IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

13 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Maybe someday I'll have enough money to buy some REALLY, REALLY good test equipment to measure this level of thing, but that is highly unlikely.

And to be clear, John is NOT referring to things like the Audio Precision boxes so beloved by our vocal, skeptical (and recently downright nasty) critics. An AP rig is fine for many things in the analog domain, but not for the sort of work and research John is referring to.

The equipment he is talking about is in the 6 figure range, not the 5 figure range...:o

Every cable loony should read that every night before they go to sleep:

Changes made by different cable lengths and material types etc make such small changes in the signal that they are incredibly hard to measure. The only exception are cables that are radically out of spec.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

This may be slightly controversial here - not sure but I was accidentally sent an Ethernet cable Friday that I couldn't resist to install in my system... I couldn't believe what I heard when I put it into the system (explosion in all the soundstage dimensions, layering, pace, another octave of subjective bass, crazy transparency and realism) since I had one from the same company only a couple levels down from it. Now I won't say I cannot live without it but right now with my Nighthawk switch I most certainly would say that I cannot live without it, at least until my EtherRegen arrives sometime next month (I hope). My question after researching this cable on the SR website is that it appears much of the design around it is about *surprise surprise* digital noise reduction. Now my longwinded question is - would keeping this cable be additive to what the EtherRegen will be doing or would it be obviated by the NR in the EtherRegen? Is this an example of a metal connector that you're not supposed to use with the EtherRegen?????? (see attached pic). TIA!!!

GalileoUEFEthernet2_2048x2048.jpg

14 minutes ago, owldiscourse said:

This may be slightly controversial here - not sure but I was accidentally sent an Ethernet cable Friday that I couldn't resist to install in my system... I couldn't believe what I heard when I put it into the system (explosion in all the soundstage dimensions, layering, pace, another octave of subjective bass, crazy transparency and realism) since I had one from the same company only a couple levels down from it. Now I won't say I cannot live without it but right now with my Nighthawk switch I most certainly would say that I cannot live without it, at least until my EtherRegen arrives sometime next month (I hope). My question after researching this cable on the SR website is that it appears much of the design around it is about *surprise surprise* digital noise reduction. Now my longwinded question is - would keeping this cable be additive to what the EtherRegen will be doing or would it be obviated by the NR in the EtherRegen? Is this an example of a metal connector that you're not supposed to use with the EtherRegen?????? (see attached pic). TIA!!!

GalileoUEFEthernet2_2048x2048.jpg

I would suggest that when the ER arrives, you try your system with and without the cable and see whether it makes a difference to you.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

24 minutes ago, owldiscourse said:

Jud - good advice but because it was sent to me accidentally I have to send it back before the EtherRegen comes in. 

Sorry to hear that. Wonder if The Cable Company has one available for loan?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Having many SR Galileo cables in my system, I can vouch for their SQ versus other options, both analogue and digital.  I don't use an Ethernet version of this particular line, and would love to have one to compare to Shunyata Sigma I currently use, but at a quarter of the price.  My local dealer carries both product lines, so I'll need to find out if they've even brought in an SR Galileo for evaluation. 

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

5 minutes ago, Ehsu said:

I was wrong about the latest firmware update.... It did not lose any musicality at all. Its better everywhere slightly. It was my ears!! Sorry, Alex and John. I just realised that I had some issue with my ear or ears in last few days 😞 It was partially blocked like living in a vacuum from time to time in last few days. It comes and go, never experienced this in my life. I hope that its not a sign of losing my hearing......

Anyway, I had a good listen tonight when my ears are clear and music I heard was full of life!

On a side note, I came across a product called Net Isolator from Jcat while I was surfing for audiophile quality ethernet cables without metal plugs. The description of it sounded so similar to ER but strangely its not powered.

• Install between the Ethernet cable which connects to home network (the router or the switch) and the network audio component (music server, network renderer)
  • For best performance install in close distance to the network audio  component (music server, network  renderer)
  • The Ethernet cable entering the NET Isolator from home network (the router or the switch) does not have to be very high quality, but it is recommended that the short Ethernet cable from the NET Isolator to the network audio component (music server, network renderer) is audio-grade – it is of most importance
  • The NET Isolator eliminates harshness caused by the network noise and makes the listening stressfree. Noisefloor is lower, music flows more effortless and finer details can be heard easily

I wonder whats the difference if anyone knows about it? 

There're many passive filters in the market place.

SOtMN for one https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/dcbl-cat7/

I'm sure they do assist in a way, but the active ER is a different ballgame.

You can read reviews and form your own option, or just get a filter with money-back and give it a spin.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

1 hour ago, Ehsu said:

I was wrong about the latest firmware update.... It did not lose any musicality at all. Its better everywhere slightly. It was my ears!! Sorry, Alex and John. I just realised that I had some issue with my ear or ears in last few days 😞 It was partially blocked like living in a vacuum from time to time in last few days. It comes and go, never experienced this in my life. I hope that its not a sign of losing my hearing......

Anyway, I had a good listen tonight when my ears are clear and music I heard was full of life!

On a side note, I came across a product called Net Isolator from Jcat while I was surfing for audiophile quality ethernet cables without metal plugs. The description of it sounded so similar to ER but strangely its not powered.

• Install between the Ethernet cable which connects to home network (the router or the switch) and the network audio component (music server, network renderer)
  • For best performance install in close distance to the network audio  component (music server, network  renderer)
  • The Ethernet cable entering the NET Isolator from home network (the router or the switch) does not have to be very high quality, but it is recommended that the short Ethernet cable from the NET Isolator to the network audio component (music server, network renderer) is audio-grade – it is of most importance
  • The NET Isolator eliminates harshness caused by the network noise and makes the listening stressfree. Noisefloor is lower, music flows more effortless and finer details can be heard easily

I wonder whats the difference if anyone knows about it? 

EtherRegen is a network switch (a complex electronic device) and NET isolator is a simpler device which provides additional isolation   - it doesn't regenerate/reclock the signal. 

Regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

I am an audio enthusiast living in Korea.
I received EtherREGEN from UK UPTONE distributor Audiostore today (I am the primary buyer).
Unfortunately, connecting to side B does not capture the internet signal.
Fortunately, the A side connection works fine.
I was using SOtM's sNH-10G (included with sCLK-EX).
The A-side connection sound quality of EtherREGEN sounds better than SOtM's sNH-10G.
Is there a way to use B side of EtherREGEN?
Is it a firmware problem?
Where is the new firmware released?

5 minutes ago, J.J said:

I am an audio enthusiast living in Korea.

Hi: I did just now receive your e-mail and replied plus sent you the new firmware directly.

My apologies to everyone with regards to delay in getting the new firmware posted to our web site for full public release.  We are tracking an inbound snowstorm and trying to get out some important FedEx packages to dealers and users (not EtherREGEN) today.  Once we get that done I'll focus this afternoon on the blog post, web links, and notifications about the new firmware. Until then I am not going to avoid replying to any direct e-mails (our e-mail box is what derails me most days O.o).

Thanks,

--Alex C.

18 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

Having many SR Galileo cables in my system, I can vouch for their SQ versus other options, both analogue and digital.  I don't use an Ethernet version of this particular line, and would love to have one to compare to Shunyata Sigma I currently use, but at a quarter of the price.  My local dealer carries both product lines, so I'll need to find out if they've even brought in an SR Galileo for evaluation. 

Highly suggest you seek one out. Mine has been tracked down so I'm going to have to ship it back out ASAP which is a shame since I wanted to try it on the EtherRegen. It's the first time I've had another Galileo in my setup and its effect seems to be additive to what the SR does well. In fact what it's doing is so similar to what folks in the other thread are describing when they install their EtherRegens it's a bit uncanny.

8 minutes ago, owldiscourse said:

Highly suggest you seek one out. Mine has been tracked down so I'm going to have to ship it back out ASAP which is a shame since I wanted to try it on the EtherRegen. It's the first time I've had another Galileo in my setup and its effect seems to be additive to what the SR does well. In fact what it's doing is so similar to what folks in the other thread are describing when they install their EtherRegens it's a bit uncanny.

I “only” have their Atmosphere X Reference Ethernet Cable (and the equivalent USB cable), and it’s amazing. I wish I could afford the Galileo SX line

1 hour ago, thotdoc said:

OK. I installed the firmware several days ago. No problems till now.

Now: A new file was starting to play and the sound became very thin and scratchy and then the sound stopped.

Music is playing from Tidal as the little "chart" next to the song file is moving up and down...but the indicator at the bottom of the screen is not moving to the right.

I tried Qobuz and music from my hard drive. Nothing

You using Roon? I had similar issue once last week but it was because of Roon I believe. It was also only an issue for 1 zone, no problem with others

19 minutes ago, Ehsu said:

You using Roon? I had similar issue once last week but it was because of Roon I believe. It was also only an issue for 1 zone, no problem with others

Roon is what I'm using. I'm not set up with another software player. And honestly, I don't want to have to use another as Roon manages my library, Tidal and Qobuz. And, I do not get pleasure from playing with the software...used to...but I'm working too hard and want to relax, not take on another project when I get home to relax.

Without setting up another player, is there a way I could tell it is Roon?

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"