IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

16 minutes ago, lmitche said:

It seems to me this isn't a good time for Alex and John to be mKing any effort to argue design choices with "friends and partners". They are in the middle of a product rollout and major manufacturing push.

At a minimum this discussion, if it needs to continue, should be had in a another thead.

Don't try to curtail this discussion.

Also also, if you’re going to make things and sell things through this forum why don’t you sponsor it and pay Chris for your advertisement.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

No one is mitigating anyones choice here. Also we’re not talking about the A side of the device. Clearly anything connected to the A side will have no effect on the rest of the network upstream.

Not so clear to me. If you mean by upstream, back into the network I’d have to disagree. On the A side you are not isolated from the network so any noise you introduce there will have an impact, though that may well be attenuated by Johns work. But if you have something noisy like a “crappy endpoint” on the B side that won’t have any impact back into the network even though it will affect the associated DAC. That was what I was trying to say.

I have the same problem as some others.

Plugged in ER a few hours ago after receiving it today. It played fine for one song and then I couldn’t reconnect to my Ethernet dac.

I tested a lot of different things. And the only way to get connection was to take ER out of the system. Then I tested to connect the other way through the moat as others have reported. Since then it’s working fine for an hour now. And I like it 🤗

here is my setup:

Router > ER > Simaudio Moon 280D with ethernet card (Mind1)

when I played the first song I had Aqvox switch just before ER. But disconnected it to take one possible problem out of the equation.

I am a happy costumer and I will enjoy ER “backwards” confident that there will be a solution 🙂

18 minutes ago, Superdad said:

To any users who have experienced loss of connection:

We have fully figured out the issue and by the end of this week will be releasing a firmware update to eliminate the problem.

It is all an 'A'-side issue having to do with "Energy Efficient Ethernet" (EEE) and our main switch chip's poor support of such (discovered in an errata sheet for it released well after we had designed in the part). John thought he had already set the registers right in the firmware, but his deeper inspection last night revealed that his code was not setting the registers he thought it was. 

We certainly do not want anyone to become frustrated with use of their EtherREGEN, so if you are experiencing connectivity problems, please just set aside your EtherREGEN for a few days until we release the update.  

Of course we will explain everything and make the process simple.  The only tools required will be a Torx T10 screwdriver (or just bit tip) to remove one end panel of the case, and a standard USB 'A' to microUSB cable.  The actual process beyond that will be silly-simple.

The vast majority of EtherREGEN users are not experiencing any problems (their connected devices are not trying to use EEE), so those users will not need to update their firmware.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

--Alex C.

alex,

can you tell us what devices you've seen so far that try to use EEE?

2 minutes ago, cat6man said:

can you tell us what devices you've seen so far that try to use EEE?

Linux computers, Windows computers, some NAS, some routers, etc.  

There are commands to turn it off (some easy some hard), but I absolutely do not want to get into having people attempt to fix the issue that way.  Far better for us to take care of it in the switch chip. Networking software support is NOT how I want to spend my days! x-D

Presumably EtherRegens from “batch 2” onwards will have appropriately revised firmware to mitigate any EEE issues?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Linux computers, Windows computers, some NAS, some routers, etc.  

There are commands to turn it off (some easy some hard), but I absolutely do not want to get into having people attempt to fix the issue that way.  Far better for us to take care of it in the switch chip. Networking software support is NOT how I want to spend my days! x-D

will ER force them not to use

EEE or will it comply with the

EEE rules set by other units?

45 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

will ER force them not to use

EEE or will it comply with the

EEE rules set by other units?

The problem occurs every now and them. It seems to be random. This makes it incredibly difficult to test. EEE is agreed upon by auto-negotiation, the "fix" turns off the advertisement of EEE during auto-negotiation, thus preventing it from ever being used on it's ports, preventing the issues from happening.

So no, it will never properly perform EEE.

John S.

Will turning EEE off on the computer feeding the EtherREGEN accomplish the same thing as your “fix.”

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

9 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Anything not made by @vortecjr can be considered "crappy" in his world.  It's funny and ironic how he makes such broad assumptions without any measurements.   When in doubt, he also seems to hear a lot less than many others on this forum, which is always a convenient fallback position.

I think we do a pretty good job. I also take plenty of measurements, as does John, and sometimes I have been known to post them here but not everyone appreciates the message. However off the shelf boards are not going to have good oscillators and clean power regulation circuits feeding them. Also can’t ignore the fact that some DACs are using $12 network cards. 

1 minute ago, dminches said:

Will turning EEE off on the computer feeding the EtherREGEN accomplish the same thing as your “fix.”

Yes, it will. But as I stated before, please do not ask us to assist in this.

And turning it off on the computer does not address what a NAS or router might be doing with EEE.  

And though the errata sheet for our chip is not entirely clear, it is possible that EEE on one port may affect others.

Please understand gentlemen that our time this week is best spent working on the solution and the instructions for loading the new code.  The more hours spent on the forum or in e-mail (essentially my whole day so far), the longer it will take for the proper fix to be released. 9_9

Thanks. 

8 hours ago, lmitche said:

I am not trying to stop this discussion. I am trying to change when and at a minimum where it happens.

This thread is about EtherREGEN Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions and not a place to compare similar products. 

This is the perfect thread to discuss the installation and usage of the unit.

8 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

Not so clear to me. If you mean by upstream, back into the network I’d have to disagree. On the A side you are not isolated from the network so any noise you introduce there will have an impact, though that may well be attenuated by Johns work. But if you have something noisy like a “crappy endpoint” on the B side that won’t have any impact back into the network even though it will affect the associated DAC. That was what I was trying to say.

We are on the same page.