IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

22 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

I don't think this is my issue. My Roon Core is on the Innuos MKII SE. Does not go to sleep like a normal computer

I’ve been having no issues with my Innuos Zenith MKII Std (except for the typical Experimental mode hiccups).  Maybe if we figure out what’s different about our setups it might point to a fix.  Feel free to send me a PM.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Lobbster said:

I moved my ER next to my Bricasti M1SE and then went digging deep for some short patch cables I though I had. Couldn't find the short patch cables, but I found a 3ft BJ Cat6 w JSSG360. This is pretty heavy and too long for my purpose, but fine for now. So I was thinking about getting something like a custom Ghent. This kind of begs the question - is there too short a cable or just enough to sit the ER directly behind the Bricasti, like 3 inches?

My Wireworld dealer at one time had some bulk Starlight cable and the tools to make custom lengths.  If that’s of interest send a PM and I could put you in touch with him.  He had also arranged for me to have the custom Audioquest cable that I now have up for sale.  He can no longer do custom lengths of AQ cables, but there are dealers who can.  Ghent is a great choice as well.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 2 weeks later...

My ER has been running only warm to the touch.  I think not having a good place on my rack to set it has been helping to keep it from getting hot.

I had clamped a pair of these headphone holders onto the back of one of the shelves of my Quadraspire rack to help with cable management.  As a temporary solution, I set the ER between these two holders taking advantage of the stiffness afforded to me by my choice of Ethernet cables.  My thinking had been that I’d find a better place to set the ER, but the complaints about have me thinking that I might have lucked out and already found it (especially if I can do a better job of organizing that mess of cables).  

P.S. The arrow is pointing in the wrong direction on the Starlight was addressed since taking that photo.  It’s now pointing in the direction of my Zenith.

ED2DB4EB-B722-4581-A528-0580E69D875F.thumb.jpeg.7b4af8f4dfdca76f2531974d992e9829.jpeg

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Rhed6 said:

I’m assuming a Mac mini would also be like a laptop? Noisy?

Yes, but a Mac Mini can be made to sound a lot better with Uptone’s MMK plus a JS-2.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, jjraffin said:

As a budget option instead of going down the Sonore optical path, would these components work for using the SFP cage of the ER?

Media Converter

https://www.fs.com/products/35334.html

or

https://www.tp-link.com/au/business-networking/accessory/mc220l/

SFP Module (Single Mode) x 2

https://www.fs.com/products/12674.html

or

https://www.tp-link.com/au/business-networking/accessory/tl-sm311ls/

And If I picked these, what would be the right Fiber for a 10m run?

FS sure is affordable.  Their SFP looks like a good choice given that it's 1000BASE-LX.  Their FMC looks good too - but you can save a few more bucks by picking the one with only a single RJ45.   I can't tell you how good these will be sonically though I doubt highly that they'd be as good as the Planet Tech SFPs plus the Optical Module.  Worth trying though.

This was the fiber I selected:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0099S4UTQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_f3LHEbPSYTPRJ

I appreciate you sharing these links as I will likely purchase one of the FS FMCs myself.  I want to isolate the segment going to my home theater system.  

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

So now it’s: Modem>2 ft Ethernet cable>WiFi wireless router> 20 ft ethernet cable>switch> 2 ft ethernet cable>Er>1 ft Ethernet cable> Streamer/server. The combination of the 1 foot cable instead of a 20 foot cable going out the ER plus a switch in the path is mind blowing.

Glad that worked out for you!  My recommendation would be that you swap that 20 ft cable with fiber, if possible. In other words:

Modem>2 ft Ethernet cable>WiFi wireless router> 1 ft ethernet cable> opticalModule > 18 ft fiber >Er>1 ft Ethernet cable> Streamer/server

1 hour ago, Vangelis said:

What I still can’t understand Is, when we are playing music from or SS Zenith drives it’s out via USB to our DACs, this music is not on the network, so why do I hear a improvement by getting noise out of my network? 

First off, like anything, there are good optical implementations and bad ones.  OM + ER with Finisar SFPs is in a different league.

I tried an experiment recently where I plugged my OM into a smart plug so I could “unplug” my network while a song was playing.  With a song playing, powering off my network made it seem as if the volume got lower.  Powering it back on, the volume seemed to increase slightly, but it was the return of a hard edge that fiber was unable to totally eliminate.  Powering the network back off brought back a more natural sound. 

See if you can have someone unplug your Ethernet cable while you are listening.  My guess is that network activity causes a detrimental impact regardless of where the music is stored.

• 8 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 8:03 AM, MartinT said:

If copper sounds best, stay with copper.  Don't get too swayed with all the talk of fibre - find the solution that works best in your system.

The challenge with that is that fiber doesn't sounds its best right out of the box.  @fuzzypoodlementioned that he found it "harsh and piercing".  It could be that those SFPs need more time to burn in.  Or maybe they were a sub-optimum choice.  Or maybe that Meraki switch is causing it.

If he were to instead have an opticalModule feeding the EtherRegen and was using the Finisar 1324 SFPs, I think there's a really good chance he'd prefer fiber.