IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Perfect.
Thank you

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

29 minutes ago, nonesup said:

Hi Elan I think you overestimate my knowledge of electricity.😁

Let's see with the two multimeter tips, I make contact with the negative terminals of the two outputs of the LPS.  Well and what value does the multimeter have to give me to know if it is open in short?

Most multimeters have a mode/setting for testing continuity (end-to-end connection). Often the graphic around the knob for this mode looks like sound waves (like wi-fi strength icon only on its side). When you have the meter set in this mode, touching the two probe tips together will cause a continuous beep to be heard through a tiny speaker in the meter.  And the display will usually show something as well (varies by meter).  

This continuity/beep mode is the easiest for checking to see if outputs of a power supply have independent zero-volt/-VE "ground" from each other.

Ok, tomorrow I'll try it.  Thank you

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

26 minutes ago, jacques_racine said:

Uptone's User Guide recommends using copper Ethernet wire.

Just realized my Starlight 8 is silver...

Should I return my ER?

The copper is referring to "electrically conductive wire" (as opposed to optical) so either copper or silver will work fine.

So "copper" is a common generic term for meaning wire based Ethernet cable  rather than optical or some other form, such as Wifi.

John S.

1 hour ago, jacques_racine said:

Uptone's User Guide recommends using copper Ethernet wire.

Just realized my Starlight 8 is silver...

Should I return my ER?

actually its oxygen free copper with silver plating! 🙂 (unless you have the platinum starlight 8 which is solid silver)

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thanks a lot John.

Sorry if I have distracted you.

Now, please go back to the lab and continue inventing the next big thing...

Thanks for you contribution to our passion.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

22 hours ago, spotforscott said:

Hi Alex,

- Made sure "INT" was toggled on before powering up

- On the B side, copper ethernet connect to Linear Solution DS-1.

- When I connect the router to the B side of the ER, I get both green blinking and yellow blinking light. These same lights are visible on the A side with the connection to the DS-1, so all is good with that. Only other connection on the A side is from SonicOribiter server and for that connection, all I see is yellow blinking lights

- When I connect the router to the A side of the ER, I do not see any green blinking lights on either the A or B side

- So for some reason, teh ER is not able to connect to the router on the B side

Thiughts?

I had this problem but was fixed with the software update. 

1 hour ago, lxgreen said:

I had this problem but was fixed with the software update. 

Had a call with @spotforscott today.  Can't believe I forgot to ask him if he did the firmware update.  But based on our conversation we suspect that his particular Audiolinux endpoint NUC has its Ethernet port set for 10MB/s. That's why it works on the 'A' side (which auto-negotiates to 10/100/1000) but not on our 100Mbps-only 'B' side. He can adjust that in the Audiolinux settings.

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

Had a call with @spotforscott today.  Can't believe I forgot to ask him if he did the firmware update.  But based on our conversation we suspect that his particular Audiolinux endpoint NUC has its Ethernet port set for 10MB/s. That's why it works on the 'A' side (which auto-negotiates to 10/100/1000) but not on our 100Mbps-only 'B' side. He can adjust that in the Audiolinux settings.

Hi Alex, thanks for the call/ support. I have not had a chance to address audiolinux situation yet. In terms of firmware, I received in second batch so I don't need to update, correct?

11 minutes ago, Ultrarunner said:

I just received and installed my EtherRegen as a replacement for my opticalModule. Great results so far. One question: Was the ER supposed to ship with a fiber transceiver?

Happy to hear that you received your package and are already enjoying it.  No, the EtherREGEN does not ship with a fiber optic transceiver. Most people don't use the SFP cage and for those who do we can not predict what module they will have at the other end (and they need to match--at least in terms of type).  Let us know if you need links to some inexpensive ones--starting at $14. :)

Installed mine last night (December shipping) and had no issues. I did have to power cycle the Bricasti to get an IP address, but that was like that before, with the TrendNet hub.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

I moved my ER next to my Bricasti M1SE and then went digging deep for some short patch cables I though I had. Couldn't find the short patch cables, but I found a 3ft BJ Cat6 w JSSG360. This is pretty heavy and too long for my purpose, but fine for now. So I was thinking about getting something like a custom Ghent. This kind of begs the question - is there too short a cable or just enough to sit the ER directly behind the Bricasti, like 3 inches?

However, the thought of an Uptone ERPCB dongle makes me wonder - hard pin the two together and balance ER on a small roller bearing.... Does this make any sense or stick with the shortest cable possible (think 6" is easy to come by)

11 hours ago, Lobbster said:

I moved my ER next to my Bricasti M1SE and then went digging deep for some short patch cables I though I had. Couldn't find the short patch cables, but I found a 3ft BJ Cat6 w JSSG360. This is pretty heavy and too long for my purpose, but fine for now. So I was thinking about getting something like a custom Ghent. This kind of begs the question - is there too short a cable or just enough to sit the ER directly behind the Bricasti, like 3 inches?

My Wireworld dealer at one time had some bulk Starlight cable and the tools to make custom lengths.  If that’s of interest send a PM and I could put you in touch with him.  He had also arranged for me to have the custom Audioquest cable that I now have up for sale.  He can no longer do custom lengths of AQ cables, but there are dealers who can.  Ghent is a great choice as well.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

On 12/12/2019 at 7:53 AM, spotforscott said:

Hi Alex, thanks for the call/ support. I have not had a chance to address audiolinux situation yet. In terms of firmware, I received in second batch so I don't need to update, correct?

i'm in 3rd batch but curious about where the referenced audiolinux NUC setting (that needs to be 100mb/s) resides?

On 12/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, cat6man said:

i'm in 3rd batch but curious about where the referenced audiolinux NUC setting (that needs to be 100mb/s) resides?

First, go to selection-5, "EXPERT menu"

image.thumb.png.98c8bc35093c03f7a16fa3affb0fa66d.png

Second, use selection-7, "ETHERNET speed limit" and follow the on screen instructions.

image.thumb.png.1733457f269bdd571010a497d65afeea.png

2 hours ago, cat6man said:

I was told to use an ethernet to USB dongle. It did not work. There is probably something else that could be done to fix the issue but I have moved on. I am connecting to the NUC through the A side. It is the only ethernet connection on the A side because I am bridging off my sever - single connection to B side for both the server and router. Within a couple of months I am switchung to a custom server that will negate the need for the NUC and will be able to use the B side as prescribed by the ER.

i currently use two Catalyst 2960 PD routers in my system with a similar configuration to what you recommend for the ER. This yields positive SQ benefits compared to just the one. I am about to buy an ER in the UK. In your experience and that of users, would there be any benefit to using two ER switches in my installation in the same way (so that one is also used as the “main switch”)? FWIW the system streams Quobuz to a Roon Nucleus with internal SSD to feed a Naim ND555 streamer/router.

MTIA

Mike