mitchco

Article: Home Audio Fidelity - Room Shaper Review

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, scintilla said:

Thanks Bob, I tried that and got a chain that worked using Audiohijack with Roon outputting to Soundflower rather than system. I think it is worth playing with on a trial basis now that this plugin is available for Mac.

Are you using Loopback or Soundflower to couple Audio Hijack's output to HQP's input?

If Soundflower works, that's a great free solution.  OTOH, if you have to use Loopback in one leg of the chain, you might as well use it in both legs.  Loopback can create an unlimited number of virtual devices.

Mac Mini (2012 i7) > HQPlayer or Audirvana > exaSound e32 > Parasound JC-1 > Thiel 3.7

I used Roon--> Soundflower-->Hijack-->Room Shaper-->Loopback-->HQPlayer.

I then tried Roon-->Soundflower-->Puremusic streamthrough-->Loopback--HQPlayer.  

The latter would be preferred if I could get Room Shaper to work as a plugin in Puremusic, but so far I can't get Puremusic to recognize it and allow it as an AU in the list or to get plugins even working in the chain. Loopback is not easy to configure. I found that I could put Room Shaper between Roon and Loopback though and that may be my only option right now. None of this is ideal.

Yeah, I haven't figured out how to get it up and running either.

I'm using Roon convolution for DRC; I've got the mic, REW, trial version of the program etc.

Just can't figure out how to actually do the measurements and produce the needed correction in my setup. When I tried to use the .dll, I kept getting a response that it couldn't be loaded. And I can't figure out how to use the standalone version together with other software. I'll give it another try  on the weekend. 

If anyone wants to help, PM me. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

If someone manage to find a solution to add Room Shaper between Roon and HQPlayer on Windows let me know!

But I'm using Accurate convolution DRC in HQPlayer. Guess Room Shaper need to be added after convolution? So perhaps not a solution for me. Might have to switch to Jriver to try Room Shaper. But then I loose Roon's great GUI and HQPlayers wonderful DSD upsampling filters. Trade-offs...

thanks for a great article Mitch!

regards Micke

Roon/HQPlayer > MicroRendu 1.4  > Buffalo III-SE-PRO DAC > Linkwitz ASP.4 > 6 x Hypex NC400, 2 x UCD400HG > Linkwitz LX521.4

I used Roon--> Soundflower-->Hijack-->Room Shaper-->Loopback-->HQPlayer. This works on MacOS, there's no reason to think it won't on Windows too.

I am also using HQPlayer with acourate DRC filters.  The place for Room Shaper is before HQPlayer and convolution.  The developer has indicated that you should if possible have Room Shaper as your first plugin or signal processing in your chain.  You also will want to do your sweeps with your DRC engaged. 

Thanks for the feedback scintilla!
Great news, then I will try Room shaper with Hqplayer in Windows. 
I have no experience with loopbacks, VST plugins etc. Just started to read about it now. Might try (if no one have better suggestions?)
Roon —> Voicemeeter virtual input —> Voicemeeter Banana (Connect to Reaper as VST Host for Room shaper via IN/OUT Patch) -> Voicemeeter virtual output -> HQPlayer -> NAA
or 
Roon —> VB-Audio CABLE virtual input —> Reaper (as VST Host for Room shaper) —> VB-Audio CABLE virtual input 2 -> HQPlayer -> NAA

or

Roon -> VB-Audio ASIO Bridge (if possible to route to Reaper as VST Host for Room shaper) -> HQPlayer -> NAA

Some links

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm
https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/
https://www.reaper.fm/ (found some documentation here https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1681556 )

So I read above that HQPlayer streaming input samplerate need to be set manually. I use 384kHz wav convolution filters in Hqplayer (and upsample after that to DSD256).
Dunno if it best to then try to upsample everything to 384kHz before HQplayer (either in Roon or perhaps Voicemeeter)?

Roon/HQPlayer > MicroRendu 1.4  > Buffalo III-SE-PRO DAC > Linkwitz ASP.4 > 6 x Hypex NC400, 2 x UCD400HG > Linkwitz LX521.4

I wonder if this would be effective on a 2.1 system?  Might be a stupid question, but wouldn't the plugin tame the bass portion of the total signal even if some of the is being reproduced by the satellites and most by the sub? One product I am interested in is DSPeaker anti-mode, but I'd much prefer a software solution

On 11/20/2019 at 7:49 AM, scintilla said:

I used Roon--> Soundflower-->Hijack-->Room Shaper-->Loopback-->HQPlayer.

I then tried Roon-->Soundflower-->Puremusic streamthrough-->Loopback--HQPlayer.  

The latter would be preferred if I could get Room Shaper to work as a plugin in Puremusic, but so far I can't get Puremusic to recognize it and allow it as an AU in the list or to get plugins even working in the chain. Loopback is not easy to configure. I found that I could put Room Shaper between Roon and Loopback though and that may be my only option right now. None of this is ideal.

Could you give some advise on how you got it working on a Mac? I can’t write the configuration, Thierry was trying to help but unfortunately we were not successful so far.

I am using Audio Hijack: Roon - Room Shaper - Output. After uploading the ir files I get an error message when trying to write the configuration. I did place the plugin in the library/audio/plugin-ins/components folder.... see screenshot attached

7AE4A467-990F-43C7-830A-5381D52D2A63.png

I'm afraid that I can't help you yet.  I haven't yet done sweeps, I merely got a signal flow that output sound through the plugin and out to HQPlayer. Once I get a chance to do sweeps I will post my results. 

19 hours ago, olli said:

Could you give some advise on how you got it working on a Mac? I can’t write the configuration, Thierry was trying to help but unfortunately we were not successful so far.

I am using Audio Hijack: Roon - Room Shaper - Output. After uploading the ir files I get an error message when trying to write the configuration. I did place the plugin in the library/audio/plugin-ins/components folder.... see screenshot attached

I got the same error message on mac-mini. Reasoned it had to be a permissions problem even though logged in as admin-user. Solved by starting room-shaper as a root-user - for how to do that:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/06/how-to-run-gui-apps-as-root-in-mac-os-x/

Only need to do this one time as once config is successfully loaded then can run room-shaper normally.

8 hours ago, Alvantri said:

I got the same error message on mac-mini. Reasoned it had to be a permissions problem even though logged in as admin-user. Solved by starting room-shaper as a root-user - for how to do that:

http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/06/how-to-run-gui-apps-as-root-in-mac-os-x/

Only need to do this one time as once config is successfully loaded then can run room-shaper normally.

Thans Alvantri. That did work. I got it configured now, but I am only getting my 4 subs once I turn on Hijack, mains are gone then. How did you integrate Room Shaper?

Using Room Shaper as plugin with JRMC on the Mac-mini, and then digital out via MOTU 8D to Win10 laptop/RME FF UCX,  and AcourateConvolver for 2 way crossovers/room correction for active 2-way system. Can't do all the processing on one box as it won't keep up. Getting very good sound this way though.

On 11/26/2019 at 6:30 AM, Alvantri said:

Using Room Shaper as plugin with JRMC on the Mac-mini, and then digital out via MOTU 8D to Win10 laptop/RME FF UCX,  and AcourateConvolver for 2 way crossovers/room correction for active 2-way system. Can't do all the processing on one box as it won't keep up. Getting very good sound this way though.

Got it. JRMC. I can't use JRMC because I am only streaming from TIDAL and the WDM driver thing isn't working properly. Too bad, but thanks anyway!

Sorry if I am being obtuse or overreaching, but could olli and/or Alvantri talk me through how to solve the permissions problem, step by step for a child? The link Alvantri has provided assumes a level of technical finesse I admit not to have. Thanks!

JiLS

2018 Mac Mini > Roon + Home Audio Fidelity DSP > ISO REGEN + LPS-1 > Schiit Yggdrasil  DAC > Cambridge Audio Azur 851A amplifier > PSB Synchrony 2 loudspeakers