IGNORED

NUC or Xeon

novaca

I'd like to try to move on. I want setup with a single computer (I currently have NUC7PJYH, Apacer RAM). My dilemma is NUC (NUC7iDNDN, Apacer RAM) vs Xeon (something like Supermicro X11SCZ-F, Xeon E-2124G, Apacer or Hynix ECC RAM). NUC is not cheap, it costs almost the same as Xeon. So Xeon seems like a better option - until power comes. NUC is easy to power, I have a Paul Hynes SR4, but Xeon? Something like HDPlex 400W ATX is an elegant solution, but the SR4 is probably a different level. Is the Xeon solution so much better (to possibly wipe off the worse power supply)?
In both configurations, I am tempted to use a Jcat Femto USB card - if it is externally powered, is the main power less critical?

Thanks for the recommendation

Thanks. OK, Xeon feels like a better choice, though a more complicated implementation.

The DC-DC converter would probably be the weakest part. In the first phase I could use Pico PSU for 24pin motherboard and 8 pin for processor power directly from LPS. Then wait for future options or maybe a custom cable 24pin to 3 LPS rails. But then the power section takes on huge proportions and costs.
Should more attention be given to selecting a particular processor and motherboard, or is it a question of architecture as such?

Yes, I follow Farad. Unfortunately, as you write, their information about future products has been removed.
There are many power options, but most have no reference or comparison. If there were scales, PicoPSU with a standard laptop source "0", Paul Hynes SR7 "10", then Farad maybe "8-9". But where would HDPlex, Teratak, ZeroZone...? There is no answer to that now.
But back to Xeon. I would like to repeat the previous question that I am most interested in now: Should more attention be given to selecting a particular (specific) processor and motherboard, or is it a question of architecture as such?