IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

On 2/5/2020 at 6:58 PM, Superdad said:

But keep an eye on your LPS-1.2

ok: now powering the ER from an HD-Plex 100 and moved the LPS 1.2 to the USBRegen in my secondary system 

so far no issues (but took about a week for the ER to start acting when powered by the UltraCaps LPS)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

2 hours ago, ambre said:

I have a question where to place at best the ER  (B-side) my chain due to the fact that I

use Bridged Mode Mac mini 2018.

Just another input while you are waiting for Alex...I have the best benefit by placing ER right before the last Ethernet device connected to the DAC, in my case, that is my endpoint (streamer), in your diagram, it will be the Allo USB Bridge Signature.

5 hours ago, ambre said:

Hi Superdad,

I have a question where to place at best the ER  (B-side) my chain due to the fact that I

use Bridged Mode Mac mini 2018. I have look at the website but could not  find the answer.

I also use in my chain the Allo USBridge Signature followed by the Uptone ISO regen.

Please see attached flowchart.

Would the ER benefit my signal before or after the Mac mini? 

Or do I have too many Uptone devices in my setup and does the ER add little or nothing in terms of SQ?

Very best regards. Andreas 

Hi Andreas:

You will get best performance (both Saturday sonically and functionally/reliably) with the EtherREGEN by ceasing use of “bridge mode” with your Mac mini. This has been confirmed by both Mac and PC users.

Simply plug two cables into ‘A’ side EtherREGEN ports: One from your other upstream switch, the other from your Mac mini. Then plug one cable from the ‘B’ port to your Allo USBridge Signature.

Optionally, you might try connecting the network feed (to the EtherREGEN) directly from your router, skipping the other upstream switch shown in  your diagram.

Also, be sure to load Allo’s most current Ethernet drivers as they recently solved a widespread compatabily issue that affected connections to 100Mbps connections and hi-res data for USBridge Signature users.

Hope the above is helpful to you.

Best,

—Alex C.

Thanks Alex,

Just ordered  the ER.

Many thanks from the Netherlands.

Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

Hey guys,

I'm a new poster so excuse me if my questions seem a bit simple. Have any of you guys run a ground cable from your etherregen and if so what type of cable did you use or does it really even matter. Im planning on buying a high quality plug and wiring the ground pin then plugging it into an unused power receptacle. Just curious how you guys are earthing the etherregen and what you are using to do it. Thanks!!!!

Ron

Welcome Ron.  I am a Newbie as well.  I have the ER from it's grounding post and all of my components chassis grounded to a grounding station with inexpensive copper wire.  Some say wire like Cardas is better but I'm not worried about it.  I just sense slightly less hash.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, ikemi said:

Hey guys,

I'm a new poster so excuse me if my questions seem a bit simple. Have any of you guys run a ground cable from your etherregen and if so what type of cable did you use or does it really even matter. Im planning on buying a high quality plug and wiring the ground pin then plugging it into an unused power receptacle. Just curious how you guys are earthing the etherregen and what you are using to do it. Thanks!!!!

Ron

Entre Eartha Olympus to Shunyata Denali

BD96ACDA-AA25-478C-8AA6-F8A39D8C0634.jpeg

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Entreq

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

12 hours ago, Rhed6 said:

Thinking of getting a ER for my very first 2 channel setup. Want to know if this would be the proper chain. Very simple setup..
Router> switch> ER> windows laptop> ISO REGEN (with LPS 1.2)> DAC (Pre Box S2d)

Have you  considered improving your source first? The idea with the ER is to isolate a low noise source/endpoint from other noise on the network. A laptop is inherently noisy so I'm not sure the ER will help you out much. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
16 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

Have you  considered improving your source first? The idea with the ER is to isolate a low noise source/endpoint from other noise on the network. A laptop is inherently noisy so I'm not sure the ER will help you out much. 

I would agree. EtherRegen is best suited to renderers directly connected to the network. 

There are other methods for USB, for that there’s scope for experimentation, isolators, regeneration, cabling and so on.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

18 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

I thought the ISO REGEN/ UltraCap lps-1.2 will cleanup any noise after the laptop? Anyways I’m new to real two channel setups. So still learning. My main use is for streaming tidal and iTunes. I’m not going to use any headphones with my setup. It’ll go directly to my front main amps then to my home entertainment speakers. As far as noise, where should I start from? My family all use WiFi in house. And my home system is the only one hardwired to a switch. 2 ports goes to Xbox and ps4. But not always on. And another port is planned for my music stream. Everything else in my system is WiFi. 

@Rhed6 That is true that the IR cleans up USB noise, but it only does so much. 

I just don't think you see any benefit using the ER before your laptop because your laptop will still be the weak link in the chain. 

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 minute ago, Rhed6 said:

I thought the ISO REGEN/ UltraCap lps-1.2 will cleanup any noise after the laptop? Anyways I’m new to real two channel setups. So still learning. My main use is for streaming tidal and iTunes. I’m not going to use any headphones with my setup. It’ll go directly to my front main amps then to my home entertainment speakers. As far as noise, where should I start from? My family all use WiFi in house. And my home system is the only one hardwired to a switch. 2 ports goes to Xbox and ps4. But not always on. And another port is planned for my music stream. Everything else in my system is WiFi. 

The important thing to do would be to make sure the laptop is on the B side and everything else is on the A side. A laptop isn’t ideal, but then what is? 

3 hours ago, Rhed6 said:

I’m assuming a Mac mini would also be like a laptop? Noisy?

Yes, but a Mac Mini can be made to sound a lot better with Uptone’s MMK plus a JS-2.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256