IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

1 minute ago, thotdoc said:

Without setting up another player, is there a way I could tell it is Roon?

Have updated Roon to latest version 1.7 build 505?

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
1 hour ago, thotdoc said:

Roon is what I'm using. I'm not set up with another software player. And honestly, I don't want to have to use another as Roon manages my library, Tidal and Qobuz. And, I do not get pleasure from playing with the software...used to...but I'm working too hard and want to relax, not take on another project when I get home to relax.

Without setting up another player, is there a way I could tell it is Roon?

Seems the only thing you might try is to swap the eR for another switch to prove either the music source (Roon Server) or the eR is creating the problem.  What I'm assuming is that your were using a switch or the switch function of your router.  And in all instances of using Roon this happens: source is local music files, services (Tidal and Qobuz), radio stations?

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

2 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Seems the only thing you might try is to swap the eR for another switch to prove either the music source (Roon Server) or the eR is creating the problem.  What I'm assuming is that your were using a switch or the switch function of your router.

Thanks. I can switch back to the optical module.

I'll try that tomorrow.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

Just now, thotdoc said:

Thanks. I can switch back to the optical module.

I'll try that tomorrow.

Oh...optical.  That's a whole other wrinkle in the picture.  I'd thought you were using all copper.  I've never used optical, so I don't know what problems may occur with that, especially using the eR versus whatever you'd been using previously that worked.  Might not be an apples to apples comparison, so more difficult to problem solve.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

1 hour ago, octaviars said:

Have updated Roon to latest version 1.7 build 505?

Interesting. After I changed the FW the system worked for several days. Tonite when I started up, there was a download of a new version of Roon software...then this happened. I'll have to check.  Thank you 

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

3 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

Interesting. After I changed the FW the system worked for several days. Tonite when I started up, there was a download of a new version of Roon software...then this happened. I'll have to check.  Thank you 

Well the new drop of Roon might explain things:

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 10.03.32 PM.png

Steve Schaffer

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Well done!  I've never seen a problem identified and fixed this quickly.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

9 hours ago, rickca said:

Well done!  I've never seen a problem identified and fixed this quickly.

I disagree. I get an email tonight that to update the firmware I have to read a "book" and open up the Etheregen. Why in heck wasn't it designed like other PC components to simply be an easy update by connecting an external ethernet or USB cable to it without having to take it apart and take out anything from the unit? And if I don't do the update, then its possible, from the email, that the Etheregen won't sound as good as the units being built and shipped out from this point forward. I am not impressed by this at all!

Steve Bruzonsky

The firmware update instructions work if you follow them (using Windows at least). I’m not daunted by undoing some screws and pulling a circuit board out and it does literally take 5 minutes if you read through everything first. But if doing updates isn’t your thing just ask someone who is computer literate to do it for you. Ultimately, there will always be a small subsection of people who need local support. If anyone in the West Midlands, UK needs a hand, drop me a line.

6 hours ago, emailists said:

I’d be curious to see if anyone else on a Mac can update the ER.  I had to use a PC.  

I updated the ER from my MAC no problem

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

9 hours ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

I disagree. I get an email tonight that to update the firmware I have to read a "book" and open up the Etheregen. Why in heck wasn't it designed like other PC components to simply be an easy update by connecting an external ethernet or USB cable to it without having to take it apart and take out anything from the unit? And if I don't do the update, then its possible, from the email, that the Etheregen won't sound as good as the units being built and shipped out from this point forward. I am not impressed by this at all!

Steve Bruzonsky

This is really nagging for nothing. It’s never right. I sympathize with you Alex and John 😎

I just did the update with a Mac and finished within 10 minutes. I am not a computer nerd, but if you can put a book on an e-reader, you can do this easy with the (good) description of Alex

Moreover, i think it is logical that the micro usb is inside, so that people do not try anything and then uptone (alex) should solve the consequence and they already need their time for more important things!

10 hours ago, thyname said:

I “only” have their Atmosphere X Reference Ethernet Cable (and the equivalent USB cable), and it’s amazing. I wish I could afford the Galileo SX line

That's what I own also. It is amazing, but but but .... Galileo. Ready to sell my LP collection to fund this purchase. Still wondering if the metal connector is compatible with EtherRegen but.... 🦗🦗🦗

Firmware updated successfully.

I must love my EtherREGEN 'cos I could have done it in a few minutes, but took much longer so that I didn't make any silly mistakes like dropping my screwdriver on her naked inners.

(Someone once told me that you can change how neurotic you are about a treasured new guitar by dropping a bunch of keys on it. Well - I didn't try that with my EtherREGEN.)

There's a delicious smell inside her. Like burning wood in the open when you're young. Or the whiff of antique furniture emanating from my Snell Type A IIIs when I walk into my listening room. Some foods are like that. Champagne foods I call them. Like Prosciutto and Dolcelatte. OK not Prosciutto any more as I've gone pescetarian to support the wife. But you know what I mean. The smell inside the EtherREGEN is probably just some factory fabrication odour - but to me it's one of life's little pleasures.

Anyway - before I digress too far - I just want to confirm without any hesitation whatsoever that I obtained an immediate and unmistakeable (I say very significant) uptick in SQ. Space around instruments. Focus. Depth. Detail. Know the individual members of the band better. Whatever.

More congratulations to Alex and John. I truly hope they are getting some kicks out of their achievement alongside what must be an inevitable strain.

And I truly hope, with a collegiate heart, that some sweet day the sceptics come to confess the audiophile credentials of this device.

20191127_113123_HDR.jpg

7 hours ago, Steve Bruzonsky said:

Steve Bruzonsky

Here's the firmware  update instructions:

":EtherREGEN Firmware Update Guide 
 These instructions will guide you through a simple procedure to update the code that gets loaded into the main switch chip of your EtherREGEN when it starts up. Such updates are issued to improve function and performance of the EtherREGEN. Please read this entire guide first and then follow these instructions carefully and in exact order. 
 To perform the update you will need the following items: • A computer with a USB port and a display that you can see and control. It can be a Windows, Linux, or Macintosh computer, as long as you are familiar with it and have the ability to move files with it. • The new firmware file from UpTone. Its filename begins with “EtherREGEN_firmware_” followed by a date and ending with the extension “.uf2”. This file was inside the .ZIP file which you either downloaded from the UpTone website or were provided with directly. • A Torx T10 size screwdriver or driver tip bit—to remove just the rear plate of the EtherREGEN. [Any hardware store will sell these. A Torx T9 size may also be used, but do not attempt to use a hex (“Allen”) key as such will not remove and will damage the screws.] • A standard USB ‘A’ to microUSB cable. [microUSB cables often are included with mobile phone chargers. Just be sure it has data wires and is not just a thin 2-wire power-only charging cable.] • The EtherREGEN itself and a suitable AC>DC power adapter. [The power adapter shipped with every EtherREGEN would be most appropriate.] 
 Once you have the above items, proceed as follows: 1) Unplug the DC power cable and all Ethernet cables from your EtherREGEN. 
 2) Bring both the EtherREGEN and its power supply to the desk where your computer is located. 
 3) Completely remove the knurled stainless steel Ground screw from the back (‘B’side) of the EtherREGEN. [It is 13mm long so it will take a few turns to remove.] If you have installed a fiber optic module in the SFP cage on the ‘A’ side, remove it now. 
 4) Using a Torx T10 screwdriver, remove only the two screws at the left and right of the ‘B’ side of the EtherREGEN. [This is the side with the power LED, DC jack, Ground screw, etc.] If you wish to stand up the EtherREGEN—on its ‘A’-side front—to make screw removal easier, please place the unit on some padding so you do not damage the protruding SFP cage or scratch your desk. These screws are also somewhat long. 
 5) Once the end panel is removed, carefully slide the entire EtherREGEN circuit board out of its case. [It will slide out easily as long as you pull evenly.] Set the board on a soft/padded surface so that the pins on its underside do not scratch your desk. 
 6) Attach the ‘A’ plug of your USB cable to an available USB port on your computer. It is important that your computer be powered on before the next steps. 
 7) Locate the microUSB jack that stands vertically on the EtherREGEN’s circuit board. It is located between the back of the SFP cage and the largest square heat sink. Under good light, look closely at both the tab inside the microUSB jack and the opening of the microUSB plug of your cable. The plug will fit only if you have it turned to mate correctly. Gently insert the plug into the jack. It does not take much force to insert it. The jack on the board is not a deep one and the plug inserts just 4mm. If it does not insert easily, check again the orientation. Once inserted, be sure that the cable is supported and not pulled on—so that the jack and circuit board do not get damaged. 
 Before the next step, you must confirm that the USB cable is already attached both to your running computer and to the microUSB port of the EtherREGEN as detailed on the previous page. 
😎 Apply power to the EtherREGEN by plugging the DC cable—of its supplied AC>DC adapter— into the black DC-barrel jack located near the edge of the circuit board, next to the power LED. [Be sure that no undue force is placed on the DC power jack; A torn off DC jack is not repairable and not covered under warranty.] The power LED should light. 
 9) As soon as you apply power to the EtherREGEN (with the USB cable attached beforehand), a virtual drive volume will be mounted on your computer, much as a USB flash/thumb drive normally would.  
 10) At your computer screen, open a file system window (File Explorer in Windows, File Manager in Linux, and Finder in macOS). Look for a mounted drive volume named “EREGENBOOT”. 
 11) Click on or highlight the ‘EREGENBOOT’ volume so that you can see its contents. Observe that it contains 3 files with the following names: CURRENT.UF2, INDEX.HTM, and INFO_UF2.TXT. Do not move, alter, or attempt to open these files. 
 12) While leaving the EREGENBOOT volume and files visible, open a new file system window and navigate to the folder containing the new firmware file you received or downloaded. Again, its name is “EtherREGEN_firmware_” with a date and the extension “.uf2”. 
 13) Highlight and drag the new firmware file into the EREGENBOOT virtual drive volume, as if you were trying to copy it to that folder/drive. 
 The new file will be copied into the EREGENBOOT volume but you will not see it there! The way you will know that you successfully copied the updated firmware is that the EREGENBOOT volume will instantly un-mount and the window with the 3 files you saw before will disappear. With many common operating systems the EREGENBOOT volume will reappear almost immediately. [You may also get a message saying that the device was not properly ejected; that is okay.] 
 Unfortunately, you will not be able to look at or in any the 3 files of the EREGENBOOT volume to confirm that the new firmware was installed (no version numbers are contained). Again, you will not ever see the file named “EtherREGEN_firmware_XX-XX-XX.uf2” in the virtual drive volume. As long as you saw the volume briefly un-mount/disappear, then you have successfully installed the new EtherREGEN firmware. If you are unsure, you can repeat the drag-and-“copy” operation again. It is not necessary to unpower/repower the EtherREGEN between copy attempts. 
 14) Unplug the microUSB cable from the EtherREGEN circuit board. 15) Unplug the DC power cable from the EtherREGEN’s power jack. 16) Carefully slide the circuit board back into the case, being sure that it is right side up. [It will go in easily as long as you keep it even at each side.] 17) Align the back panel with the jacks of the board and reattach with the two screws using a Torx T10 screwdriver. 18) Insert the Ground screw back into the hole located to the right of the DC power jack and tighten. 19) Check to be sure the CLOCK INT/EXT switch is set correctly (to INT for most people) before applying power to the EtherREGEN. 
 20) Reconnect the EtherREGEN in your music system and enjoy! "

First world problems...

3 hours ago, owldiscourse said:

That's what I own also. It is amazing, but but but .... Galileo. Ready to sell my LP collection to fund this purchase. Still wondering if the metal connector is compatible with EtherRegen but.... 🦗🦗🦗

Probably a good idea to actually contact Synergistic Research to get the details on just what spec they are using for their implementation and if UTP or STP or some other variant.

Steve Schaffer

I just completed firmware update and everything seems to work fine. FYI, I didn’t realize I had an issue with EtherRegen but now I realize I did. I use a sonictransporter for Roon Core. When I plugged sonictransporter Ethernet cable into sonictransporter, Roon could not find Core. So I got it to work by plugging sonictransporter into Ethernet port on router. Now, after firmware update, I can plug sonictransporter Ethernet directly into EtherRegen. However, now I have copper Ethernet from router going to EtherRegen B port so I can use optical from A side to my optical renduSE. So I have two inputs into A side ( optical to rendu and copper to sonictransporter. I’m still a bit confused on how to use A ports in this configuration. Would I be better off plugging sonictransporter back into router so I leave A ports empty except for optical?

1 hour ago, lxgreen said:

However, now I have copper Ethernet from router going to EtherRegen B port so I can use optical from A side to my optical renduSE. So I have two inputs into A side ( optical to rendu and copper to sonictransporter. I’m still a bit confused on how to use A ports in this configuration. Would I be better off plugging sonictransporter back into router so I leave A ports empty except for optical?

That’s exactly the setup I plan, when my ER arrives next month. So I also would like some feedback on this. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

2 hours ago, lxgreen said:

I just completed firmware update and everything seems to work fine. FYI, I didn’t realize I had an issue with EtherRegen but now I realize I did. I use a sonictransporter for Roon Core. When I plugged sonictransporter Ethernet cable into sonictransporter, Roon could not find Core. So I got it to work by plugging sonictransporter into Ethernet port on router. Now, after firmware update, I can plug sonictransporter Ethernet directly into EtherRegen. However, now I have copper Ethernet from router going to EtherRegen B port so I can use optical from A side to my optical renduSE. So I have two inputs into A side ( optical to rendu and copper to sonictransporter. I’m still a bit confused on how to use A ports in this configuration. Would I be better off plugging sonictransporter back into router so I leave A ports empty except for optical?

If you are feeding your optical rendu from the SFP on the A side then you do not want to have any other devices connected on the A side because the other devices clock phase noise will contaminate the ground on the A side.... You should connect your SonicTransporter to your router... You want everything else on the B side of the moat 👍

3 hours ago, Bricki said:

If you are feeding your optical rendu from the SFP on the A side then you do not want to have any other devices connected on the A side because the other devices clock phase noise will contaminate the ground on the A side.... You should connect your SonicTransporter to your router... You want everything else on the B side of the moat 👍

I know that this guidance has been mentioned in previous posts but then more recent posting say it’s ok to use other A ports. That’s why I’m still not sure.

3 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

I know that this guidance has been mentioned in previous posts but then more recent posting say it’s ok to use other A ports. That’s why I’m still not sure.

It's ok to use other A side ports if your dac attached renderer/endpoint is connected to the B side... But if your dac attached renderer/endpoint is on the A side then you will be introducing the other A side devices clock phase noise to your endpoint

27 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

@lxgreen Please see my post on Nov.10 about a very similar interrogation to the one you have. The answer by @JohnSwenson was unequivocal:

On 11/10/2019 at 6:57 PM, André Gosselin said:

In my current network setup, a NAS is connected to my router upstairs. An ethernet cable goes downstairs to an unmanaged switch in my music room. To the switch are connected two different renderers. 1- sonore optical module/optical rendu combo, and 2- Simaudio 780Dv2 with an internal Mind2 ethernet module . No other equipment connects to the switch.

Reading the ER documentation, I see that the ER can be operated in "backward" mode with the connection to a router on the B side, and the SFP module on the A side connected by optical cable to the OpticalRendu. The manual suggests than nothing else be connected to the A side, but I think I saw a post by @JohnSwenson where he limited this restraint to non-audio equipment. So it would not be harmful to connect also the Simaudio 780Dv2 to the A side, but no additional non-audio equipment

In short, I am hoping that using an ER, I could simplify my current setup by :

- getting rid of my unmanaged switch and replacing it by the ER

- removing the optical module and connecting to the OpticalRendu from the SFP on the A side

- connecting the Simaudio 780Dv2 to a second port of the A side

- having only those 2 audio connections to the A side, and nothing else

- running a cable from my router to the ER B side

- having all non-audio equipment (NAS, PC's, etc) connected to the router and not to the ER

Could you comment on the above setup ? Is it  a sound one ? In particular, would the 2nd audio equipment (Simaudio 780Dv2) connected to the A side benefit from the ER upstream isolation, or would it harm the SQ of the OpticalRendu ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What you are describing is probably the best way to go.  In this case most of the packets are going to the endpoints, hence crossing the moat, thus there should be little interaction between endpoints.

That is certainly how I would connect things.

John S.

It appears crystal clear to me that you can connect more than one audio equipment to the A side, if everything goes through the moat from the router on the B side, and the NAS/music server is connected to the router (and, I guess, provided that PS are not shared between endpoints on the A side.). "That is the way I would connect things", to quote John.

2 minutes ago, André Gosselin said:

@lxgreen Please see my post on Nov.10 about a very similar interrogation to the one you have. The answer by @JohnSwenson was unequivocal:

•  
  •  
  •  
  • 1644 posts

What you are describing is probably the best way to go.  In this case most of the packets are going to the endpoints, hence crossing the moat, thus there should be little interaction between endpoints.

That is certainly how I would connect things.

John S.

It appears crystal clear to me that you can connect more than one audio equipment to the A side, if everything goes through the moat from the router on the B side, and the NAS/music server is connected to the router (and, I guess, provided that PS are not shared between endpoints on the A side.). "That is the way I would connect things", to quote John.

Yes, however, @lxgreen has his SonicTransporter on the A side... In this case, those packets between server and endpoint are not crossing the moat... I think@JohnSwenson was talking about multiple endpoints on the A side would be ok... I still think that @lxgreen would be better off with his SonicTransporter attached to his router to ensure that packets between server and endpoint are crossing the moat 👍