please comment on the difference between DA2 and Holo May KTE DAC? Now that both are supporting DSD 🙂

Ok I'll give this a go after comparing a few tracks going back and forth.  Try to put it into words too but the difference us easily noticeable.

Overall for the Holo May KTE we have:

Larger wider soundstage and better instrument placement, higher treble and accuracy, better low clear end bass response.  Big difference is the vocal midrange offers more clarity and realism.  Can hear more micro details where as the DA2 seems to miss that.

For instance on Led Zeppelin - Moby dick with the fast drums.  The Holo just sounded more realistic.  Fast drum response, wider better soundstage, cleary picture the instrument placement, cymbal decay and blacker background.

The DA2 is still a good DAC but the Holo May is superb and the difference is easily noticeable.  The Holo also seems to make standard Redbook 16/44.1 sound great.  Found that I don't need 24 bit or DSD to get the best out of my system.    

For info the rest of my system is MC462, B&W 803D3 and B&W DB1D.

42 minutes ago, madfonzy said:

The DA2 is still a good DAC but the Holo May is superb and the difference is easily noticeable.  

For info the rest of my system is MC462, B&W 803D3 and B&W DB1D.

This is the puzzle, at least from a marketing perspective.  Why is McIntosh's only DAC clearly a couple of performance rungs below the heart of its line?  If you're dropping $20K or more on amps and speakers, the DA2 can't really keep up.

I suppose the DAC is made to a price point. It is a ESS D/S chip.  
But when I was looking for a preamp I needed one with HT passthru so it could go with my home theater gear.  The preamp without the DAC and similar price to the C2700 did not have HT passthru.  The one that did though the C1100 is almost twice the price.  Does have better distortion and noise figures though.  So figure that one out!

2 hours ago, PeterG said:

This is the puzzle, at least from a marketing perspective.  Why is McIntosh's only DAC clearly a couple of performance rungs below the heart of its line?  I

DA2 is an internal DAC, not suppose to replace high-end source.

As I said before, it has similar performance thant the Benchmark DAC3B (which is sold for 1700$) but supports more hires formats  like DXD and DSD512. The DA2 also accepts DSD stream from SACD transport like MCT80. 

If you whant a source that is on pair with the rest of the system look at the MCD-600 or D-1100

7 hours ago, granosalis said:

Latest C2700 firmware is 1.04, could you please check that isn't a typing error?

So you confirm that DA2 firmware 4.013 play DSD DoP files and show DSDxxx on the display, right?

Thanks a lot, your comment was very valuable for me.

Regards,

Giuseppe 

Giuseppe, Interesting thread.  On my C2700 I checked and I am running v1.03 and DA2 firmware V4.03

Any reason to update?  If so, how? I would hate to have to ship it back for a software update.

Thanks,

Mark

23 minutes ago, InVinoVeritasty said:

Any reason to update? 

Ciao Mark,
I don't think the 1.03 VS 1.04 make any difference, but the DA2 V4.03 is affected by some issues of decoding DSD files in DoP format with Mac OS or linux. All is working fine with PC and ASIO.
Unfortunatelly the only way to update is to send the unit back to a service center. Mine will leave on Monday.
If you are not interested in DSD decoding no reason to worry about. 

Be well,

Giuseppe

• 2 weeks later...

First post here after I searched for information on the DA2. I have a MA8900 and am exploring the option of an upgrade. I live in Southern Wisconsin and if I do this, I do not want to ship my Amp but rather transport it to a dealer/service center and wait for the upgrade to be completed. 

I currently use a TEAC NT 505 which uses a Verita AK4497 chip on each channel. It is a decent streamer/DAC combo and outshines the DA1 Module in the Amp (which I have been told is an ESS SABRE 9018). I run the NT505 using the balanced outputs and wonder if it would be worth spending the extra money for the upgrade. It is my understanding that the DA2 is running the ESS SABRE 9028 PRO which would provide considerable muscle but how much? The NT505 is my streamer and plays my DSD rips off my server flawlessly, but I would have to use my MacBook to function as a streamer if I do upgrade.

Any thoughts from those of you who went through the upgrade?

38 minutes ago, Badger_Erich said:

First post here after I searched for information on the DA2. I have a MA8900 and am exploring the option of an upgrade. I live in Southern Wisconsin and if I do this, I do not want to ship my Amp but rather transport it to a dealer/service center and wait for the upgrade to be completed. 

I currently use a TEAC NT 505 which uses a Verita AK4497 chip on each channel. It is a decent streamer/DAC combo and outshines the DA1 Module in the Amp (which I have been told is an ESS SABRE 9018). I run the NT505 using the balanced outputs and wonder if it would be worth spending the extra money for the upgrade. It is my understanding that the DA2 is running the ESS SABRE 9028 PRO which would provide considerable muscle but how much? The NT505 is my streamer and plays my DSD rips off my server flawlessly, but I would have to use my MacBook to function as a streamer if I do upgrade.

Any thoughts from those of you who went through the upgrade?

If I were you, I would save your money and upgrade your external source when you feel like upgrading. I did the upgrade and was underwhelmed with it compared to the DA1. I am now using a Schiit Yggdrasil instead.

No electron left behind.