IGNORED

NUC or Xeon

novaca

I'd like to try to move on. I want setup with a single computer (I currently have NUC7PJYH, Apacer RAM). My dilemma is NUC (NUC7iDNDN, Apacer RAM) vs Xeon (something like Supermicro X11SCZ-F, Xeon E-2124G, Apacer or Hynix ECC RAM). NUC is not cheap, it costs almost the same as Xeon. So Xeon seems like a better option - until power comes. NUC is easy to power, I have a Paul Hynes SR4, but Xeon? Something like HDPlex 400W ATX is an elegant solution, but the SR4 is probably a different level. Is the Xeon solution so much better (to possibly wipe off the worse power supply)?
In both configurations, I am tempted to use a Jcat Femto USB card - if it is externally powered, is the main power less critical?

Thanks for the recommendation

I think that Xeon is a significant upgrade. You'd have to use a hdplex 400W or teradak ATX psu or some sort of DC-DC converter such as PIco PSU in combination with your Hynes LPS - if the Hynes LPS provides enough current for Xeon. 

The JCAT USB Card FEMTO really benefits from external PSU. It's a major upgrade, especially with a great LPS such as Hynes. 

That said, power supply for the motherboard/CPU is still very important, even the DC cables are. 

Best regards,
Marcin 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

The Xeon should have better longevity as a server, especially if you are going to leave it up 24/7.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

48 minutes ago, firedog said:

The Xeon should have better longevity as a server, especially if you are going to leave it up 24/7.

😲 Really?

I have an 8-core Atom ruining 24/7 for years, a Raspberry Pi always on for year too. Not server processors but running perfectly.
On/off cycles, thermal cycles, can reduce cpu life, not their category....

Thanks. OK, Xeon feels like a better choice, though a more complicated implementation.

The DC-DC converter would probably be the weakest part. In the first phase I could use Pico PSU for 24pin motherboard and 8 pin for processor power directly from LPS. Then wait for future options or maybe a custom cable 24pin to 3 LPS rails. But then the power section takes on huge proportions and costs.
Should more attention be given to selecting a particular processor and motherboard, or is it a question of architecture as such?

2 hours ago, novaca said:

The DC-DC converter would probably be the weakest part

I believe that Farad had some kind of solution mentioned under ‘future developments’. This could eliminate the weak spot. Also a multiple output PSU was mentioned. The future developments section is no longer on their site, so I don’t know the latest status.

Yes, I follow Farad. Unfortunately, as you write, their information about future products has been removed.
There are many power options, but most have no reference or comparison. If there were scales, PicoPSU with a standard laptop source "0", Paul Hynes SR7 "10", then Farad maybe "8-9". But where would HDPlex, Teratak, ZeroZone...? There is no answer to that now.
But back to Xeon. I would like to repeat the previous question that I am most interested in now: Should more attention be given to selecting a particular (specific) processor and motherboard, or is it a question of architecture as such?

3 hours ago, novaca said:

But back to Xeon. I would like to repeat the previous question that I am most interested in now: Should more attention be given to selecting a particular (specific) processor and motherboard, or is it a question of architecture as such?

And ram.

When I first built my new Xeon server I ordered ECC memory from Apacer but the lead time was over 3 weeks.  So, I bought a cheap Crucial module so I could get the server up and running and ready for the Apacer.

The Crucial memory I got was non-ECC and buffered.  

The server sounded pretty good initially but when I put the Apacer memory in it went to a whole new level.  Night and day.  I am now convinced how much of a difference the memory can make.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific