IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

On 11/27/2019 at 8:34 AM, k-man said:

Damn! I was secretly hoping for a @PeterSt style one million permutations of code that we can toggle and have a dedicated thread to tuning. Oh well..

Careful, advertisement:

image.png.97e16d7c761d8c1c385252135743123f.png

If you don't care about a little overshoot, we can supply two of these:

image.png.2aa14d0b5266f57a390b16f558503537.png

So you have 3 ET^2's in serial, which makes 255 x 255 x 255 permutations. That is more than 16 million.

With Black Friday behind us and Blue Monday due, it is of course 3 for the price of 2.

(Alex, if this is inappropriate to you for any reason you like, please delete)

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

9 hours ago, Ehsu said:

Dear One and a half, I would love to know how JCAT Net Femto card alone compared to ER alone. Maybe not possible in your case as its already in the PC? I am thinking about building a fanless server with JCAT Net card and HDPLEX PSU. I am wondering if the JCAT card is unnecessary if I have an ER before my end point. I am looking forward to your listening impression and comparison if you have an ER already. 

Hi there @Ehsu, at this stage only planning. The JCAT Net Femto is the 'source' or 'start point' of Ethernet transmission. Unfortunately, for the Lumin to work, it needs to be connected to a router, and that means picking up other noise from the devices that are connected to the network. 

In the Ethernet transmission before the Lumin is a Baaske Ethernet isolator, which I could place in front of the JACAT Net Femto to reduce some crud, however @skatbelt tried this (with a similar device) further upstream of the EtherRegen with mixed audible results. He has a similar AC network to mine, so need to be mindful of similar.

The EtherRegen in itself is 'affordable', however when teamed with a suitable power supply, the process is somewhat more involved and the price escalates. The JCAT Net Femto supply is 2A, 5V and with the EtherRegen, a JS2 should work fine, now the price is close to USD1565, plus cables on top. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

FYI:

For those who wish to discuss sonic attributes about our recent firmware update (for just the first 250 units--all shipped in November), I started a new thread, moving over about 36 posts from this one and 75 posts from the Listening Impressions thread.  Here is the new thread--where most people are very happy with the update, and a few are welcome to voice their dissent:

My DIY music server has a JCAT net card, connected to A side of ER. Only one port is used now, previously the second port was used to directly connect to my NUC endpoint (the two ports were bridged). Now the NUC is connected to the B side of the ER. This resulted in the SQ improvements I described in an earlier post. 

With everything that’s written thus far I don’t think the same results can be had when I connect one port of the JCAT to B side and the second port directly to NUC.

14 minutes ago, Dutch said:

My DIY music server has a JCAT net card, connected to A side of ER. Only one port is used now, previously the second port was used to directly connect to my NUC endpoint (the two ports were bridged). Now the NUC is connected to the B side of the ER. This resulted in the SQ improvements I described in an earlier post. 

With everything that’s written thus far I don’t think the same results can be had when I connect one port of the JCAT to B side and the second port directly to NUC.

Ditto...same setup here and identical result.

13 minutes ago, elan120 said:

Ditto...same setup here and identical result.

I use the Jcat card and I get better results with the server straight into the A side rather than back in the network directly off the router. So either the impact of the card is lost across the network or the benefits are cumulative. Certainly close coupling helps.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Try it with the stock SMPS we include. I think you will be surprised. That's what is being used by about 90% of the people already sharing their fine experiences with the EtherREGEN. :D

Oh, I see the JS2 isn't available until mid Jan 2020, there are only so many hands, huh? Pity you're not in the shoe business, can put you in contact with a crew of elves...

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 11/29/2019 at 5:04 PM, Superdad said:

Just to be clear, Chris has multiple older switches in his chain ahead of the EtherREGEN. With a more simplified set up he likely would be able to run the EtherREGEN in either direction.

All true.

I removed all old swiches and it works both ways now.

A to B and B to A.

no issues at all.

thx Alex

On 11/12/2019 at 11:16 AM, Superdad said:

Okay, so let's back up and confirm that the 'B'-side of your EtherREGEN is functioning properly (it should be as we test every unit):

Please attach something other than your AL NUC to the 'B'-side port. Your NAS, computer whatever.  Confirm that you can move data across the moat from A>B or B>A. Please refer to page 6 of the User Guide with regards to the meanings of the LEDs on each side (the colors mean different things for A and B sides).

Let us know what is the result.  And you can try power cycling your EtherREGEN as well.

By any chance would the clock switch setting be a possible culprit?

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

6 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

By any chance would the clock switch setting be a possible culprit?

I would have asked him except that he said the ‘A’ side works.

When one gets the position of the Int/Ext Clock switch wrong, neither side works at all! That’s why I emphasized that in both the Quick Start and User Guides. I think doing so worked because we’ve had no support requests where that came up. It’s aided by the fact  that our clients are pretty sharp. B|

Hmm, I might have an issue here.....

I updated the firmware last week Thursday I think it was, listened for an hour, worked great, didn't have time to do more listening until Friday, after half an hour, connection issues while streaming local files from my pc by network to my audionet DNP. Restarted the network unit in the Audionet DNP,v worked again for a few minutes. This went on two times, than I quit listening (tired).

Today I power the gear up, no connection, I reboot the ER, connection established. Listened four songs,.... Connection error, reboot ER, works again no for three songs so far.

I have listened for hours and hours with the ER with stock firmware without any issue, connection error or what so ever. Never had any issues before with the system network wise anyway. And no other changes were made except for swap a basic d-link switch for ER, and only after the firmware update trouble started..

So I'm a little bit concerned right know... 

Has anyone any idea what this van be??

42 minutes ago, Avalfa said:

Hmm, I might have an issue here.....

I updated the firmware last week Thursday I think it was, listened for an hour, worked great, didn't have time to do more listening until Friday, after half an hour, connection issues while streaming local files from my pc by network to my audionet DNP. Restarted the network unit in the Audionet DNP,v worked again for a few minutes. This went on two times, than I quit listening (tired).

Today I power the gear up, no connection, I reboot the ER, connection established. Listened four songs,.... Connection error, reboot ER, works again no for three songs so far.

I have listened for hours and hours with the ER with stock firmware without any issue, connection error or what so ever. Never had any issues before with the system network wise anyway. And no other changes were made except for swap a basic d-link switch for ER, and only after the firmware update trouble started..

So I'm a little bit concerned right know... 

Has anyone any idea what this van be??

Have you tried restarting the network driver on the DNP?  I’m assuming the eR “B” port is wired to the DNP’s RJ45. I’m guessing you want to avoid resetting the network module to factory and starting over.  

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

1 hour ago, stevebythebay said:

Have you tried restarting the network driver on the DNP?  I’m assuming the eR “B” port is wired to the DNP’s RJ45. I’m guessing you want to avoid resetting the network module to factory and starting over.  

Yep, that's exactly what I did the first time.

By now I'm starting to think it might be a temperature issue..., The ER is in a closed cabinet ( I know it shouldn't but that's where it is and must be,no other option).

I just realised, that before I had the door open while listening, now again and problem gone (it seems), so I ordered a heatsink 100x100x18mm to place on top of it, and moved it in the cabinet to the area where it has most air flowing possibility. We will see if it stays away this way, hopefully!

(On top of the Dnp is also a ultra silent fan (Can't even hear it with my ears next to it)  always on, on very low speed, just to keep air moving thrue the device since that one gets really hot as well.)

34 minutes ago, Avalfa said:

By now I'm starting to think it might be a temperature issue..., The ER is in a closed cabinet ( I know it shouldn't but that's where it is and must be,no other option).

Hi:

While I am not sure of the cause of the problem you are experiencing, I can say with certainty that it is NOT a temperature issue. We torture-tested EtherREGEN units for quite some time at very high heats.

I'd like to know a little more about your Audionet DNP and what Ethernet input card it uses (their own design or perhaps licensed from Conversdigital or the Swiss company that used to be known as ABCpcb).

Can you do a test with everything on the 'A' side jacks of the EtherREGEN? Do you still have connection issues then? And are you certain that the new firmware flashed correctly (virtual drive disappearing upon copy is the only confirmation)?

Please keep us posted. Thanks.

--Alex C.

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi:

While I am not sure of the cause of the problem you are experiencing, I can say with certainty that it is NOT a temperature issue. We torture-tested EtherREGEN units for quite some time at very high heats.

I'd like to know a little more about your Audionet DNP and what Ethernet input card it uses (their own design or perhaps licensed from Conversdigital or the Swiss company that used to be known as ABCpcb).

Can you do a test with everything on the 'A' side jacks of the EtherREGEN? Do you still have connection issues then? And are you certain that the new firmware flashed correctly (virtual drive disappearing upon copy is the only confirmation)?

Please keep us posted. Thanks.

--Alex C

Hi Alex,

The reason I started to suspect thermal issue is because nothing else but the firmware update and me having the door closed of the cabinet where the ER is in,has changed. And because it worked fine before update, and till know after I opened the door.

I will look into which network controller is used by Audionet in the DNP, however this will be tomorrow or the day after, no time before than.

If the problem returns, I will try connect both cables on A side.

Concerning the firmware update, It worked like a charme and exactly as described, and yes the virtual drive disconnected and reconnected as should be, sonic improvement was also noticeable.

Overall I must say, it's the best investment in long time money wise, compared to what it has brought in improvement in SQ. (And again the ER worked from the start for three weeks now without any issue until last few days. Yesterday after my post here and after that I replaced it at a little cooler place, there weren't any errors anymore, that's why I started to think that heat is what caused it) 

As soon as I find out more, I'll let you know,

Thanks for your fast response!

Arjan

I want to try using the 1.2 PS with the ER.

I only use 1-RJ45 into side B and the SFP out of A.

Therefore there is no need for the ground wire.  Is that correct?

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

Hi folks,

I am new to posting but have been following this thread for ages. I have purchase an Etherregen and am interested in getting the Sonore 9 package with Signature Optical Rendu and was wondering if anyone could advise whether the following setup would work. The Sonicorbiter i9 is designed to connect directly to the Optical Signature Rendu but I would like to connect this via a switch into the B side of the Etherregen, then run from the optical output A side of the Etherregen into the Signature optical rendu and from there into my Denafrips terminator DAC.  I am aware of the people from Sonore not recommending this and saying the end result would be noisier but would like to see for myself if that is true or not.

I guess I just have 3 questions.

1) Is setup recommended?

2) Would the setup work at all?

3) Are there any things I would need to consider if the setup works

Many thanks in advance to all for any help and advice

Alan

AP Network.pptx

Impression (not balanced for sound level) after adding 1.2 PS to run ER: sweeter and a little more detail. More real. Not earth shattering detail, but worth if if (too me) if the sweetness is true .

I'm just listening after I turned the system back on and experience was, "Oh, this sounds sweeter" on top of the additional detail that I was getting before. I wasn't expecting 'sweetness'...didn't know I was missing it.

Re detail, Listen to Cowboy Junkies, Trinity Revisited, Mining for gold. The singer, Margo, sings a line at the beginning of the song that ends with ..".marching to the slope". 

How clearly you can hear the 'p' in slope, if you can hear it at all, and her mouth articulation will tell you something about your system's ability to discern detail. At least it has for me through the years. And, it is a great album for listening as well as discernment.

Over the week end, after listening for a few days, and going through my regular set of music files taking notes, I'll remove the PS and see if I feel like I'm missing anything.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

The 1.2 supplying the ER is running hot...to hot to hold, set at 7. Is this norma?l