IGNORED

New McIntosh DA2 Digital Module Available

6 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

That would mean they would need to come up with a software solution as well, and support it, and does that really make sense when there are so many good ethernet sources already that can connect to their DAC?

As far as I can see, that is a DAC board, not a "streamer" (IOW computer). So it is "their DAC"?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

If they were to do this, they would be smart to partner with someone already in the game. Imagine the equivalent to an Optical Rendu INSIDE the McIntosh...

There are usually three ways companies go with such:

1) Take something like RasPi and have normal Linux with MPD there (Bryston, etc)

2) Buy solution from StreamUnlimited

3) Buy solution from ConversDigital

Smaller companies usually do (1) because it is very cheap. Bigger ones can afford (2, 3) since the initial cost is higher.

9 hours ago, ShawnC said:

I'm still amazed that McIntosh and other brands make products with so many inputs that aren't solely dedicated to home theater.  I don't know anyone anymore that use more then 3 inputs (DAC or stream, Phone and tape) and digital is usually the default go to.

One reason I have the preamp I have, is that it has 8 analog inputs of which 3 are balanced, and has possibility to freely enter name for each input. No digital inputs. I have all inputs in use, and wouldn't buy one with built-in DAC. I could use more inputs though.

9 hours ago, ShawnC said:

My ultimate solution would be a Kii or Dutch like product (with full frequency range) Roon capable, DSP and a nice remote. 

I'm still amazed at the sound and how simple the setup is on my Kef LS50s with a REl sub are.  If KEF made a floor standing (full range) model of this design I'm done.

I wouldn't buy such. Digital side evolves so fast that it would obsolete the entire speakers in two years.

27 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Which is one way that McIntosh has a good idea by making the module replaceable.

I think it was Accuphase who started on this path.

Yes, that is a very good approach. Accuphase, NAD and Creek have been also doing same. I have one Creek amp with Ruby DAC module (replaces one set of analog inputs). I'm not sure if NAD has been releasing any updated versions. Creek has updated once (Ruby 2). Accuphase has done some updates. Time will show how well McIntosh is keeping up with DAC module updates.

But the easily replaceable DAC module is essential feature to keep such in-device digital sections up to date. 👍

8 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Miska - how do you like the Creek integrated amp?

I came very close to buying one but went Audio Research pre-amp and separate amp...

It is very good price/performance ratio, and it is just so damn good match for Dynaudio speakers. Now Creek is coming up with new higher end version they had on display at Munich. I talked with the designer about what they improved. I will likely move over to that one or alternatively Electrocompaniet, have to see how it goes. But I've been very happy!

Ruby module is multi-functional. S/PDIF (low jitter Wolfson S/PDIF interface chip) and USB-input DAC, Bluetooth, and FM-radio as plug-in module.