IGNORED

Article: Home Audio Fidelity - Room Shaper Review

27 minutes ago, Luchoo said:

I've managed to get the Room Shaper working in-between Roon and HQPlayer using the standalone version of the plugin.

I found out that there is a newer version fo Soundflower which works on the latest macOS version. It could be downloaded from here - https://www.fluxforge.com/blog/soundflower-os-x-10.11-10.12-macOS-sierra/

Once it is installed it will create two new virtual sound devices. One should be used in Roon settings as an Output and the other as an Input in HQPlayer settings. The same should be done in the Room Shaper plugin.

Please explain what HW you’re using. This still requires a PC ? Can’t use SonicTransporter ?

• 1 month later...

Currently, I am wondering whether it will be possible to use Room Shaper offline. That is I would like to have my audio files processed by Room Shaper before putting them on a music server running on a linux system (such as AudioLinux or Euphony/Stylus or Sonicorbiter). For digital room correction, I know that such possibilities exist (such as AcourateConvoler).  In principle, I do now see why this should not be possible. I guess one could cook up something e.g. by using BlackHole or Soundflower on Mac to some recording software. 

With Room Shaper offline treatment of the audio files, it would be possible to benefit directly from its power on a Linux music server without the need for a Windows or a Mac machine ... although I still think that the above solution by @fresponse is great already. Many thanks.

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers

For windows you can use Foobar to perform different types of conversion, including adding VST effects. You just need to select a playlist (or isolated track) and use the "convert" option accessible with right clicking. In the "convert" menu you can select the output format, naming convention for modified tracks and add a VST plugin in the "processing" sub menu.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to chime in and say what a fine plugin this is! Absorbers large enough to do any good are a non-start in my space. I've used Thierry's xtalk filters for 3 years now and finally sat down to get the Room Shaper integrated into Roon and HQPe.

I moved Roon from ROCK to RoonServer on Windows, adding Foobar, virtual cabled, VST support and the Room Shaper plugin of course. Fantastic impact on my room.

I do wish the latency wasn't so great but understand it fundamental to operating in the time domain.

Well done Thierry. Hopefully other 'players' will work to integrate your excellent work.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm struggling with an odd problem with Foobar/VST host/Recorder/Room Shaper setup. That's all I use Foobar for and it stops, not a crash, just stops accepting the stream from Roon after 3 hours 22 minutes. Consistently.  Foobar is still 'playing' just the record time counter stops and the music as well. I can simply click stop/play and it will resume with no other changes.

I've tried another VST support component, same problem. I'm currently trying the original 0.1 version of foo_record. I've been unable to find anything but this very old first version and the most current. I'm suspecting foo_record is the culprit. 

Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution?

6 hours ago, lpost said:

I'm struggling with an odd problem with Foobar/VST host/Recorder/Room Shaper setup. That's all I use Foobar for and it stops, not a crash, just stops accepting the stream from Roon after 3 hours 22 minutes. Consistently.  Foobar is still 'playing' just the record time counter stops and the music as well. I can simply click stop/play and it will resume with no other changes.

I've tried another VST support component, same problem. I'm currently trying the original 0.1 version of foo_record. I've been unable to find anything but this very old first version and the most current. I'm suspecting foo_record is the culprit. 

Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution?

I haven't used Room Shaper for some time now, but if my memory serves me right, this Foobar setup uses UPnP ?

I believe this is caused by restrictions in upnp standards. UPnP requires end time for all tracks/streams it outputs. This Foobar setup doesn't have end time and therefor required end of stream/track gets timed out after 3-4 hours which causes your audio to cut out. I don't think there is any way to solve it at the moment (I could be wrong though...).

Thanks. Yes, it outputs upnp. After careful troubleshooting and communication with the author of foo_record I found that by forcing upnp to send a FLAC stream the WAV 4GB/3-4 hour time limit is removed.  

For those that can only use WAV - there's a workaround component here: https://foobar.hyv.fi/?view=foo_upnp_workaround I don't know if it works in my case as I found forcing FLAC resolves it.

Why have you stopped using Room Shaper? Found something better or decided all the routing through Foobar plus components was too much?

That’s great news and good to know! Room Shaper is one of a kind as far as I know, so there’s no competing DSP plugins that can achieve what this ”little” plugin can do. 

I was able (and lucky) to get my room acoustics to a point where Room Shaper is not really needed anymore.

Acoustic treatments required to get to this point, took a lot of time and money. Looking back, I almost wish I just kept using Room Shaper instead;) I hated the way it had to be implemented in my audio path, but it worked extremely well.

Thanks. I’m back to wav with a script that kills/restarts Foobar every 4.5 hours. Flac wouldn’t resume from stop/pause and lpcm isn’t accepted by HQPe at least not from foobar upnp output.

the wav workaround fix seemingly did nothing. Playback still stops with it in the chain.

• 1 month later...

I have been wondering how this software works since @mitchco reviewed this.

I recently came across this additional convolution filter feature in Acourate:

https://www.audiovero.de/acourateforum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44

I wonder if Room Shaper basically works like Virtual Bass Array

Basically if you have a stable resonance frequency due to the length of your room, you can digitally generate a delayed inverse sound pulse when that frequency is echoing from your music, (kind of like active noise cancellation in headphones) and that wavefront would cancel the echo and reduce the decay time.

The problem of course at least if implemented in Acourate is that it only works for the most stable bass echo along the longitudinal room axis. It is possible Room Shaper came up with other ways to introduce a similar solution for other bass room resonance.

But something is better than nothing. Like in my room, adding the Virtual Bass Array convolution/pulse on top of the standard Acourate convolution did reduce the bass resonance at one of the main resonance frequencies and provide more clarity to the music.

Hello @ecwl

You can find some info on how Room Shaper is working here

It is not working as other corrections like the one you mention that will only deal with modes of minimum phase type. 

A good way to describe how Room Shaper works is to use the analogy of a musician that will adapt his playing to the room : if he detects a problematic resonance, he will play some notes softer and shorter

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry just discover this topic.

At present I am using Accourate for DRC. Since my music player ( Jplay Femto ) does not support convolutin , I have to use offline convolution with Accourate NAS  (it took several months to convolve my 12TB digital library.

So I have two questions if deside to switch to JRiver

"Room Shaper can complement any DRC product as it is targeting a different issue (i.e. reducing low frequency decay time) than DRC addresses (i.e. frequency and time domain correction). In my case, I use Audiolense and Acourate. Of course, one can simply use Room Shaper as a standalone VST plugin as DRC is not a requirement. I am using JRiver MC25 as the host for the plugin."

1.Do I need additional software or JRiver ( on windows platform,  Windows Srver 2019 ) can handle both Room Shaper and Accourate Filters at the same time.

2. If yes , how powerful computer I need. My siren computer is quite old Athlon II 45W processor with 8 GB RAM

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've added Room Shaper to my Roon setup. It has really transformed my music listening experience. The bass is so refined that I could not believe its the same speakers (Salk Sound SS8).

Here is my audio chain

Roon Core (Win 10 PC)->VB-Cable(WASPI)->Foobar(VST Plugin, Recorder 192/24)->ultraRendu(MPD/DLNA)->Schiit Yggy DAC->Freya+Preamp->Amp

Currently there is no way to send source sample rate to DAC using Foobar2k and all the input is converted to sample rate of Recorder (192/24) in FB2k. 

However VB-Cable has Internal Sample Rate of max 96Khz. In Windows Sound Control I've set it to 192/24.

Does it down converter to 96/24 and then to 192/24?

If yes is there any other option to prevent double conversion?

I have tried  Hi-Fi cable with ASIO bridge and ASIO OFF but I get garbled voice

image.png.270b1109b191700ad483cc0c708996c8.png