IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

8 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

Here is what I use:
Ubiquiti X-SFP router (properly configured), with 5 RJ45-ports and 1 SFP-port
Ubiquiti single-mode SFP LC-modules (Model UF-SM-1G-S)
    • Blue (1310/1550nm)
    • Yellow (1550/1310nm)
7m single-mode optical cable (one Yellow and one Green end):
    • Type: LC/UPC - LC/APC

If you dont get it to work even if the SFP port is part of the switch in your router I would get new SFP modules and cable.

Why did you get the BiDi SFP modules from Ubiquiti?

Just get their regular UF-MM-1G SFP modules and their multimode cable with dual LC connectors at each end. I have used that combo with my eR and that works.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
23 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Hi Tom,

this is a very unusual fiber system, not normally what is used. Almost everything else uses two fibers, one going in, one going out. The ones you have use a single fiber and combine both in and out on one fiber. This makes the SFP modules much more complicated than they need to be. As far as I can tell the reason they did this is to decrease the cost of the fiber for VERY long fiber runs (40KM!) In a typical audio system where you are not running the fiber to the next county I think this is not a good compromise. One of the problems is that systems designed for very long runs typically have high power lasers which when used with short fiber runs MAY overload the receiver.

I'm concerned about the cable. Is your cable a single fiber cable? If it has a yellow on one end and green on the other it will probably not work with your modules. Ubiquiti says the green type is angle polished which is designed for certain special situations and probably will not work with the modules you have. If you want to stick with this system you will need a yellow/yellow cable, unless someone from Ubiquiti specifically told you to use the yellow/green cable. (the "wrong type" ie green connector will make a poor interface to the module, but that might actually help with the overloading issue. But I would not assume this unless someone that REALLY knows the Ubiquiti fiber system said to do it that way.

I am NOT familiar with the Ubiquity fiber system, they are doing a lot of unusual things and I'm having a hard time figuring out what that cable IS and how it is supposed to be used. There is a very good probability that cable is the wrong thing to use with these modules.

Unless you are working with someone that knows the system I would recommend using the much more common SFP modules with a dual LC interface.

John S.

Thanks John Swenson for your elaborate response!

The Ubiquiti X-SFP is an advanced router dedicated for small businesses and offices. It's not plug & play and needed configuration. I chose it from audio user recommendations. The single-mode SFP's and cable was also recommended. The Ubiquiti will accept both single and dual-mode SFP's and cables. But since it's not a big deal, I will first try with another cable (yellow/yellow).
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you and Alex C for your wonderful products, that has brought completely new life into my aged analog tube amps and electrostatic/hybride speakers 🙂

Best regards
Tom G

UpTone JS-2 LPS (powering Mini / NAS / eR) > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK) > UpTone EtherREGEN > WD-NAS > Ubiquiti X-SFP Router > Cisco 2960 (SFP > eR SFP) > Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1.2) > UpTone IsoREGEN (LPS-1.2) > Denafrips Pontus R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson PV10 > QUAD 405-2 > SoundLab Dynastat Electrostatic/Hybride Speakers > Cables: Sablon Audio / Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent / Nordost

44 minutes ago, octaviars said:

If you dont get it to work even if the SFP port is part of the switch in your router I would get new SFP modules and cable.

Why did you get the BiDi SFP modules from Ubiquiti?

Just get their regular UF-MM-1G SFP modules and their multimode cable with dual LC connectors at each end. I have used that combo with my eR and that works.

Thanks octaviars!

I'm a network novice and most likely picked the wrong items when shopping. I will connect the Ubiquiti directly to my iMac tomorrow and check the settings for the SFP-port 😕 

UpTone JS-2 LPS (powering Mini / NAS / eR) > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK) > UpTone EtherREGEN > WD-NAS > Ubiquiti X-SFP Router > Cisco 2960 (SFP > eR SFP) > Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1.2) > UpTone IsoREGEN (LPS-1.2) > Denafrips Pontus R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson PV10 > QUAD 405-2 > SoundLab Dynastat Electrostatic/Hybride Speakers > Cables: Sablon Audio / Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent / Nordost

@TwinPeak if you have configured the router and it is up and running you can just use a webbrowser to log in to it. If you use the regular 192.168.1.1 network just use that in the browser to log in. 

User name and password by default is in the manual. 

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
15 hours ago, octaviars said:

@TwinPeak if you have configured the router and it is up and running you can just use a webbrowser to log in to it. If you use the regular 192.168.1.1 network just use that in the browser to log in. 

User name and password by default is in the manual. 

Hi octaviars, I have posted a message with some tech questions 🙂

Tom

I finally managed to connect Ubiquiti X-SFP router to the audio network and EtherREGEN - by SFP and a single-mode optical cable. User octaviars coached and instructed me until everything was up and running - by messages. The trick was some configuration via web-browser on Ubiquiti SFP-port setup - and also swapping ends of the single-mode optical cable so that the connection to EtherREGEN's SFP was Blue (UPC) and Ubiquiti was Green (APC). Bingo!

So how does it sound? Well, in my system the internet connection via EtherREGEN is actually only for being able to manage my Mac Mini and it's attached devices (NAS-disk and UltraRendu etc). But the absence of a "dirty" internet connection and a double galvanic optical isolation to EtherREGEN, Mac Mini & devices - do have an impact on sound quality: Blacker background, more dynamics, especially in low end frequencies and more clarity all over the register. I also listened for eventual "trade-offs" or something missing, but couldn't find anything. So I will call it a success and an improvement.

Tom

Hi community

My configuration is windows 10 that fucntions as Roon Core. It is connected by USB to my IFI PRO IDSD streaming  DAC.

I  play by Roon from Tidal and local  DSD/FLAC library I have on local drive of my windows 10 server.

I also use Spotify connect from my iphone/IPAD directly to the IFI DAC.

I plan to purchase EtherRegen. Which device shoiuld I connect side B to? The window server or the DAC  iteslef?

1 hour ago, Haimsh said:

My configuration is windows 10 that fucntions as Roon Core. It is connected by USB to my IFI PRO IDSD streaming  DAC.

I  play by Roon from Tidal and local  DSD/FLAC library I have on local drive of my windows 10 server.

I also use Spotify connect from my iphone/IPAD directly to the IFI DAC.

I plan to purchase EtherRegen. Which device shoiuld I connect side B to? The window server or the DAC  iteslef?

Hello:

Thank you for your question. The answer is a bit interesting--and also applies to others with DACs equipped with both USB and Ethernet inputs.

While even just the EtherREGEN's 'A' side is an exceptional switch in numerous ways (12-core-per port magnetics, femto clocking, 7 LT3045 voltage regulators, etc.), a lot of the "magic" happens by crossing our ADIM (Active Differential Isolation Moat) to the 'B' side (or going the other way--performance is symmetrical).

Yet whenever utilizing an isolation device, you want to be mindful to avoid making other connections that might fully or partially defeat that isolation.

Typical advised use for the EtherREGEN is always to connect the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint (or Ethernet input equipped DAC) to the 'B' side port--with all other Ethernet connections upstream, either on the 'A' ports or other upstream switch.

If you had just a computer (running Roon in your case) with USB connection to a DAC, you would feed that computer directly from the EtherREGEN's 'B' port.

If you used just the Ethernet connection of your DAC you would feed your DAC directly from the EtherREGEN's 'B' port and your computer and rest of network would be on the 'A' side and upstream.

Yet your iFi Pro iDSD DAC (as well as others such as PS Audio DirectStream, dCS, and others) is also itself equipped with an Ethernet input and due to your mix of playing network streams directly as well as local files, and you express desire to use both the USB and Ethernet inputs.  Now perhaps you can see how regardless of whether you feed the computer or the DAC directly from the 'B' port, maintaining the other connection to the DAC does somewhat of an end-run around the EtherREGEN's special isolation. That USB connection is bringing the ground, the leakage, and the ground-plane/clock-threshold-jitter perturbing elements of that connection to your DAC by going around the EtherREGEN. 

So it is really hard to say which way will sound best in you system: Putting the EtherREGEN just before the DAC (for its Ethernet connection) or putting it just before the computer (which has USB connection to the DAC).  You will want to experiment. Another option that might work and sound okay is to "turn around" the EtherREGEN ad run your network feed into the 'B' port--and then feed your computer and your DAC from two of the 'A' side ports. I think the result of that will depend a lot on the noise and leakage profile of your computer.

Best of all would be for you to find a way to cut back to either just USB or just Ethernet connection to your DAC.  But that would mean either:

a) finding a way to run your streams (just Spotify?; seems you have Tidal already through Roon) though the computer to go just USB;

or 

b) find a way to utilize the Pro iDSD as a Roon endpoint (I recall that iFi offers iFi Bridge software, a UPnP/DLNA plug-in which allows you to use the Pro iDSD as a Roon endpoint).

Hope the above all makes sense.  Do experiment. You can't go wrong with any method and we do have a bunch of happy Pro iDSD owners with EtherREGEN.

Best,

--Alex C.

8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hello:

Thank you for your question. The answer is a bit interesting--and also applies to others with DACs equipped with both USB and Ethernet inputs.

While even just the EtherREGEN's 'A' side is an exceptional switch in numerous ways (12-core-per port magnetics, femto clocking, 7 LT3045 voltage regulators, etc.), a lot of the "magic" happens by crossing our ADIM (Active Differential Isolation Moat) to the 'B' side (or going the other way--performance is symmetrical).

Yet whenever utilizing an isolation device, you want to be mindful to avoid making other connections that might fully or partially defeat that isolation.

Typical advised use for the EtherREGEN is always to connect the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint (or Ethernet input equipped DAC) to the 'B' side port--with all other Ethernet connections upstream, either on the 'A' ports or other upstream switch.

If you had just a computer (running Roon in your case) with USB connection to a DAC, you would feed that computer directly from the EtherREGEN's 'B' port.

If you used just the Ethernet connection of your DAC you would feed your DAC directly from the EtherREGEN's 'B' port and your computer and rest of network would be on the 'A' side and upstream.

Yet your iFi Pro iDSD DAC (as well as others such as PS Audio DirectStream, dCS, and others) is also itself equipped with an Ethernet input and due to your mix of playing network streams directly as well as local files, and you express desire to use both the USB and Ethernet inputs.  Now perhaps you can see how regardless of whether you feed the computer or the DAC directly from the 'B' port, maintaining the other connection to the DAC does somewhat of an end-run around the EtherREGEN's special isolation. That USB connection is bringing the ground, the leakage, and the ground-plane/clock-threshold-jitter perturbing elements of that connection to your DAC by going around the EtherREGEN. 

So it is really hard to say which way will sound best in you system: Putting the EtherREGEN just before the DAC (for its Ethernet connection) or putting it just before the computer (which has USB connection to the DAC).  You will want to experiment. Another option that might work and sound okay is to "turn around" the EtherREGEN ad run your network feed into the 'B' port--and then feed your computer and your DAC from two of the 'A' side ports. I think the result of that will depend a lot on the noise and leakage profile of your computer.

Best of all would be for you to find a way to cut back to either just USB or just Ethernet connection to your DAC.  But that would mean either:

a) finding a way to run your streams (just Spotify?; seems you have Tidal already through Roon) though the computer to go just USB;

or 

b) find a way to utilize the Pro iDSD as a Roon endpoint (I recall that iFi offers iFi Bridge software, a UPnP/DLNA plug-in which allows you to use the Pro iDSD as a Roon endpoint).

Hope the above all makes sense.  Do experiment. You can't go wrong with any method and we do have a bunch of happy Pro iDSD owners with EtherREGEN.

Best,

--Alex C.

Thanks Alex. Unfortunately,  IFI  PRO IDSD  is not Roon endpoint , The work around solution  of IFI Bridge is very limited. It does not support DSD  and convert PCM  to 44khz....

I use Spotify on top of Tidal as variety of tracks and playlists is much better in Spotify (especially in Hebrew...). I also use airplay from my iphone.

Looks like I need 2 "B" ports...

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

No you don't. Just try my suggestion to turn around EtherREGEN and run B>A.  We went to extra trouble and expense to make the EtherREGEN symmetrical about its moat (i.e. differential clocking and reclocking and all super voltage regulation is the same both sides) just so that B>A performance would be equal to A>B. Main reason we did it was for optical endpoint users (opticalRendu), but there are other uses for B>A connection, such as multiple endpoints. B|

Thanks Alex, what is the downside of this option B>A? Am I losing the gigabit option?

14 hours ago, Haimsh said:

Thanks Alex, what is the downside of this option B>A?

No downside.  It is just that there is only one 'B' side port which of course will need to receive network feed. So if you have other upstream network gear in the same room you would need to put a small switch before that--for more ports--and then feed EtherREGEN 'B' port from that switch.

Am I losing the gigabit option?

Sorry, either I do not understand the question or you are not clear on the capability of EtherREGEN's various ports.

The four copper RJ45 ports on its 'A' side are capable of negotiating to 10/100/1000 (Gigabit). The SFP cage (typically for an optical transceiver) is Gigabit only.

The lone 'B' side port is 100Mbps only. 

So you can see that throughput from A>B or B>A (really Ethernet itself is bi-directional) can never really be more than 100Mbps. Regardless of the fact any Gigabit devices connected to 'A' side ports will negotiate with the EtherREGEN to Gigabit--there is the "slowdown" in/out the 'B' side port.  (Still plenty of bandwidth for even DSD512 and most 4K video streams.)

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks and have a lovely weekend,

--Alex C.

Hi, There are still some people on the Roon forum refusing to understand that a switch can improve the playback of networked streaming.

I know I shouldn’t engage, as their minds are closed, believing that it is just 1 & 0’s etc., however what is the present installed base of EtherRegens now worldwide (shipped & returned)?

6 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

Hi, There are still some people on the Roon forum refusing to understand that a switch can improve the playback of networked streaming.

I know I shouldn’t engage, as their minds are closed, believing that it is just 1 & 0’s etc., however what is the present installed base of EtherRegens now worldwide (shipped & returned)?

These are the same people who say Roon is the best sounding media player also!! I wouldn't waste your time....

2 hours ago, thyname said:

Unfortunately Roon forum is dominated by a handful of people who believe NOTHING can improve anything. It’s not worth engaging, as they will pile on you as a bunch of hyenas. 

Yep, been there, done that along with thyname. Definitely reminiscent of a certain political party in their stubbornness. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: 10Gtek FMC>Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

On 8/27/2020 at 5:17 PM, Superdad said:

Main reason we did it was for optical endpoint users (opticalRendu), but there are other uses for B>A connection, such as multiple endpoints.

On 8/27/2020 at 4:44 PM, Superdad said:

Another option that might work and sound okay is to "turn around" the EtherREGEN ad run your network feed into the 'B' port--and then feed your computer and your DAC from two of the 'A' side ports. I think the result of that will depend a lot on the noise and leakage profile of your computer.

Since I got my etherRegen I only use it with an opticalrendu, as I can off cause only go B>A. Haven’t followed this tread much. So suddenly this week I was thinking that I should at least be able to use one out of the 4 RJ45 interfaces available without any possible affect on the opticalRendu.

In the early days we where told that more devices on A if you using the A side as endpoint side may affect your endpoint. (Input is B. Output is A). I can’t remember if this also included the use of the opticalRendu. 

Without the need to go into details (noice and leakage profile) what may or may not happen if you “turn around” I have this one question. 

Can I have some sort of quarantine that the optical port and use of one (and only one) RJ45 in addition can’t affect each other on A side ?

What sort of issue could occur ? Nothing related to shield or ground, as fiber rule that out. 
This other device I was thinking about was an Apple TV, but I may also test out my SonicTransporter. 

Then there must be some sort of phase noice or jitter from one of the other items, but can that or something else really occur.  (I will only connect one I think, as two may be more complicated, as discussed and explained many times). 

I have an unused optical module bought long time ago, as well as a Cisco 2960 (gigabyte version) thats on it’s way. 
My idea is just to put a better switch in front of the etherRegen. (Replacing present one). 

If anyone has a suggestion of trying something I haven’t taught about, I’m listening. The only thing I can think about is letting the OM feed the Cisco, but it seems not as a good idea. And feeding the B side with the OM isn’t possible. 

28 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

In the early days we where told that more devices on A if you using the A side as endpoint side may affect your endpoint. (Input is B. Output is A).

The recommendation was somewhat theoretical, and it indeed there will be less interaction between an ‘A’ side copper port and the ‘A’ side SFP with an optical transceiver. So why not give it a try yourself and see hear how it sounds? :D

Based on the discussion immediately above, I think I might have an answer to the question I am posing below, but just to be sure here goes.

I just bought and will soon receive both an EtherREGEN and an opticalRendu Lite (Roon only). The latter is part of Small Green Computer's "bundle" that includes a media converter, a 1-meter length of fiber optical cable, and two SFP modules (one for the Rendu, one for the media converter), as well as a power supply ... it's quite a bargain IMHO. 

I currently have an inexpensive, $20 T-P Link gigabit switch in my computer room, into which are plugged a router, a SonicOrbiter server, and a 30-foot  standard-issue CAT6A Ethernet cable that runs from the switch in my computer room through the walls to my listening room. Only my stereo equipment is hardwired to the network. Everything else internet-connected in my house is on WiFi and seems to be doing fine that way.

So here's my question. I can see three ways to configure the new equipment, two of which utilize my existing switch and one of which does not. Which option should I use, and why?

Option 1 (Use Existing Switch and Media Converter): In my computer room, connect the EtherREGEN "A" side to my existing switch and connect the 30-foot CAT6A cable to the "B" side of the EtherREGEN. In my listening room, connect the other end of the CAT6A cable into the media converter. Connect the 1-meter length of fiber optical cable to the optical output of the media converter and the input of the opticalRendu. Connect the Rendu to my DAC over USB.

Option 2 (Remove Existing Switch; Use Media Converter): In my computer room, replace my existing switch with the EtherREGEN, connecting my internet router and SonicOrbiter server to the "A" side of the EtherREGEN and the 30-foot CAT6A to the "B" side of the EtherREGEN. In my listening room, set up the same as in Option 1.

Option 3: (Use Existing Switch; use EtherREGEN instead of Media Converter): In my computer room, leave the equipment set up "As-Is" (i.e., router, SonicOrbiter, and 30-foot run of CAT6A connected to my existing switch). In my listening room, connect the other end of the 30-foot CAT6A to the "B" side of the EtherREGEN. Connect the 1-meter length of fiber optical cable to the optical output on the "A" side of the EtherREGEN and to the opticalRendu. Connect the Rendu to my DAC over USB.

Please note that I am assuming I will continue using the 30-foot run of CAT6A to connect the two rooms. If there is a reason for replacing the CAT6A with fiber optic cable, I am open to the suggestion ... just tell me why, because running the cable through the walls of my old house was a pain in the rear, and although I know theoretically I could tie or tape one end of a fiber optic cable to my existing CAT6A and try to pull it through that way, there are bumps and obstacles in the walls that could make that an additional pain in the rear.

And ... THANKS!!!

JiLS

sonicTransporter i9 > opticalRendu > T+A DAC 8 DSD > Primare PRE35 > Primare A35.2 > PSB Synchrony Two speakers + REL T/9i subwoofers

I would go with option 3 in this case.

John S.

1 hour ago, jiminlogansquare said:

Based on the discussion immediately above, I think I might have an answer to the question I am posing below, but just to be sure here goes.

I just bought and will soon receive both an EtherREGEN and an opticalRendu Lite (Roon only). The latter is part of Small Green Computer's "bundle" that includes a media converter, a 1-meter length of fiber optical cable, and two SFP modules (one for the Rendu, one for the media converter), as well as a power supply ... it's quite a bargain IMHO. 

I currently have an inexpensive, $20 T-P Link gigabit switch in my computer room, into which are plugged a router, a SonicOrbiter server, and a 30-foot  standard-issue CAT6A Ethernet cable that runs from the switch in my computer room through the walls to my listening room. Only my stereo equipment is hardwired to the network. Everything else internet-connected in my house is on WiFi and seems to be doing fine that way.

So here's my question. I can see three ways to configure the new equipment, two of which utilize my existing switch and one of which does not. Which option should I use, and why?

Option 1 (Use Existing Switch and Media Converter): In my computer room, connect the EtherREGEN "A" side to my existing switch and connect the 30-foot CAT6A cable to the "B" side of the EtherREGEN. In my listening room, connect the other end of the CAT6A cable into the media converter. Connect the 1-meter length of fiber optical cable to the optical output of the media converter and the input of the opticalRendu. Connect the Rendu to my DAC over USB.

Option 2 (Remove Existing Switch; Use Media Converter): In my computer room, replace my existing switch with the EtherREGEN, connecting my internet router and SonicOrbiter server to the "A" side of the EtherREGEN and the 30-foot CAT6A to the "B" side of the EtherREGEN. In my listening room, set up the same as in Option 1.

Option 3: (Use Existing Switch; use EtherREGEN instead of Media Converter): In my computer room, leave the equipment set up "As-Is" (i.e., router, SonicOrbiter, and 30-foot run of CAT6A connected to my existing switch). In my listening room, connect the other end of the 30-foot CAT6A to the "B" side of the EtherREGEN. Connect the 1-meter length of fiber optical cable to the optical output on the "A" side of the EtherREGEN and to the opticalRendu. Connect the Rendu to my DAC over USB.

Please note that I am assuming I will continue using the 30-foot run of CAT6A to connect the two rooms. If there is a reason for replacing the CAT6A with fiber optic cable, I am open to the suggestion ... just tell me why, because running the cable through the walls of my old house was a pain in the rear, and although I know theoretically I could tie or tape one end of a fiber optic cable to my existing CAT6A and try to pull it through that way, there are bumps and obstacles in the walls that could make that an additional pain in the rear.

And ... THANKS!!!

I would go with option 3.

John S.

11 hours ago, jiminlogansquare said:

And ... THANKS!!!

Option 3. But here's an idea: get a bit better switch in the computer room, one that has a fiber out on it, and then go fiber out of the switch to the 10GTek, 30 ft of ethernet to etherRegen, and then optical to the oR. Pretty much what I'm doing now, except with two opticalModules. That way you would have two complete optical bridges on either side of that 30 ft run. Another thing that makes a big difference is iFi AC iPurifier(s) in the computer room. I'm using two and it cleaned up a lot of 'glare.' 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: 10Gtek FMC>Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Thanks, all. Based on these recommendations and some offline advice, I have decided to go with Option 3 and also upgrade to a Sonore power supply for the opticalRendu. As a result, I no longer will need the SGC power supply that was the main reason I had originally decided on SGC's oR "bundle." For now I won't have the 10GTek media converter to play with. But I will remember @charlesphoto's advice next time upgrade-itis strikes!

JiLS

sonicTransporter i9 > opticalRendu > T+A DAC 8 DSD > Primare PRE35 > Primare A35.2 > PSB Synchrony Two speakers + REL T/9i subwoofers

hello, my first post here. I just got my etherregen connected to the ref10 master clock. I realised if I turned off the ref10, the etherregen will stop forwarding packets to the B port where my endpoint is connected.

Even if the ref10 is turned on again, the packets do not get sent over to the endpoint. I'll need to power-cycle the Regen.

Is this a normal behaviour? Can I NOT need to power-cycle the Regen short of keeping my ref10 on 24/7?