IGNORED

Article: Home Audio Fidelity - Room Shaper Review

On 11/16/2019 at 11:29 AM, scintilla said:

I can't figure out how to configure it with my Roon-->HQPlayer set up.  I tried Audio Hijack and that doesn't work application to application. I was looking at Puremusic streamthrough but it isn't capturing the signal out of Roon. Nor can I specify the output to HQPlayer.  There must be some way to do this.  It would be helpful if either Roon or HQPlayer supported plugins.

You can use Rogue Amoeba's "Loopback" to route the audio from Audio Hijack to HQPlayer.  The "Loopback + Audio Hijack" bundle is $130, but I expect Rogue Amoeba will offer a discount for Black Friday.

For others who are not wedded to Roon, the Audirvana music player supports AU plugins, and I recall reading on the HQPlayer thread that Audirvana can output directly to HQPlayer.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

One caveat applies to both of my suggested methods of inserting a plugin between the music player and HQPlayer:  With HQP's streaming input, the sample rate must be set manually; it is not automatically detected.  So you must manually adjust the sample rate of HQP based on the sample rate of the music currently being played, or else you can leave HQP set to a fixed sample rate such as 384KHz and configure Roon or Audirvana to upsample all music to that rate.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

3 hours ago, scintilla said:

Thanks Bob, I tried that and got a chain that worked using Audiohijack with Roon outputting to Soundflower rather than system. I think it is worth playing with on a trial basis now that this plugin is available for Mac.

Are you using Loopback or Soundflower to couple Audio Hijack's output to HQP's input?

If Soundflower works, that's a great free solution.  OTOH, if you have to use Loopback in one leg of the chain, you might as well use it in both legs.  Loopback can create an unlimited number of virtual devices.