IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

32 minutes ago, cool_chris said:

I got my ER last week.

I placed It in my system but SQ was little dissapointing.

So I satarted burn in process with hope to get the better SQ.

The only thing I got is my totaldac server to dissapear form my mconnect HD app I use as a remote on my ipad.

There is no way to bring it back . There must be a softwere issue. 

Alex could you please help me with this?

I hope it is not happening to the others .

I cant use it in my system now. Not sure why ?
when placed between the NAS and network the same story.

nas dissapears from network.....

Perhaps it could come from the Totaldac server : it is known to be not so stable depending on the version you run.

1 hour ago, FrankMA said:

Glad for you Thotdoc.

I'm pretty frustrated. Wish I hadn't introduced another variable (Roon 1.7).  Had 4-5 occurrences this AM. Rebooted the entire network again and it is working now.  If it stops again (likely) I'll go back to the Cisco and see if I can isolate or eliminate the cause.

is this with Tidal/Qobuz only or your local files too?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I haven’t had any issues since Nenon (thanks so much!) helped me with identifying and disabling  EEE in AL.  It’s been running smooth without any hiccups for the past week.  Upgraded to Roon 1.7 a few days ago and no issues.  I’m hesitant to update to the new firmware when it gets released since everything has been running so well.

1 hour ago, cool_chris said:

The only thing I got is my totaldac server to dissapear form my mconnect HD app I use as a remote on my ipad.

There is no way to bring it back . There must be a softwere issue. 

Alex could you please help me with this?

I hope it is not happening to the others .

I cant use it in my system now. Not sure why ?
when placed between the NAS and network the same story.

nas dissapears from network.....

Hi Chris:

Please send me a message via the Contact Us page of our website (NOT the private messaging system of this site).

I am trying to avoid sending out the successful new firmware individually (planning to spend time today on a blog post and the web site posting of the firmware), but since you are having troubles, I can get it to you as part of the "preview group" who have been having success with the new code all weekend. Pretty sure this will solve your problem, though please do write in your message what devices you have connected to each side of the EtherREGEN.

4 hours ago, Summit said:

I have read that Up Tone recommend the ER to be placed close to the endpoint. Have anyone tested to place the ER both close to the endpoint and further away and can tell me if there is any perceived degradation in SQ by move it like 10 meter?  

Close in terms of position in the signal chain, not in terms of physical distance.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

9 hours ago, FrankMA said:

I'm still having a bit of an issue. Have to do some digging to see if this could be Roon 1.7.

I started streaming at 9:30AM yesterday. Before I went to bed at 10:30 or so it had stopped.  Got it running again by hitting Play Now at the top of my Roon queue.  The odd thing is Roon looks like it is playing (meters near the song working, in Play mode) but the song is not incrementing (on 0.00 and I'm getting no output). But I do get Track Not Available in Tidal/Qobuz (connectivity blip?) when I see this.

Same condition when I woke up this AM.

Each time I have searched for my player I still see it on the network (prior to the fix I didn't) so I'm not sure it's the same network connectivity/ER issue because before once the music was stopped the player was not on the network.

Still at the drawing board

I think its a Roon 1.7 issue; I've been having similar issues ever since upgrading to it. It seems like Roon goes into a  "sleep mode" and needs to be woken up if its not being actively used, e.g. overnight. My Roon Core is on a small computer in my bedroom/study, and I interface with it using Roon on my MBP in the living room/listening roon. I often came back to the MBP with Roon saying its trying to connect to the default Roon Core. I have to go into the bedroom, open up the OS that the Roon Core is on, bring up Roon (its open and running) and then it comes back on my MBP in the living room. Didn't have these issues of connectivity with 1.6. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

On 11/23/2019 at 11:29 AM, stevebythebay said:

Wouldn't switching from an STP to UTP also "fix" the problem?  Try a simple Cat6a for all your copper Ethernet to see if that makes things work best.

A UTP would work, the other proviso is the routing of the power supplies that noise isn’t  transported via the mains. Simplest way I find is to create a drawing and determine the noise makers and how to isolate the trouble. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, dminches said:

is this with Tidal/Qobuz only or your local files too?

Streaming (Tidal/Qobuz)

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

58 minutes ago, Puma Cat said:

It seems like Roon goes into a  "sleep mode" and needs to be woken up if its not being actively used, e.g. overnight. 

I don't think this is my issue. My Roon Core is on the Innuos MKII SE. Does not go to sleep like a normal computer

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

9 minutes ago, Abolive said:

Hello,

I'm sorry for this simple/stupid question: I don't have enough ethernet ports on my ISP box for all my gear. Can I use the free ports on the A side to link different devices to my network (Philips Hue, Xbox for exemple)?

Yep. As long as you’re using the B side for your audio endpoint, that should work fine.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

24 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Streaming (Tidal/Qobuz)

This seems to be an issue for Roon 1.7 users.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

22 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

I don't think this is my issue. My Roon Core is on the Innuos MKII SE. Does not go to sleep like a normal computer

I’ve been having no issues with my Innuos Zenith MKII Std (except for the typical Experimental mode hiccups).  Maybe if we figure out what’s different about our setups it might point to a fix.  Feel free to send me a PM.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

7 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

As a former quality assurance analyst I would say: beta test and then some, especially to ensure things don't merely get fixed, but don't break anything or degrade performance in the process.

I had new firmware since Sat. Not sure if I like the code change. I will be talking to UpTone about it to confirm. No dropouts though.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:00 PM, Ehsu said:

2hrs after firmware update. No dropouts so far. But to be honest, my last dropout was 3 days ago so time will tell.

However, I am not sure whether there is any improvements in SQ. Perhaps there is bigger soundstage? Perhaps better separation and imaging? Perhaps bass become a bit bloated for my liking? I thought it is slightly more hifi than music now. I was not tapping my feet as vigorously as before. Perhaps I was just too tired? Perhaps......

Either way, I think the differences are too minor to be 100% certain. I wonder what others ( unlucky or lucky few experienced dropouts ) think about this update?

Perhaps its time for bed 😞 Way past 2am for critical listening!

Now I found it: I think this should be reconsidered by @Superdador watched/tested closely. Best thing would be, if the user could set this particular setting in a very easy to find out what fits best. Either way: should be tested “sound wise” before shipping. 

4 minutes ago, Bernstein said:

Do you mean the change of sound?

I can’t compare because mine is running with new FW (couldn’t operate it before so...).

Yea, its very minor though so I can not be certain. I spoke with Alex before about the code changes. It supposed to improve the sound. So it could be just me. Maybe I was too tired at the time 😞 I need to spend more time listening to be sure. Plus it has been powered down to update firmware too. 

11 minutes ago, Superdad said:

That is what Eddie meant, but he needs to give it more time.

No, that is not going to be.  We are not making a "tunable" switch!

It has been.  The new firmware code results not only in fixing of the EEE issue, but it improves both transmit and receive performance of the PHYs in the switch for the RJ45 jacks on the 'A'-side.  It is technically AND sonically better. (And the latter I have now personally confirmed--before full public release. 9_9)

Agreed Alex! Interesting that this has a huge impact in B side! 

PS: No weekend for you thou?