IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

1 hour ago, Cable Monkey said:

I thought the issue with the AudioLinux hacks was that they remove the ability to auto negotiate and force the NUC to communicate at 10Mb/s. Thus you have one stuck at 10 and the other stuck at 100. 

By hack, do you mean the Audiolinux expert menu choice used to control Ethernet speed?

This menu option uses ethtool to set various parameters. Any setting one likes, auto negotiation on or off, or various speeds such as 1Gbs, 100Mbs or 10Mbs can be configured from the CLI.

Left to default settings, AL will negotiate appropriate link parameters with the ER.

If you choose an unsupported speed, and disable negotiation, the ER is likely to have issues. Be careful, a little knowledge here is dangerous.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

4 hours ago, Ponkbutler said:

i currently use two Catalyst 2960 PD routers in my system with a similar configuration to what you recommend for the ER. This yields positive SQ benefits compared to just the one. I am about to buy an ER in the UK. In your experience and that of users, would there be any benefit to using two ER switches in my installation in the same way (so that one is also used as the “main switch”)? FWIW the system streams Quobuz to a Roon Nucleus with internal SSD to feed a Naim ND555 streamer/router.

MTIA

Mike

Hello Ponkbutler--Not quite your case, but may be relevant.  I too have a single Catalyst 2960 feeding my system.(used to have an ND555).  I added the ER and things were better with the ER.  Also 2 switches better than ER alone.  I plug everything into the Catalyst (Router, Nucleus+, and Naim Unity Core) and then a single copper ethernet to the A side of the ER and then a single copper ethernet cable from the B port on the ER to the DAC.  This gives the best SQ.  Makes we wonder if 2 ER's would be better.  Using the stock ps.  TIDAL to Nucleus+.  No optical involved.  Router is 5 meters away from ER.  Using 1 meter BJ cables to connect all else.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:18 PM, Superdad said:

I think you have previously asked me this. My answer was and still is that I have never tested the Keces P8 and can only go on what the manufacturer states. My suggestion was that you check the outputs with a meter to see if their zero-volt/-VE "grounds" are indeed independent of each other.

I will purchase an Allo Nirvana SMPS for the RPI in my DigiOne just to be sure and isolate A and B side consequencently. 

The Allo SMPS supports a ground shunt as yours and other tweaks (should sound like a LPS...). This should be fine for my RPI. The spare 5V out from my Keces is then used for my iPad to charge while „always on“ with Roon. 

On 11/20/2019 at 10:28 AM, octaviars said:

I have some measurments of how hot my etherRegen runs, between 47-48C and the cabinet is around 29C and stock PSU.

How did you measure the temperature?  Do you have a nifty gauge?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

On 12/2/2019 at 4:20 PM, Superdad said:

Hi:

While I am not sure of the cause of the problem you are experiencing, I can say with certainty that it is NOT a temperature issue. We torture-tested EtherREGEN units for quite some time at very high heats.

I'd like to know a little more about your Audionet DNP and what Ethernet input card it uses (their own design or perhaps licensed from Conversdigital or the Swiss company that used to be known as ABCpcb).

Can you do a test with everything on the 'A' side jacks of the EtherREGEN? Do you still have connection issues then? And are you certain that the new firmware flashed correctly (virtual drive disappearing upon copy is the only confirmation)?

Please keep us posted. Thanks.

--Alex C.

Hello Alex

Could you tell me the details of the temperature tests?  How many ports were connected? what was the ambient temp? how long did the test run? was music/info being transmitted?  What was the case temp?   I am having similar issues to Avalfa.  

2 hours ago, dminches said:

How did you measure the temperature?  Do you have a nifty gauge?

With a calibrated IR thermometer so I know it is right. I am not native English so the nifty gauge part what does that mean?

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
8 hours ago, octaviars said:

With a calibrated IR thermometer so I know it is right. I am not native English so the nifty gauge part what does that mean?

I was just asking what device you used.  You answered in your response "IR thermometer."

Thanks.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Running in the ER to a Sonore OpticalRendu for a friend...dang both of these get crazy hot in a non AC room so doing some passive cooling with a big heatsink over the 2 units...also helps hold them down.

ER is connected B-A(SFP) and powered by the supplied SMPS. OR is powered by SGC 7V 50W for now, awaiting shipment of the better Sonore powersupply and DC-4 cable. The B side is connected to another ER on the A side noted below. Final DAC for this will be a Denafrips Terminator

Another ER (my unit) is also in play, with A side connected via SFP to an FS.com media converter and B side to an Allo USBridge (sparky version) - final DAC for this will be a Denafrips Ares 2 or Soekris DAM1021 

DAC for both running setups are Khadas Tone Boards at this time.

cf2c31c4-ad85-4953-9e24-43402cb4b71f.jpg

😁

Great idea! I had a heat sink just like yours sitting on a shelf. It was previously used for a wireless router that got a little too hot for my liking. Still has some thermal paste on the underside. Without reapplying any more I dropped it on top of the ER. It’s a perfect fit and definitely brings the temperature down a little.

Mine is also attached to the wall sitting on 2 10x10cmx1cm brackets behind one of my racks which is about 14cm from the wall.

Velcro is attached to the brackets and 4 2cm sq pieces of velcro are attached to the underside of the ER which keeps it nicely

in place. Air flow is almost on all sides and the ER gets no warmer than my LPS 1.2.

S6002643.JPG

S6002645.JPG

S6002646.JPG

On 12/19/2019 at 7:22 AM, octaviars said:

It aint the best looking solution but keeps the eR below 40C in a cabinet that is around 30C. Each heatsink is mounted with heat transfer tape.

I have the eR mounted on the wall and the cabinet is fan cooled. 

DSC_0014.thumb.JPG.171deeb43e6c563d7ca0c329c3fa0ef7.JPG

Thank You for the picture. Will you please indicate the link for the heat sink. I will most probably move next year to a tropical country and I want to be on the safe side.

Cheers Jorge 

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

2 hours ago, alsterfan said:

can I free the ER from the heat transfer tape?

To be honest I dont know I have not used this kind of tape before.

2 hours ago, soares said:

Will you please indicate the link for the heat sink.

I bought the heatsinks and tape from a company in Germany named Reichelt.

Heatsink KS63-100E

Tape WL FOLIE 404 12

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system

Though I don't want to be putting holes in the wall for brackets, or gluing Velcro strips, I wonder if 2 or 3 Command Strips might work.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 12/21/2019 at 12:17 PM, Jud said:

I wonder if 2 or 3 Command Strips might work.

Hi Jud,

Obviously, the Command Strips have the advantage to be easily removed if necessary.

But as far as I can see the technical data lack information about the use as a heat transfer tape.

So I think I will follow octaviars´  way and order a heatsink being a bit taller and in the first step simply put it on top of the ER and see, what happens.

Best wishes,

Uwe

Heatsink.png

5 minutes ago, alsterfan said:

Maybe the Command Strips have the advantage to be easily removed.

But as far as I can see the technical data lack information about the use as a heat transfer tape.

Hi Uwe:

I think Jud meant using those in place of screws to attach the brackets to the wall. Don't think he was suggesting Command Strips as thermal interface pads.

Wishing you a lovely holiday and New Years!

--Alex C.

16 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Don't think he was suggesting Command Strips as thermal interface pads.

--Alex C.

Next UpTone product! 😉

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

33 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Uwe:

I think Jud meant using those in place of screws to attach the brackets to the wall. Don't think he was suggesting Command Strips as thermal interface pads.

Wishing you a lovely holiday and New Years!

--Alex C.

Hi Alex,

Sorry that I got Jud wrong.

All the best for you and your family as well.

Uwe

P.S. The above shown heatsink weighs 2,6 kg. Would the case of the ER stand it?

7 minutes ago, alsterfan said:

Sure, the EtherREGEN case can take the weight.  But unless that heatsink is made of lead I have really hard time believing it weighs 2.6kg. That's almost 6 pounds for a 4-inch square, 1-inch tall piece of aluminum which is mostly cut-out with fins.

I might be made of kryptonite!  The nemesis of SuperDad

I would guess 150g.  Heat conductive tape is available on Amazon.  I would expect that tape probably isn't as good as thermal paste and certainly not as good as a conductive silicone adhesive.

Looks like I might get my ER in January instead of February.  Hope to be pleasantly surprised.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:25 PM, Superdad said:

Sure, the EtherREGEN case can take the weight.  But unless that heatsink is made of lead I have really hard time believing it weighs 2.6kg. That's almost 6 pounds for a 4-inch square, 1-inch tall piece of aluminum which is mostly cut-out with fins.

Heatsink on top my EtherRegen weight round 2 pounds, and work flaw·less! Made from pure cooper, keeping regen temperature

round 100F, with ambient room temperature 74F.

20191221_200015.jpg

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

2 hours ago, lpost said:

I might be made of kryptonite!  The nemesis of SuperDad

I would guess 150g.  Heat conductive tape is available on Amazon.  I would expect that tape probably isn't as good as thermal paste and certainly not as good as a conductive silicone adhesive.

Looks like I might get my ER in January instead of February.  Hope to be pleasantly surprised.

It is using thermal paste safe for EtherRegen case finish? Any tip for good one?

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

6 hours ago, alsterfan said:

If you refer to the ones I use they dont weigh much it is just a small piece of aluminium.

As I have it wallmounted tape was the best solution to secure the heatsinks to both front and back. Some sort of thermal compound would transfer heat better but I went from 48C to 41C in a cabinet that is around 30C so I am happy with that. 

Main system

Second system