IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

8 hours ago, Bernstein said:

I want be crystal clear!

For me the discussion around the topic is interesting from a measurements point of view but imho started by @vortecjrHIGHLY colored with business / marketing interest in

mind. It doesn’t help or add something to the knowledge of the community, rather creating “loose” ends of understanding based on not proven facts and accusations. 
Knowing, that John Swenson is also working with Sonore, I only can summarize the discussion of @vortecjr as not knowing how to behave, communicate and act in public with respect of other people and especially  the people working with him. 

I have valid concerns and it doesn’t matter how many high fives you get. I think it’s disingenuous to promote a connection scheme which goes against the very premise of the device. I’m sorry that you don’t like the concern or the message behind it but that’s the reality of the situation.

8 hours ago, Jud said:

I agree with @lmitche. @vortecjr, understood that @Superdad said something about use and placement of the EtherREGEN you disagree with. Think such disagreements and/or the parameters of fair comment would be better hashed out in PMs, not because I have a desire to curtail useful discussion, but because I'd like the discussion to remain useful rather than degenerate.

There is really nothing to hash out. I can’t help it if people want to instigate.

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Please stop.  I do not know what you mean by "a connection scheme which goes against the very premise of the device." EtherREGEN? opticalRendu? I don't really care and I think you are confusing people.

UpTone is not targeting Sonore customers. But some of the same people choose to purchase products from both brands. John wanted to include an optical SFP cage on the EtherREGEN and to make the unit symmetrical so that opticalRendu users could use it and benefit. Which a reasonable number have already reported they are. Seems simple enough to me. B|

I'm sorry you are confused. I'm simply asking, because I'm curious. How does connecting a device with poor clocks and poor power regulation circuits to the output of an EtherREGEN preserve the significant reduction in phase-noise fingerprint? Put another way doesn't the dirty device inject its phase-noise fingerprint into the DAC anyway. When you say connecting anything to the output of the EtherREGEN is always desirable you are confusing me.     

9 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I'm sorry you are confused. I'm simply asking, because I'm curious. How does connecting a device with poor clocks and poor power regulation circuits to the output of an EtherREGEN preserve the significant reduction in phase-noise fingerprint? Put another way doesn't the dirty device inject its phase-noise fingerprint into the DAC anyway. When you say connecting anything to the output of the EtherREGEN is always desirable you are confusing me.     

I really can't believe you think it is appropriate for you to be carrying on in Alex's public folder.  This is why these sites have private messaging.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

23 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Oh, okay, now I understand what you are getting at. Namely you are questioning how computer/streamer/renderer/DAC endpoints--that might not themselves have the very best (or any) attention paid to clocks and power regulation--can benefit from the EtherREGEN.

Well there is a world of those devices out there, ranging from NUCs and Raspberry Pi, to Aurender, Lumin, Auralic, dCS (DACs and bridge), PS Audio, Ayre, etc.  As well of course as your fine micro/ultra/opticalRendus. And already hundreds of people are using EtherREGENs with all of those and liking what they hear.

Seems it might be time for me to send you one to check out first-hand. :D

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

In my case, since I have a microRendu (your very kind and generous gift), the ER, and a USB DAC, getting the ER as close as possible to the DAC means using it to feed the microRendu. I would imagine many people have similar setups.

That worked better for me than optical Ethernet through a Cisco into the ER, but the Cisco was powered by its internal SMPS. With an Optical Module and/or Optical Rendu and careful attention to power supplies, I imagine the story might be different.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Excited to receive my ER yesterday and plugged to replace my "audiophile" switch as attached.  I am using power adapter comes with the ER.

1. I connected router>A, B>Aurender>mutec mc3>DAC; my Aurender conductor app cannot find my Aurender.

2. I connected both router and Aurender > A; my Aurender plays and SQ improves (music stores in the streamer HDD), but I found my NAS music no longer available.

3. I went to my PC and rebuilt the connection between Aurender and NAS music folder.  and at the same time,

4. Try unplug everything in the steamer loop and reconnect again as 1.  it works! and then plays for few songs: NAS music ok > Qobuz ok > NAS music ok > Tidal HiFi ......silent?? but the app showed it was playing without any sound, then I press "pause", the music pops up and then paused, then I press "previous" try to replay, it plays normally again, Tidal HiFi.

5. continue to 4, I tried to add more songs to the playlist while Aurender got disconnected suddenly,  I took a closer look to the Aurender front panel, it read "No IP" as shown in attached.

6. I switched Aurender off and on again, initially it still show no IP but finally got an IP address after 20 or 30 secs.  Then music play ok.

I am glad to hear that you are developing new firmware and hopefully it also could solve my issue described above too.

Thanks.

ether-regen q diagram.jpg

aurender no ip.jpg

Left my etherREGEN over night playing music to my Devialet Phantom (Qobuz) and it was still playing this morning. So I feel the Ubiquiti Router, FS SFP modules and etherREGEN are working well together in my second system. 

It was hot to the touch (using stock PSU) with a bare hand so I have borrowed a IR thermometer and will measure it later today to see what temperature it runs at.

Tonight I will swap out my Netgear switch and also place the etherREGEN on the wall so it gets better cooling and in my case the air from the fan cooling the cabinet will flow over it.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
6 minutes ago, _JL_ said:

I custom ordered heatsinks for the ER (and also Ultracap LPS).

This is something I also have considered if it still runs hot when mounted on the wall.

Where did you buy the heatsink?

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
42 minutes ago, octaviars said:

This is something I also have considered if it still runs hot when mounted on the wall.

Where did you buy the heatsink?

I got them from taobao. Need to custom order the heatsink in black. Here are the links:

Heatsink: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.1ef32e8dXghdMX&id=44236230101&_u=kbqvibi0b3a

Tape: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.1ef32e8dXghdMX&id=574145349272&_u=kbqvibi2d3c

I have some measurments of how hot my etherRegen runs, between 47-48C and the cabinet is around 29C and stock PSU.

Main system

Second system
22 minutes ago, ronfint said:

Thanks very much for solving this issue. I was one of those with connection problems. I've now disabled EEE on my AudioLinux Roon server, and all connections appear to be robust.

Hi @ronfint,

Would you mind sharing instructions for how to do this in Audiolinux?

Many thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

3 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi @ronfint,

Would you mind sharing instructions for how to do this in Audiolinux?

Many thanks,

Alan

Don't worry. Just saw Larry's post on the AL thread.

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

21 hours ago, dminches said:

Will turning EEE off on the computer feeding the EtherREGEN accomplish the same thing as your “fix.”

Yes, turning the EEE off on the device directly connected to the A side RJ45 is doing the same thing. Note that EEE only happens between PHYs connected by a cable. So a computer connected to the A port might have the issue, if there is a switch in between changing a setting on the computer would make no difference.

As I mentioned before, even if you connect a device that you know supports EEE, it may not have the problem. Some chips don't exhibit the problem and some do.

John S.