IGNORED

totaldac d1-streamer

• 2 months later...

Dear Matthias,

I will try to summarize here my experience with the D1-streamer but I need to start with the very beginning of that story.

I have a very good CD player, and a network player (Marantz NA11-S1). Then, having look at the comments on various forums, I decided to give TotalDac a try.

I decided to buy a D1-direct (in a reduced version but still a D1-direct) and started to be very enthusiastic about those products. Later on, I bought an USB Gigafilter from Totaldac and it was much better than without, which I did not expect.

I decided to go forward and try a D1-streamer to replace my USB connection from a Macbook pro to the DAC. I was again astonished by the result as it was better than the best I thought I had before.

In a nutshell, that means that the D1-direct gave me the capability to listen to all details, the Gigafllter gave me access to the musical message, and the D1-streamer opened the "kitchen" of the composer to understand how the musical beauty has been made.

The best solution for you is try it, TotalDac is offering a 14 days trial, provided you transfer the money before...

Eric

1 hour ago, Eric31 said:

I will try to summarize here my experience with the D1-streamer but I need to start with the very beginning of that story.

I have a very good CD player, and a network player (Marantz NA11-S1). Then, having look at the comments on various forums, I decided to give TotalDac a try.

I decided to buy a D1-direct (in a reduced version but still a D1-direct) and started to be very enthusiastic about those products. Later on, I bought an USB Gigafilter from Totaldac and it was much better than without, which I did not expect.

I decided to go forward and try a D1-streamer to replace my USB connection from a Macbook pro to the DAC. I was again astonished by the result as it was better than the best I thought I had before.

In a nutshell, that means that the D1-direct gave me the capability to listen to all details, the Gigafllter gave me access to the musical message, and the D1-streamer opened the "kitchen" of the composer to understand how the musical beauty has been made.

The best solution for you is try it, TotalDac is offering a 14 days trial, provided you transfer the money before...

Hi Eric,

thank you for sharing.

What is your set-up upstream to the d1-streamer?

Do you use your MBP for streaming to the d1-steamer?

If yes, which software player do you in your MBP, for example Audirvana?

Thanks again

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Hi Matt,

You are fully right, good guess, I'm using Audirvana and send UpNp data to the streamer. This is working great, or should I say it was working great before I had a failure of my network car in the MacBook pro. I have now to use the Wifi connection which is less reliable. I plan to buy a Mac mini to replace it but I need to find one at a reasonable price.

I also tried the mconnect app which is the best IoS app I know in terms of flexibility and reliability. Unfortunately it is not as versatile as the Audirvana sw as it cannot play DSD or SACD ISO files.

Some people suggested to give Roon a try but I found the product a bit expensive (not when compared to the price of my DAC!!) and quite demanding in terms of system requirements. in addition I heard that in terms of audio quality Roon was behind Audirvana and I have no use of the capability to stream music to different zones.

i don't have the new streamer but the one it replaced.

i don't use the streaming part (based on a cubox), just the reclocker section which is fantastic.

i feed it with the usb output (lush^2 usb cable) of an opticalRendu, which is my 'streamer' and is set to NAA mode.

HQPlayer embedded, running under audiolinux, is my music server but i do not use any upscaling or signal processing, since i believe the totaldac sounds best with unmodified pcm.  HQPlayer sounds best here, even without signal processing or dither of any kind, compared with MPD or upnp mode.

the totaldac streamer can also directly support NAA mode if you want to try hqplayer.

Hello,

Im' a bit angry at this point! I noticed that my reply to Matthias has been reported to another forum (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-totaldac-d1-six-dac.8192/page-90)

and was severely mocked through various comments.

I did not think that people have the right to cut and paste messages from this forum to another one without any prior authorization from either the author or the moderator. 

I do not care at all about the comments made by those guys but I do not like the principle. It's clearly obvious that those guys have no idea of how a Totaldac machine sounds and they probably do not know much about music. What they name as music is most probably sounds or noise created to animate their body and not music that speaks to the mind.

Sorry for that but I need to express my displeasure.

50 minutes ago, Eric31 said:

Hello,

Im' a bit angry at this point! I noticed that my reply to Matthias has been reported to another forum (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-totaldac-d1-six-dac.8192/page-90)

I did not think that people have the right to cut and paste messages from this forum to another one without any prior authorization from either the author or the moderator. 

I do not care at all about the comments made by those guys but I do not like the principle. It's clearly obvious that those guys have no idea of how a Totaldac machine sounds and they probably do not know much about music. What they name as music is most probably sounds or noise created to animate their body and not music that speaks to the mind.

Fair use allows for educational and comedy purposes.

1 hour ago, Eric31 said:

Hello,

Hi Eric,

nevermind, it is pearls before swine and I think there is nothing you can do against copy and paste.

ATB

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)