Jump to content
Superdad

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

@Superdad I will give you a second chance to answer this as it might got missed in the other thread :)

 

I still wonder about the CE marking of a product that you sell to stores within the EU and directly to customers within the EU, why is there no CE aproval on the etherREGEN?

 

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/ce-marking/manufacturers_en

 

"Manufacturers play a crucial role in ensuring that products placed on the extended single market of the European Economic Area (EEA) are safe. They are responsible for checking that their products meet EU safety, health, and environmental protection requirements. It is the manufacturer’s responsibility to carry out the conformity assessment, set up the technical file, issue the EU declaration of conformity, and affix the CE marking to a product. Only then can this product be traded on the EEA market.I

f you are a manufacturer, you have to follow these 6 steps to affix a CE marking to your product:

  1. Identify the applicable directive(s) and harmonised standards
  2. Verify product specific requirements
  3. Identify whether an independent conformity assessment (by a notified body) is necessary
  4. Test the product and check its conformity
  5. Draw up and keep available the required technical documentation
  6. Affix the CE marking and draw up the EU Declaration of Conformity (27 KB).

These 6 steps may differ by product as the conformity assessment procedure varies. Manufacturers must not affix CE marking to products that don’t fall under the scope of one of the directives providing for its affixing."

 


Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC
-> Uptone etherREGEN ->  dCS Network bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)
 
Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I am a little skeptical of your statement that the "Larosita creates its own network." That would mean that it acts as its own DHCP router, assigning IP addresses to other computers on the network. From what I read on their web page that is not the case.  So I think you will need to run some cable from upstream on your home network (from other modem/router/switch) to one of the 'A'-side ports of the EtherREGEN.

@Superdad Hi Alex,

The Streamer/DAC I use is La Rosita Pi. This DAC has an Airport Express integrated. By means of the AirPort program I can create an own network (2.4 or 5GHz). So La Rosita Pi is independent of the main router, but not capable of using the internet (something I don´t need as I am not using Qobuz etc.).

That being said I hope you don´t say that the main router (capable of using the internet) necessarily has to be attached to ER´s A-side, as it is located 15mtrs away in a different room.

Best,

Uwe

 

P.S. Thanks for the information about the ERs that have reached Martin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, octaviars said:

@Superdad I will give you a second chance to answer this as it might got missed in the other thread :)

 

Hi Fredrik:

If I have the right Fredrik (last name starts with letter 'A' correct?) then I see you have purchased at least 5 products from us over more than 5 years, including a JS-2.

So can you tell me why the matter of CE marking has become so important to you just now?

 

We are fully aware of the standards, directives, and costs.  The AC>DC adapters we ship with our products carry full multi-country certification (I have all the certificates from our OEM suppliers).  For the actual EtherREGEN itself we may self-certify and prepare a Declaration of Conformity, but doing so is not currently a top priority for my small firm. The actual radiated emissions (EMC) from the EtherREGEN is very low. A well-known testing facility happens to have an office (its founding location since we are in the EM-quiet mountains) just up the road from me (https://www.ckc.com/location/mariposa-ca/). I used them in the past. I might give them a call again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, alsterfan said:

The Streamer/DAC I use is La Rosita Pi. This DAC has an Airport Express integrated. By means of the AirPort program I can create an own network (2.4 or 5GHz). So La Rosita Pi is independent of the main router, but not capable of using the internet (something I don´t need as I am not using Qobuz etc.).

That being said I hope you don´t say that the main router (capable of using the internet) necessarily has to be attached to ER´s A-side, as it is located 15mtrs away in a different room.

 

Oh yes, forgot that you are still using their early Pi unit with original Airport Express as DAC.  As long as that Airport Express can serve as DHCP server for IP addresses to you Mac minis--as I assume it does now in your pre-EtherREGEN setup--then you should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Superdad said:

If I have the right Fredrik (last name starts with letter 'A' correct?) then I see you have purchased at least 5 products from us over more than 5 years, including a JS-2.

So can you tell me why the matter of CE marking has become so important to you just now?

 

The etherREGEN is the first thing I have purchased from Uptone so you got the wrong guy.

 

So you can as a manufacturer outside of EU just ignore the aproval and sell it anyway?

 

Dont get this wrong I just want to know how this stuff works :)


Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC
-> Uptone etherREGEN ->  dCS Network bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)
 
Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, spotforscott said:

Hi Guys, I just got ER tonight. For some reason, it is not working with my roon endpoint from the B side, only the A side. Any thiughts on the issue?

 

Hi:

Happy to assist!

Please tell us about your set up. What do you have on the 'B' side and what all do you have on the 'A' side and where does that lead?

What LEDs are lit on each side?  And do you have the INT/EXT CLOCK switch in the INT position?  It needs to be in the correct position BEFORE you apply power to the EtherREGEN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, octaviars said:

The etherREGEN is the first thing I have purchased from Uptone so you got the wrong guy.

Sorry about that. Seems there are two Fredrik's in Sweden with last name starting with 'A' who have recently bought EtherREGENs.

 

4 hours ago, octaviars said:

So you can as a manufacturer outside of EU just ignore the aproval and sell it anyway?

Well it is a little complicated. Selling direct from USA to users actually puts the onus somewhat on the buyer, though the laws are becoming stricter about even sliding through that way. For our dealers it is little trickier. I have been upfront with them that only the power adapter has full certification. So I suppose they do take a risk. 

 

4 hours ago, octaviars said:

Don't get this wrong I just want to know how this stuff works :)

You might be surprised at how many companies fraudulently apply CE stickers to their gear. There are a lot of Chinese linear power supplies that I would not feel safe plugging into my wall and leaving unattended. We know our products are safe and conform to safety standards. If someone really wants to come after us and halt our exports to Europe I suppose they could.

 

If you would like to discuss the matter further then please send me a PM.  And you know that if you are in anyway dissatisfied with your EtherREGEN you can return it to us for full refund. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superdad said:

 

Hi:

Happy to assist!

Please tell us about your set up. What do you have on the 'B' side and what all do you have on the 'A' side and where does that lead?

What LEDs are lit on each side?  And do you have the INT/EXT CLOCK switch in the INT position?  It needs to be in the correct position BEFORE you apply power to the EtherREGEN.

Hi Alex,

- Made sure "INT" was toggled on before powering up

- On the B side, copper ethernet connect to Linear Solution DS-1.

- When I connect the router to the B side of the ER, I get both green blinking and yellow blinking light. These same lights are visible on the A side with the connection to the DS-1, so all is good with that. Only other connection on the A side is from SonicOribiter server and for that connection, all I see is yellow blinking lights

- When I connect the router to the A side of the ER, I do not see any green blinking lights on either the A or B side

- So for some reason, teh ER is not able to connect to the router on the B side

 

Thiughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advice please, with the JS2 I'm powering a Legacy Wavelet preamp and the ER. I have Optical in and B side copper to a Bricasti M1SE. I also have copper from the A side to the Wavelet (via USB>EN adaptor) for the GUI interface. Is it better to isolate the Wavelet GUI to a separate ethernet jack or no problem ( I have a wall jack in proximity) ?

 

Congrats on the successful launch and best of the season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lobbster said:

Advice please, with the JS2 I'm powering a Legacy Wavelet preamp and the ER. I have Optical in and B side copper to a Bricasti M1SE. I also have copper from the A side to the Wavelet (via USB>EN adaptor) for the GUI interface. Is it better to isolate the Wavelet GUI to a separate ethernet jack or no problem ( I have a wall jack in proximity) ?

 

Congrats on the successful launch and best of the season!

I presume that the Wavelet is connected to the M1SE analog outs? If so you are directly shorting out the moat by powering both from the same JS-2. The negative outputs of the two outputs are directly connected. Neither is connected to power cord safety ground, but they are connected to each other. So you have a situation where the A side gnd is directly connected to the B side gnd through the M1SE power connection.

 

We need to work on that first before worrying about Ethernet connections.

 

John S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I am powering my ER with my Keces P8 incl. ground wire. The same time the P8 powers the roon core on the A side and the RPI (DigiOne Sig) connected on the B side. The DigiOne digitalboard connected to the RPI is powered by the UC 1.2. 

 

Are the connected components isolated from each others ground? I asked Keces and they stated, that the outputs are fully floating/isolated from each other and the mains ground. Is that true? @Superdad What is your knowledge on the P8?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

We need to work on that first before worrying about Ethernet connections.

Thanks, I've plugged the Wavelet Ethernet into a wall jack. I had the Cisco 2960L-8TS-LL fed by fibre before, so I just swapped it out With ER. There wasn't any issues, everything worked fine from the get go, maybe a bit better now.

 

Minor request for nice next gen; some kind of wall mount tie downs/keyholes. Would give options for discrete mounting. I've kind of hacked mine on the wall with 3 zip ties attached to the Cisco mounting screws. It's behind a sound absorber so no one see it. Hope the zip ties handle the heat till I figure a more elegant solution.

 

It's not clear If it's ok sitting ER beside my End Point/DAC with a 12" copper patch cable or do we still need some separation, ie. 3ft or more?

 

TIA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use now DIY supra cat8 whose shielding is only connected to earth on one side.

This in such a way that earth loops are never possible. I have also SOTM black cable and TLS reference in use, this after Audioquest(cinnamon and Vodka) and SOTM iso cat6 lan isolator and the SOTM dcbl cat7.

 

With the ER, everything improved in such a way that had never happened before. Really great

 

Inspired by the ER in terms of noise and disturbance removal, I took the same guess by also tackling the AC side. I already use to the great pleasure the Z3 and monsoon power cables from Audioquest, and last week I purchased the AQ niagara 1200 EU.
What a party in combination with the ER, even more amazing!

 

At this moment I am really afraid that something will break. The SQ is that good!😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bernstein said:

Are the connected components isolated from each others ground? I asked Keces and they stated, that the outputs are fully floating/isolated from each other and the mains ground. Is that true? @Superdad What is your knowledge on the P8?

 

I think you have previously asked me this. My answer was and still is that I have never tested the Keces P8 and can only go on what the manufacturer states. My suggestion was that you check the outputs with a meter to see if their zero-volt/-VE "grounds" are indeed independent of each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, spotforscott said:

Hi Alex,

- Made sure "INT" was toggled on before powering up

- On the B side, copper ethernet connect to Linear Solution DS-1.

- When I connect the router to the B side of the ER, I get both green blinking and yellow blinking light. These same lights are visible on the A side with the connection to the DS-1, so all is good with that. Only other connection on the A side is from SonicOribiter server and for that connection, all I see is yellow blinking lights

- When I connect the router to the A side of the ER, I do not see any green blinking lights on either the A or B side

- So for some reason, teh ER is not able to connect to the router on the B side

 

Thiughts?

 

Hi:

I would really like to assist you with this over the phone today and get the EtherREGEN working for you!

Please either phone (1-209-966-4377) or sent a note with your phone number via our Contact page.

Thanks,

ALEX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lobbster said:

It's not clear If it's ok sitting ER beside my End Point/DAC with a 12" copper patch cable or do we still need some separation, ie. 3ft or more?

 

Your current spacing should be fine. The EtherREGEN does not radiate much at all. A few inches is plenty. 9_9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MikePid said:

How about impact of other equipment on ER?  E.g. the ER probably should not be sitting on top of or near a power supply?

 

Depends a bit on the type of power transformer used in the power supply. R-cores don't radiate much of a magnetic field--especially not vertically. But yes, in general it is not a great idea to set components on top power supplies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superdad said:

 

I think you have previously asked me this. My answer was and still is that I have never tested the Keces P8 and can only go on what the manufacturer states. My suggestion was that you check the outputs with a meter to see if their zero-volt/-VE "grounds" are indeed independent of each other.


 Sorry! You are right! I asked that question twice...recognized now. 
 

aaaaa don’t want to unplug everything to measure, but I will try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superdad said:

 

I think you have previously asked me this. My answer was and still is that I have never tested the Keces P8 and can only go on what the manufacturer states. My suggestion was that you check the outputs with a meter to see if their zero-volt/-VE "grounds" are indeed independent of each other.

Could someone explain to me, since I don't have much electrical knowledge, how can I tell with a multimeter, if the two outputs of LPS Kenneth Lau (12v and 5v) are isolated from each other?  Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nonesup said:

Could someone explain to me, since I don't have much electrical knowledge, how can I tell with a multimeter, if the two outputs of LPS Kenneth Lau (12v and 5v) are isolated from each other?  Thanks in advance.

The way I check is using a multimeter to measure both negative legs of power supply outputs to see whether they are open or short.  If they are open, then they are isolated (independent) from each other, if they are shorted, they share the same ground.  Another check is measure between the power supply output negative legs and ground leg of AC input to determine if the power supply is a floating design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Superdad said:

 

Your current spacing should be fine. The EtherREGEN does not radiate much at all. A few inches is plenty. 9_9

That's the elegant solution I was looking for - thanks for the clarification! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, elan120 said:

The way I check is using a multimeter to measure both negative legs of power supply outputs to see whether they are open or short.  If they are open, then they are isolated (independent) from each other, if they are shorted, they share the same ground.  Another check is measure between the power supply output negative legs and ground leg of AC input to determine if the power supply is a floating design.

Hi Elan I think you overestimate my knowledge of electricity.😁

 Let's see with the two multimeter tips, I make contact with the negative terminals of the two outputs of the LPS.  Well and what value does the multimeter have to give me to know if it is open in short?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nonesup said:

what value does the multimeter have to give me to know if it is open in short?

If the meter show "0", then you have a short.  If the meter show some very large number or infinity, you have them open.

 

Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...