IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

12 hours ago, lxgreen said:

I just completed firmware update and everything seems to work fine. FYI, I didn’t realize I had an issue with EtherRegen but now I realize I did. I use a sonictransporter for Roon Core. When I plugged sonictransporter Ethernet cable into sonictransporter, Roon could not find Core. So I got it to work by plugging sonictransporter into Ethernet port on router. Now, after firmware update, I can plug sonictransporter Ethernet directly into EtherRegen. However, now I have copper Ethernet from router going to EtherRegen B port so I can use optical from A side to my optical renduSE. So I have two inputs into A side ( optical to rendu and copper to sonictransporter. I’m still a bit confused on how to use A ports in this configuration. Would I be better off plugging sonictransporter back into router so I leave A ports empty except for optical?

This configuration is not optimal, the music packets are coming from the SonicTransporter to SFP to the oR just through the A side, this doesn't give you the advantage of the ADIM. You would probably be better off with just the oR on the A side and the SonicTransporter and everything else on a switch or router connected to the B side.

You can try various ways but I'm pretty sure this will give you the best sound.

John S.

The FW update did not cure the dropouts and the music completely stopping in my set up. I've stated this before and people have made suggestions, which I appreciate. But I have a question: Am I the only one who continues to have the drop out problem following the FW update?

Setup: Mac running Roon app (managing Tidal and Qobuz) over wifi sends data to ATT modem, data sent from ATT modem by ethernet metal cable to Cisco switch (2960 8TC) to Sonic Transport by metal ethernet back to Cisco, from Cisco metal ethernet to ER, A side in and B side optical cable out to OR. 

I've tried a different zone on Roon and there were dropouts on the 2nd zone, suggesting Roon is the problem.

I've replaced the ER with the OM setup...but no drop outs so far.

My system seems so common Roon, Cisco, ER, OR...so it seems others would be having the problem.

I'm communicating with Roon

BTW Happy Thanksgiving. Family get together later. I hope the same for everyone...

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

1 hour ago, ogs said:

B side is 100 megabit ethernet only so an opticalRendu won't work. Do you mean B side ethernet to ultraRendu?

Sorry.

B side in using metal ethernet cable.

A side out using the SFP transceiver and optical cable.  

The SFP transceiver is the transceiver from the Sonore optical module that I was using before the etherRendu came out. It is 1000Base if I remember correctly. I'm assuming 100 megabit is different than 1000base (please get how illiterate I am in this...it is plug and play for me). If that is the case, then the transceiver may be the problem.

But, further, you are saying that the etherRendu optical out won't work with the opticalRendu under any circumstances. I think you are wrong in this assertion...though I'm OK with being wrong.

Why?

Because using these 2-together, connected optically, has been discussed repeatedly.

Thank you

G.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

2 hours ago, thotdoc said:

The FW update did not cure the dropouts and the music completely stopping in my set up. I've stated this before and people have made suggestions, which I appreciate. But I have a question: Am I the only one who continues to have the drop out problem following the FW update?

Setup: Mac running Roon app (managing Tidal and Qobuz) over wifi sends data to ATT modem, data sent from ATT modem by ethernet metal cable to Cisco switch (2960 8TC) to Sonic Transport by metal ethernet back to Cisco, from Cisco metal ethernet to ER, A side in and B side optical cable out to OR. 

I've tried a different zone on Roon and there were dropouts on the 2nd zone, suggesting Roon is the problem.

I've replaced the ER with the OM setup...but no drop outs so far.

My system seems so common Roon, Cisco, ER, OR...so it seems others would be having the problem.

I'm communicating with Roon

BTW Happy Thanksgiving. Family get together later. I hope the same for everyone...

A few things, first are you sure about the sides of the ER you have connected? The SFP cage (For the optical connection) is on the A side, if you are running an optical out from the ER it IS connected to the A side. Thus the B side would be connected to 2960.

The 2960 model you have is a 100Mbps Ethernet on all the ports on the left, the only port that is gigabit is the one on the far right. Is there anyway you can try the system without the 2960? For example do you have enough ports on the router to plug in the Sonic Transporter and B port of the ER? Or if not enough ports do you have a normal gigabit switch you can use instead of the 2960? I have seen a couple reports that Roon does not always like a 100Mbps connection to a server. I would like you to see what happens if the Sonic transporter has a gigabit connection to the router rather than through the 100Mbps 2960.

The wifi connection is just for control, right? The audio data is coming through the router to the 2960?

John S.

2 hours ago, thotdoc said:

In addition to John’s suggestion of eliminating the Cisco switch, I suggest that you adjust to have only one Ethernet connection to your SonicTransporter. Your description makes it seem that you have two connections to the ST. Not sure why you would. The whole “bridging” trick is not necessary in an “EtherREGEN world.” B|

For the totalDAC server / streamer users

I had issues with my ER before and aftervthe update. Serious issues.

it was permanently loosing the connection after 10 - 30 min with no way to bring it back.

My server was dissapearing from network. Or my NAS was not recognized anymore.

All was ok immediate after removing ER from the chain.

I simply turned the ER the other way, with A side being the output and B  side as an incomming signal.

It works this way few hours already with no issues .  No dropping connection anymore.

Also if anyone of you has ethernet on copper longer than 2 m cables please try to use 

the optical cables with media converter so you have copper exit at the end .

I use 2 media converters with 25 km range and only 15 m optical cable .

this is night and day .

if you add this 2 mods together ( ER and exchanged copper to optical for long connection)  

you will have very cheap upgrade ( 800 usd) worth more than 10K .

I was very very sceptical and was going to return ER  yesterday after a week of pain, because I could not use it but now When it finally works I am a great fan of this device. 

Hope it will keep working correct in my system.

Best to all 

1 hour ago, cool_chris said:

For the totalDAC server / streamer users

I had issues with my ER before and aftervthe update. Serious issues.

Just to be clear, Chris has multiple older switches in his chain ahead of the EtherREGEN. With a more simplified set up he likely would be able to run the EtherREGEN in either direction.

19 hours ago, Superdad said:

In addition to John’s suggestion of eliminating the Cisco switch, I suggest that you adjust to have only one Ethernet connection to your SonicTransporter. Your description makes it seem that you have two connections to the ST. Not sure why you would. The whole “bridging” trick is not necessary in an “EtherREGEN world.” B|

There is only one ethernet connection to the ER.

Thank you

I'm working on John's idea and will respond back to him when it is implemented.

Thank you to John also.

Gordon

26 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

There is only one ethernet connection to the ER.

But how many actual Ethernet connections do you have to your SonicTransporter? That is where you description had me confused, making it sound like you are feeding the EtherREGEN just from your SonicTransporter.  You wrote:

"...data sent from ATT modem by ethernet metal cable to Cisco switch (2960 8TC) to Sonic Transport by metal ethernet back to Cisco, from Cisco metal ethernet to ER..."

I think you should try running this way:

--One cable from ATT modem to EtherREGEN 'B' side RJ45;

--One cable from ATT modem to SonicTransporter;

--Optical SFP module in 'A' side of EtherREGEN to your opticalRendu

22 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

A few things, first are you sure about the sides of the ER you have connected? The SFP cage (For the optical connection) is on the A side, if you are running an optical out from the ER it IS connected to the A side. Thus the B side would be connected to 2960.

The 2960 model you have is a 100Mbps Ethernet on all the ports on the left, the only port that is gigabit is the one on the far right. Is there anyway you can try the system without the 2960? For example do you have enough ports on the router to plug in the Sonic Transporter and B port of the ER? Or if not enough ports do you have a normal gigabit switch you can use instead of the 2960? I have seen a couple reports that Roon does not always like a 100Mbps connection to a server. I would like you to see what happens if the Sonic transporter has a gigabit connection to the router rather than through the 100Mbps 2960.

The wifi connection is just for control, right? The audio data is coming through the router to the 2960?

John S.

Connections are correct.

I ran the optical module in place of the Ether Rendu and there were no dropouts..Trial period may have been too short. So that is questionable data. I can go back to that set-up if your current suggestions don't pan out.

Roon also wants me to run Roon core from computer other than current Roon core in Sonic transport. Again, I'll work with your suggestions 1st.

I removed the 2960 from the chain completely. I moved the sonic transport upstairs to a gigabit switch.

The etherRegen is being fed directly by a metal ethernet cable coming from the wall, no switch. I do not understand if that is the correct connection speed, but it is playing without any intermittent dropouts, we'll see as it plays out. I will reconnect with you if this 'get the Cisco out' suggestion does not work.

That said, the sonic transport is not in a place it can stay for the long haul. You said there was a gigabit connection on the CISCO...on the far right. Do you mean the far right socket marked 8x....or the far right socket next to the FPS cage, both being surrounded in yellow line?

Thank you for helping me.

G.

4 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

Connections are correct.

I ran the optical module in place of the Ether Rendu and there were no dropouts..Trial period may have been too short. So that is questionable data. I can go back to that set-up if your current suggestions don't pan out.

Roon also wants me to run Roon core from computer other than current Roon core in Sonic transport. Again, I'll work with your suggestions 1st.

I removed the 2960 from the chain completely. I moved the sonic transport upstairs to a gigabit switch.

The etherRegen is being fed directly by a metal ethernet cable coming from the wall, no switch. I do not understand if that is the correct connection speed, but it is playing without any intermittent dropouts, we'll see as it plays out. I will reconnect with you if this 'get the Cisco out' suggestion does not work.

That said, the sonic transport is not in a place it can stay for the long haul. You said there was a gigabit connection on the CISCO...on the far right. Do you mean the far right socket marked 8x....or the far right socket next to the FPS cage, both being surrounded in yellow line?

Thank you for helping me.

G

The one next to the SFP cage.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

58 minutes ago, Superdad said:

But how many actual Ethernet connections do you have to your SonicTransporter? That is where you description had me confused, making it sound like you are feeding the EtherREGEN just from your SonicTransporter.  You wrote:

"...data sent from ATT modem by ethernet metal cable to Cisco switch (2960 8TC) to Sonic Transport by metal ethernet back to Cisco, from Cisco metal ethernet to ER..."

I think you should try running this way:

--One cable from ATT modem to EtherREGEN 'B' side RJ45;

--One cable from ATT modem to SonicTransporter;

--Optical SFP module in 'A' side of EtherREGEN to your opticalRendu

Based on working through JS's suggestion, I ended up doing what you suggest.

The ATT modem is upstairs. It is connected to a gigabit switch...to which the TV etc are connected and the sonic transport is NOW connected.

Overall, I:

Moved the sonic transport upstairs to a gigabit switch driven by the ATT modem.

Completely removed the Cisco switch

Connected the etherRegen to the ethernet wall junction in the listening room, downstairs.

EtherRegen is fed by EtherREGEN 'B' side RJ45

Optical SFP module in 'A' side of EtherREGEN is out to my opticalRendu 

I get it what a huge time commitment it is for you and John to provide this level of customer service. Thank you seems not quite enough...but thank you.

I will get back to you if this doesn't stay stable.

11 minutes ago, Jud said:

The one next to the SFP cage.

So, I would use the one next to the SFP cage out and one of the 1x-8x in?

Thank you

G

2 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

Thank you

G

Yes.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 hours ago, thotdoc said:

Thank you

G

I don't know if this will work, it is just one thing to try. The problem is that all the other ports re still 100Mbps, the throughput is still 100Mbps even if the Sonic Transporter is connected to the gigabit port.

John S.

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I don't know if this will work, it is just one thing to try. The problem is that all the other ports re still 100Mbps, the throughput is still 100Mbps even if the Sonic Transporter is connected to the gigabit port.

John S.

OK  Thank you.

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

John S.

Yes, my apologies to Gordon since I assumed the fact you couldn't get gigabit throughput was understood, and this is just to see if these two ports are "happier" being connected.

17 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, my apologies to Gordon since I assumed the fact you couldn't get gigabit throughput was understood, and this is just to see if these two ports are "happier" being connected.

No apologies necessary.

This arcane corner of our audiophile hobby includes members who are, like me...completely without knowledge and who get by through plug and play...and others who really understand what the electricity is doing and going through to achieve the sounds that so please us..

Speaking for the former group, we would not have the wonderful sounds without you and others who create and help. Thank you. 

I have 12,6 output volage PS. It is still safe use with EtberRegen?

NUC7i7DNBE Akasa Plato fanless case(Windows 10 Pro bridged,LMS)>Cisco WS-C2960G-8TC-L> 2x Buffalo BS-GS2016>Buffalo BS-GS2008>Uptone EtherRegen>BG7TBL master clock>Sonore MicroRendu 1.4>Singxer F-1>Wyred 4 Sound Remedy>Lite DAC60>Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2>Hifiman HE1000

Apart from this post, has anyone else used the JCAT net Femto card & connected the EtherRegen in this fashion, or an alternative method?

JCAT port A -> to Router via switch (really dirty side), fixed IP address

JCAT port B (DHCP) -> EtherRegen Port A

EtherRegen Port B -> Network Audio device (this case, Lumin U1)

JCAT ports A & B are in bridged mode, so that DHCP works on the JCAT port B.

Just need to know if DHCP will transfer across the EtherRegen, should, just checking the boxes.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

Apart from this post, has anyone else used the JCAT net Femto card & connected the EtherRegen in this fashion, or an alternative method?

JCAT port A -> to Router via switch (really dirty side), fixed IP address

JCAT port B (DHCP) -> EtherRegen Port A

EtherRegen Port B -> Network Audio device (this case, Lumin U1)

JCAT ports A & B are in bridged mode, so that DHCP works on the JCAT port B.

Just need to know if DHCP will transfer across the EtherRegen, should, just checking the boxes.

Dear One and a half, I would love to know how JCAT Net Femto card alone compared to ER alone. Maybe not possible in your case as its already in the PC? I am thinking about building a fanless server with JCAT Net card and HDPLEX PSU. I am wondering if the JCAT card is unnecessary if I have an ER before my end point. I am looking forward to your listening impression and comparison if you have an ER already.