IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

16 hours ago, Indydan said:

I hate to ask, but Alex, is there a chance we get the new firmware this weekend?

As per my previously announced plan, I have just now sent the firmware and guide via e-mail directly to the 10 people I have e-mail record of having some connectivity issues. Hopefully those users will test and report positively to us over the weekend. Then I will make the update available publicly on our web site--and announce it here of course.

Two requests:

1) If you happen to be a recipient of the firmware preview, please do not share the file publicly. I forgot to ask that in the e-mail that accompanied the file.

2) Please do not e-mail or message me requesting to be in the preview group. If the update takes care of the issue you will all have access to it next week.

Here is the two-page EtherREGEN Firmware Update Guide. I forgot to ask the preview group to give feedback on this guide, so you guys can read it and tell me if anything does not make sense to you.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

--Alex C.

1811531377_EtherREGENFirmwareUpdateGuidepg1.thumb.jpg.6b7cde9cfcb25cc1df10b992ae3af595.jpg

1910318990_EtherREGENFirmwareUpdateGuidepg2.thumb.jpg.1056bb366c6ade8ce93616781806c4c9.jpg

Thanks for the update Alex. Process was easy. I found the instructions detailed & super simple to follow.

Streaming now and will report what I see. Big test will be over night

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

An explanation was offered on the Naim forum as to why I am getting dropouts with Tidal. It is very technical, so I will copy paste it.

"Essentially the network transport (TCP) windowing buffers were not large enough on the legacy streamers to comfortably handle ‘elastic’ data flows with higher bit rate data such as 44.1/16/2 Flac, and in extreme cases 320 Kbps AAC internet radio over the internet … that is flow latency due to internet routing, routing loading, server loading or home network loading/latency.
The legacy streamers were modified via firmware to optimise the data transport stack as far as possible to mitigate … but it is an inherent hardware and architecture limitation or vulnerability on the legacy streamers with the original transport.
You may find this happens from time to time on the old streamers and as conditions load more like your ISP back haul or your own broadband access it may appear to get worse. It may also vary from track to track, as tracks are spooled from different global cloud service providers that Tidal use… and the flow characteristics can vary from different servers and service providers."

Alex, can any of this elastic data flows or latency loading possibly be caused by the EtherRegen? 

Edit: I have put back the original switch to test. I am still getting Tidal dropouts with the original switch. It seems to be a problem with Tidal, and not the EtherRegen. 

I just got home from my most important, and best, job — taking care of my grandson. It took no more than 5 minutes to do the firmware update. The instructions are perfect. For me, the hardest part was rummaging around the house to find a micro usb cable.

All is working perfectly, and there does seem to be a sound quality uptick, although on topics like that, I'd rather not go on the record.

Thanks for making this so easy!

Question to current EtherRegen users, what have you placed your EtherRegen on?

Mine is behind my 2 Aavik tables sat on the wooden floor, as that’s where the 5-port CISCO switch was it has replaced & there is no shelf space available & that’s where all the Ethernet cables are, however should I be placing it on something isolating? And should that be a small bamboo chopping block or a cork pad (e.g. a table place mat).

My UltraRendu and UltraCap have the dual faceplate, so a larger unit, plus cables only coming from the rear of these units.

Does anyone have any suggested isolation components for these sized components?

Does placement affect the performance?

Is this the right thread for this type of question/discussion?

2 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

Question to current EtherRegen users, what have you placed your EtherRegen on?

Mine is on its side behind my rack.  Beneath is a tube damper (used long ago with a tube preamp).  I'm not claiming any differences in sound or that this is state of the art, just protecting the floor and aiding air circulation.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I'm still having a bit of an issue. Have to do some digging to see if this could be Roon 1.7.

I started streaming at 9:30AM yesterday. Before I went to bed at 10:30 or so it had stopped.  Got it running again by hitting Play Now at the top of my Roon queue.  The odd thing is Roon looks like it is playing (meters near the song working, in Play mode) but the song is not incrementing (on 0.00 and I'm getting no output). But I do get Track Not Available in Tidal/Qobuz (connectivity blip?) when I see this.

Same condition when I woke up this AM.

Each time I have searched for my player I still see it on the network (prior to the fix I didn't) so I'm not sure it's the same network connectivity/ER issue because before once the music was stopped the player was not on the network.

Still at the drawing board

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

7 hours ago, esmit said:

The new firmware has been running stable for 24 hours now. As a former programmer I would say: it builds! SHIP IT, SHIP IT! 😉

As a former quality assurance analyst I would say: beta test and then some, especially to ensure things don't merely get fixed, but don't break anything or degrade performance in the process.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

I got my ER last week.

I placed It in my system but SQ was little dissapointing.

So I satarted burn in process with hope to get the better SQ.

The only thing I got is my totaldac server to dissapear form my mconnect HD app I use as a remote on my ipad.

There is no way to bring it back . There must be a softwere issue. 

Alex could you please help me with this?

I hope it is not happening to the others .

I cant use it in my system now. Not sure why ?
when placed between the NAS and network the same story.

nas dissapears from network.....

2 hours ago, cool_chris said:

There must be a softwere issue.

Have you read about the upcoming firmware update and problems with EEE in the other EtherREGEN threads?

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57586-etherregen-installation-usage-difficulty-questions-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1006536

See earlier posts by Superdad and JohnSwenson in that thread for a discussion of the EEE issue.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Glad for you Thotdoc.

I'm pretty frustrated. Wish I hadn't introduced another variable (Roon 1.7).  Had 4-5 occurrences this AM. Rebooted the entire network again and it is working now.  If it stops again (likely) I'll go back to the Cisco and see if I can isolate or eliminate the cause.