IGNORED

Qobuz app via AirPlay vs. Audirvana via DLNA

Hello,

I‘d like to understand why I hear significant differences between two ways to stream qobuz to my Streamer/DAC.

I‘m new here and hope I“m not wasting everyone‘s time as the answer might be so blindingly obvious.  But here I am, without a clue.

The two ways are:

A: Streaming from the qobuz App on my iPhone Xs via Airplay to my portable CHORD streamer/dac (Poly/Mojo)

B: Streaming from Audirvana 3.5, with qobuz configured, on my iMac via UPnP to the CHORD.

The CHORD is connected to an ancient Pioneer A-717 amp, feeding Tannoy DC8 speakers. I‘m subscribed to qobuz Hi-Fi.

What I‘m observing is that B sounds way better than A. Actually A sounds flat, narrow, not worth listening to.

I wonder why. Is it the difference in the player software, or does the CHORD potentially sound different via different inputs? 

Best regards

Tom

On 11/10/2019 at 9:17 AM, Tom Schultz said:

Is it the difference in the player software, or does the CHORD potentially sound different via different inputs?

Perhaps a more useful UPnP/DLNA vs AirPlay comparison which should help answer that question, would be to compare both network audio delivery methods using only Audirvana playing the Qobuz audio file tracks on the same laptop - you should be able to select the Chord AirPlay device as the audio device in Audirvana's Audio System setting's page, in the same way as you selected the Chord UPnP/DLNA device.

BTW, Audirvana's support of UPnP/DLNA streaming is actually more 'AirPlay like' compared to the way UPnP/DLNA is normally used:

- Audirvana actually decodes and plays the Qobuz FLAC audio file tracks though its audio engine, sending the resulting audio output (encapsulated as an uncompressed WAV file) via UPnP/DLNA. This is similar to what happens with AirPlay, except Aurdirvana's audio output is resampled (as necessary) to AirPlay's fixed CD audio 16bit/44.1kHz resolution, plus it's then (losslessly) compressed using the ALAC audio codec to help save on network bandwidth;

- the usual method, used by other UPnP/DLNA supporting software, would be that the actual Qobuz FLAC audio file tracks themselves would be sent untouched via UPnP/DLNA, so that the Chord itself would decode and play the FLAC tracks. For example, using the mconnect Player iOS app (free Lite version available for testing).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

• 9 months later...

I've the same experience with Spotify via iPhone vs Spotify Mac app (both getting to the speaker system via AirPlay): The Mac app sounds much better, no contest.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.