IGNORED

Article: Home Audio Fidelity - Room Shaper Review

Thanks Mitchco for this fantastic review/article!

One question, is there a reason why one would record impulse responses for Room Shaper with DRC filters enabled ?

I did that (Audiolense filters), but in my (simple) head I think it should be other way around...

At the moment I'm so sick of taking measurements, but I need to test that. Not sure if it's possible with Audiolense, but maybe it's doable if one uses Jriver asio output in Audiolense (with Room Shaper enabled in Jriver).

I'm in the middle of fairly comprehensive acoustic project for my listening room, but most of my bass traps aren't arriving until mid december and this Thierry's genius plugin really helps the wait. Got to say if this was released a week earlier I might have skipped purchasing most of those traps :)

I can't believe how well this thing actually works (at least for my room & equipment).

I have ended up using effect/sense at 40-50%. 

On 11/13/2019 at 8:24 PM, firedog said:

Mitchco-

Great article. I would never have thought of using this together with standard DRC.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any reasonable way to make this work with Roon (VST plugins).

Yes, JRiver is a possibility, but I strongly prefer Roon as a UI.

You can still use Roon UI. Just enable JRiver ASIO output in Roon and set JRiver up correctly.

It's bit fiddly I must say. I have had several Jriver crashes, but it might be due to too short buffer. I've now maxed it out in Jriver (500ms) and no crashes in few hours. WASAPI output seems to be more stable...

Forgot to mention that I did notice one negative side effect, soundstage depth has gotten smaller in my case.

However cause for that can be so many things as my audio path is now so much more complicated than before.

Overall improvement means more to me than losing some depth, so I can live with it for now.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, lpost said:

I'm struggling with an odd problem with Foobar/VST host/Recorder/Room Shaper setup. That's all I use Foobar for and it stops, not a crash, just stops accepting the stream from Roon after 3 hours 22 minutes. Consistently.  Foobar is still 'playing' just the record time counter stops and the music as well. I can simply click stop/play and it will resume with no other changes.

I've tried another VST support component, same problem. I'm currently trying the original 0.1 version of foo_record. I've been unable to find anything but this very old first version and the most current. I'm suspecting foo_record is the culprit. 

Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution?

I haven't used Room Shaper for some time now, but if my memory serves me right, this Foobar setup uses UPnP ?

I believe this is caused by restrictions in upnp standards. UPnP requires end time for all tracks/streams it outputs. This Foobar setup doesn't have end time and therefor required end of stream/track gets timed out after 3-4 hours which causes your audio to cut out. I don't think there is any way to solve it at the moment (I could be wrong though...).

That’s great news and good to know! Room Shaper is one of a kind as far as I know, so there’s no competing DSP plugins that can achieve what this ”little” plugin can do. 

I was able (and lucky) to get my room acoustics to a point where Room Shaper is not really needed anymore.

Acoustic treatments required to get to this point, took a lot of time and money. Looking back, I almost wish I just kept using Room Shaper instead;) I hated the way it had to be implemented in my audio path, but it worked extremely well.