Jump to content
IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread


Recommended Posts

On 7/10/2020 at 11:05 PM, kzs70 said:

 

Thanks, I have found it, the OM seems to be only 1Gbit compatible, so does not work with ER's 100Mbit port on the B side...

Use the fiber port. 😀

AMP: Electrocompaniet ECI-6D; DAC: Oppo 205 (modded); ECI-6D

Streamer/endpoint: Zen MKIII/ultraRendu; Speakers: Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature; Cables: Speakers (Acoustic Revive) + RCA (au24sx) + RJ45 (Vodka Audioquest) + USB (Diamond Audioquest) + Power (Pangea's + Actinote's) + iR&oM (Neotech 16AWG OCC Silver + DC 4); Filters/reclockers: Jensen VRD- iFF + Pink Faun Isolator + Acoustic Revive RGC-24 + HMS “The Perfect Match” + isoRegen; Switch: etherRegen + opticalModule; Cisco 2960; LPS: Sboosters MKI & MKII (+ ultra) + HDplex 200 + LPS 1.2

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, I'm looking forward to receiving my ER.  Order placed.

 

While I'm waiting...I'm pondering various setup configurations.  The question I have is whether my 4K smart tv should be connected to the ER (A side)?  Or should I keep my TV away from the the ER?  I stream tv with Verizon Fios Gigabit service.  The option would be to go wireless for my TV.

 

Thanks for recommendations.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> AQCinnamon --> microRendu 1.4 / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

Hi guys, I'm looking forward to receiving my ER.  Order placed.

 

While I'm waiting...I'm pondering various setup configurations.  The question I have is whether my 4K smart tv should be connected to the ER (A side)?  Or should I keep my TV away from the the ER?  I stream tv with Verizon Fios Gigabit service.  The option would be to go wireless for my TV.

 

Thanks for recommendations.


As a general rule, you probably want to keep WiFi devices away from you music components. That said, my question has always been do devices like WiFi enabled TV’s turnoff their WiFi capabilities when they are hardwired (Ethernet) to network. If not, then it may not matter whether you use WiFi or Ethernet because the WiFi signal is still transmitting.

 

For the record, my TV and Roku Ultra are hardwired through my music switch.

Eric


Ubuntu Studio Linux box (i7-9700, 8 cores, 16GB RAM, Intel X520-DA1 NIC, Roon, HQP) > fiber optic > MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+ > fiber optic > opticalRendu (HQP NAA) > Holo Cyan (DSD version) > Nord One UP NC500MB mono blocks > Klipsch La Scala — digital volume control with HQP via Roon client, DSP with HQP convolution engine

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ericuco said:


As a general rule, you probably want to keep WiFi devices away from you music components. That said, my question has always been do devices like WiFi enabled TV’s turnoff their WiFi capabilities when they are hardwired (Ethernet) to network. If not, then it may not matter whether you use WiFi or Ethernet because the WiFi signal is still transmitting.

 

For the record, my TV and Roku Ultra are hardwired through my music switch.

 

Yep good point about avoiding wireless TV near my hi-fi.  I can also just add a second switch before the ER.  That's probably the best solution if ER can't do 4k TV.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> AQCinnamon --> microRendu 1.4 / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2020 at 2:04 PM, mourip said:

  

I tried it both ways and decided that having other equipment connected through the "A" side other than just the direct connection to my music server degraded the sound noticeably

 

Same here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oggo said:

 

Same here.

 

Surely this is only an issue if both devices are running simultaneously - i.e. in this case, my hifi and TV?  This is something I don't expect to happen.....

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> AQCinnamon --> microRendu 1.4 / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

 

Surely this is only an issue if both devices are running simultaneously - i.e. in this case, my hifi and TV?  This is something I don't expect to happen.....

When I listen to music I do not have my TV or streaming boxes powered on. I think that the issue probably comes from grounding pollution. My audio system is basically all using one unfiltered power strip connected to AC through an isolation transformer. When I plug other devices from my "dirty" side into the ER "A" side along with my audio server it probably still adds noise or introduces additional ground currents.

 

This is just a theory or guess. All I know is that in my system and with my own ears when I plug in these other devices to the ER it degrades the sound.

 

Give it a try and report back what you hear.


"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2020 at 7:04 PM, mourip said:

  

I tried it both ways and decided that having other equipment connected through the "A" side other than just the direct connection to my music server degraded the sound noticeably, probably due to polluting the server. For a while I would unplug the other devices from the ER when listening to music but that was a pain. Since I did not really note an improvement in my video and video sound anyway I plugged those connections back into the small upstream 8 port Cisco switch which was common to all. A fiber LAN connection to the ER with only my music server on the "A" side would probably be best but I have not tried that yet. My guess is that all of these audible changes are about grounding and which devices are on an LPS and which still use an SMPS.

 

I’d like to report the opposite. 

 

I experience noticeable picture quality improvement going ER(A) to MacMini (Tv).  No detriment to the signal quality from the B side. 

 

To be on the safe side, I have grounded both my ER’s. 

 

Speaking of which, I was so impressed with the video improvement, that I purchased a second ER, initially to feed my MacMini exclusively, but then I discovered the benefits of chaining the two ER’s. The MacMini is connected to the 2nd ER(A), so there’s one pass through the B port. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 2]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]


Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

 

I’d like to report the opposite. 

 

I experience noticeable picture quality improvement going ER(A) to MacMini (Tv).  No detriment to the signal quality from the B side. 

 

To be on the safe side, I have grounded both my ER’s. 

 

Speaking of which, I was so impressed with the video improvement, that I purchased a second ER, initially to feed my MacMini exclusively, but then I discovered the benefits of chaining the two ER’s. The MacMini is connected to the 2nd ER(A), so there’s one pass through the B port. 

 

Good to hear. It could be that my 10 year old Pioneer Elite Plasma TV and older streaming devices(Apple TV and Roku) are not current enough to benefit. And that my audio system is pretty revealing.

 

The nice thing about this thread is that we honor subjective appraisals!

 

Thanks for the report!


"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes!
Supra Cat-8 deliver better resolution and bass compared to AudioQuest Cinnamon Ethernet cable after only two hours of action, between EtherREGEN (B-side) and Sonore UltraRendu. I expect more in coming hours. I've also required an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP. To be ethernet connected between my Airport Extreme (DHCP & NAT) and configured Ubiquiti. Maybe a better alternative to Fiber..?

UpTone JS-2 LPS (powering EtherREGEN / Mac Mini + NAS) > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK) > UpTone EtherREGEN > WD-NAS > Ubiquiti X-SFP Router > Cisco 2960 (SFP > eR SFP) > Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1.2) > UpTone IsoREGEN (LPS-1.2) > Denafrips Pontus R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson PV10 > QUAD 405-2 > SoundLab Dynastat Electrostatic/Hybride Speakers > Cables: Sablon Audio / Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent / Nordost

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

It would be interesting if 2 or 3 persons that can hear differences between Ethernet cables,  could test Ghent Belden, Supra Cat 8, and Blue Jeans

 

I haven't tried the Ghent cable, but I have compared the standard stranded copper Belden CatSnake Cat6a that Ghent use against the Blue Jeans cables (Belden solid copper Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat6a) and Supra Cat8 and much prefer it: it has greater bass extension and overall instrumental texture and detail with a broad and deep but natural soundstage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I briefly tried BJC Cat 6a vs my Ghent JSSG Catsnake on the last leg to the streamer. Preferred the Catsnake, though the differences are subtle. Will continue to use BJC 6a for the rest of the chain. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: 10Gtek FMC>Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ponkbutler said:

 

I haven't tried the Ghent cable, but I have compared the standard stranded copper Belden CatSnake Cat6a that Ghent use against the Blue Jeans cables (Belden solid copper Cat5e, Cat6 and Cat6a) and Supra Cat8 and much prefer it: it has greater bass extension and overall instrumental texture and detail with a broad and deep but natural soundstage.

Do I understand correctly: you prefer the Ghent Belden CAT 6a over the rest?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Horse Tea said:

Do I understand correctly: you prefer the Ghent Belden CAT 6a over the rest?

 

As I wrote, it wasn't the Ghent, but the same cable they use: Belden 1303E CatSnake Cat6a - in my case made up DesignaCable in the UK.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TwinPeak said:

Supra Cat-8 deliver better resolution and bass compared to AudioQuest Cinnamon Ethernet cable

Later in the evening, I continued listening to Supra Cat8 (eR B-side > uR) and now it seem to affect imaging and sound stage in a positive way - Pat Metheny's "What's It All About" and Michael Manring's "Selene" (live) sound more organic and natural. The speakers "disappeared" completely. Strange that a 20$ ethernet cable can have such an impact...

UpTone JS-2 LPS (powering EtherREGEN / Mac Mini + NAS) > Mac Mini (UpTone MMK) > UpTone EtherREGEN > WD-NAS > Ubiquiti X-SFP Router > Cisco 2960 (SFP > eR SFP) > Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1.2) > UpTone IsoREGEN (LPS-1.2) > Denafrips Pontus R2R DAC > Conrad Johnson PV10 > QUAD 405-2 > SoundLab Dynastat Electrostatic/Hybride Speakers > Cables: Sablon Audio / Ghent Audio (JSSG360) / AudioQuest / PS Audio / Transparent / Nordost

Link to post
Share on other sites

@TwinPeak

 

I too think the Supra 8+ is pretty good. But it is $49 for 1M. If you can get it for $20, please share the link. Thanks

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > 3' Monoprice Cat 5e from router to wall > 15-20' Cat 5e run under house to audio room >  3' Supra 8+ from wall to EtherREGEN "A" side (ER has SR4T LPS + PH DC3FSXLR cable) > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

 

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a time when I thought like some others that Ethernet cables couldn't make a difference but then I started researching to find that digital data is positively affected by silver in the metallic structure.  I ended up with Diamond and Vodka.  Then I acquired the EtherRegan and decided to eliminate wi-fi in my home in order to protect my brain from it's radiation.  The manufacturer of my tube gear convinced me to use power adapters to transport data from my main floor to the second floor where my audio room is and the sound quality improved using CAT8 cable from Amazon.  After reading the many posts here regarding Ethernet cables, I went searching again for better cable and discovered Pangea Premiere SE that uses Cardas copper wire with 6% silver and triple shielding. 2M was about $80Cdn so I bought 2 pieces and one comes from the power adapter to the EtherRegen A side and the other from the A side to my laptop that I use to connect to Volumio.  After 72 hours of burn-in they actually bettered the Vodka.  The moral of the story is to use as much silver content as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bazza13--Small quibble with your conclusion.  Maybe use some silver content, but until you test 90-100% silver cables, you conclusion over-reaches the experiment you have performed.  It would be interesting to try higher content/other cables.  But with so many variables, hard to do.  Does Pangea make a similar cable with Cardas with higher silver content?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the other hand, I would never put ethernet through my power lines.  I do all I can to eliminate mains-borne noise so I'm not going to inject more noise in.  I use two regenerators and a lot of filters to reduce the noise in my mains power.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore ultraRendu streamer > Mutec MC-3+ USB reclocker > LKS MH-DA004 DAC > Burson AB-160 XLR buffer > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. BG7TBL master clock. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators AudioQuest, Coherent, MCRU & Wireworld cables

https://theaudiostandard.net

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bailyhill said:

Bazza13--Small quibble with your conclusion.  Maybe use some silver content, but until you test 90-100% silver cables, you conclusion over-reaches the experiment you have performed.  It would be interesting to try higher content/other cables.  But with so many variables, hard to do.  Does Pangea make a similar cable with Cardas with higher silver content?

 

Pangea has only 2 models, both with 6% silver and the SE model uses the Cardas wire and is a bit more expensive.  I have 100% silver HDMI cables and have never been able to duplicate the performance with any copper cable. I think that solid core wire is also important to higher performance over multi-strand wire and in digital, triple shielding is needed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MartinT said:

On the other hand, I would never put ethernet through my power lines.  I do all I can to eliminate mains-borne noise so I'm not going to inject more noise in.  I use two regenerators and a lot of filters to reduce the noise in my mains power.

I initially thought the same as you - that power lines must add noise.  I was proven wrong after testing SQ from wi-fi vs power adapters.  Perhaps it is because digital data is not affected as much as a analog signal.  I also use a regenerator because mains power is usually corrupted and that affects power supplies in components.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...